Brad Watkins
    Last Activity
    01-06-2021 03:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 160 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times

Default Long overdue update! Need some advice/support

Hi all,
    Not sure if anyone remembers me, as it's been so long since my last post...
    I had my surgery in April, so I am almost at 8 months post-op. I am down about 50 pounds from my starting weight I am doing fairly well, but I haven't really lost any weight/pounds over the past two to three months... I fluctuate between 2-5 pounds gaining and then losing it over and over! It's so frustrating.
    I still struggle with making healthy food choices. I actually just joined Weight Watchers to see if it will help me get past this stall and make better food choices. And I like the idea of face-to-face support from other members. I also have fallen into the habit of snacking before bedtime (mostly out of boredom, but sometimes because of stress too). Any other advice/tips or support would be great!
    I do exercise and go to the YMCA a few times per week, but I have gotten a bit lazy with all of the over-time I am doing at work. Once I get off, I just want to go home and relax! Plus with it getting dark so early, that makes me so exhausted, and I just want to curl up on the couch
    I know what I need to do, but actually doing it is so difficult, LOL.
    Even though I haven't lost any weight recently, I do notice that my clothes continue to fit better! My surgeon is very pleased with my progress. My family doctor is also pleased, my lab results look very good and I have been able to drop 4 medications!
    Just wanted to give you all an update, sorry it's been so long!
    Dee

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kane
    Last Activity
    06-17-2020 12:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Re: Long overdue update! Need some advice/support

Hi Dee
    OMG you sound just like me! My surgery was 1 1/2 years ago, I lost 93 lbs (was still 21 from my goal) and now I've regained about 12 lbs. I too am excercising but since it has gotten cold and dark I find myself thinking of every excuse to just stay home... and home in the evening is definitely my trouble time! I am either snacking all night or fighting the urge to snack all night!
    I just joined a second gym that is closer to my house... I'm planning to do the "pouch reset" diet (https://www.obesitycoverage.com/the-...weight-regain/) and start going to the gym later in the evening, after dinner, so I'm not home snacking! I also enjoy crafting, with the holidays coming if I keep really busy doing crafts it helps me forget about snacking. Just watching TV is a killer, there are so many food cues it's crazy! I also just set up my Roku so I can get You Tube videos on my TV... I love Zumba, and my plan is to (if I do watch TV) do a few Zumba videos between shows!

I've never gotten all the way to my goal, and I've come so far I don't want to backslide!! You are definitely not alone with your struggles. Keep struggling, keep fighting. Like you said you know what to do, now you must do it! Set some small realistic goals for yourself, and write them down. Keep them on a card by your desk, on your fridge, on the snack cabinet, and refer to them daily. Tracking everything on MyFitnessPal is key for me, but you must find what works for you! Don't give up!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Luv49ers19's Avatar
    Name
    Cody
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Daniel Leslie
    Last Activity
    09-27-2018 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 760 Times
    Was Thanked 547 Times in 375 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 275 Times
    Blog Entries

Those are great suggestions Linda!

Dee I know it is so hard not to focus on that stupid number on the scale (I'm totally guilty here) but focus on the clothes and measurements. Those nsv are the biggest signs you are headed in the right direction. Good luck!
    Hw: 260
    Sw: 260 10/23/16
    Weight at time of sleeve 209 (-51)
    Sleeve date 5/23/17
    1 month:187 (-22)
    2 month:178 (-9)
    3 month:172 (-6)
    4 month:162 (-10)
    5 month:150 (-12) (10/28/17) 6 month goal!!!!
    6 month: 143 (-7)
    7 month: 136 (-7)
    8 month: 131 (-5) made goal weight 130 (2/8/2017)
    9 month: 125 (-6)
    10 month: 120 (-5)
    11 month: 115 (-5)
    1 year: 114 (-1)
    16 months: 120 (+6)

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Last Activity
    08-21-2022 11:58 AM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 265 Times in 156 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 209 Times

D1618, you're feeling normal. We all have those down times where we just want to go home and get away from work. I was a slow loser. It took me 16 months to lose 103 pounds I has stalls and a few times where I went up and down the same weight staircase. Just don't give up. One thing that helped me with my nightly snack (which I blamed on the dog) was to save a few bites from diner and have that as my snack. That kept me in compliance with what I was supposed to be eating. Also, if you are truly hungry have proten not carbs. True hunger means your body didn't get enough protein to sustain you until your next meal. Hang in there, it gets better, and don't give up. You've come to far.

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/18/2017
    Surgeon
    Brad Watkins
    Last Activity
    01-06-2021 03:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 160 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times

Quote Originally Posted by mellowjoy View Post
    D1618, you're feeling normal. We all have those down times where we just want to go home and get away from work. I was a slow loser. It took me 16 months to lose 103 pounds I has stalls and a few times where I went up and down the same weight staircase. Just don't give up. One thing that helped me with my nightly snack (which I blamed on the dog) was to save a few bites from diner and have that as my snack. That kept me in compliance with what I was supposed to be eating. Also, if you are truly hungry have proten not carbs. True hunger means your body didn't get enough protein to sustain you until your next meal. Hang in there, it gets better, and don't give up. You've come to far.
    Thanks everyone for the encouragement!!
    I love the idea of saving a few bites from dinner to use as your snack. I think I will try that. I usually snack on a P3 or Sargento Balanced Breaks, which are both a good source of protein. But, then after I have those, I want something sweet, then something salty again. I need to find something healthier to do with my hands, so I think I will have to work on my crafting projects more often.
    Thanks again!

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Crochet?! I have a blanket I need to finish that has been sitting there 2 years lol! Good luck with it all , I'm sure you can sort it out :-)

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I just joined Weight Watchers too and really like it. Just came home from the grocery store after scanning a lot of my old "go-to" foods and put them back on the shelf when I realized how high they were in points. Not to mention now Weight Watchers is exactly how we sleeve patients should be eating! Things like fish, seafood, chicken, eggs, beans, and all fruits and veggies are FREE. And better than a regular Weight Watchers member, getting by on the points they give you is a breeze, because we can't eat that much. (Back in the day I was so hungry I would eat all my points by lunch. Didn't work.)

Before I was only counting protein. (My nut said to only count protein and liquid!!) So I'd eat the high in sugar Greek Yogurt, or the cheese, nut, craisin snack pack because they were high in protein. Or I'd eat nuts by the handful. Already lost 3 or 4 pounds this first week.

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I like to snack at night too. One thing that helps me is that I use that time to come check in on here and the other is that I will have 1-2 sugar free popsicles. That helps me with my sweet cravings. And occasionally if I need salty I will have some air popped popcorn.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    I just joined Weight Watchers too and really like it. Just came home from the grocery store after scanning a lot of my old "go-to" foods and put them back on the shelf when I realized how high they were in points. Not to mention now Weight Watchers is exactly how we sleeve patients should be eating! Things like fish, seafood, chicken, eggs, beans, and all fruits and veggies are FREE. And better than a regular Weight Watchers member, getting by on the points they give you is a breeze, because we can't eat that much. (Back in the day I was so hungry I would eat all my points by lunch. Didn't work.)

Before I was only counting protein. (My nut said to only count protein and liquid!!) So I'd eat the high in sugar Greek Yogurt, or the cheese, nut, craisin snack pack because they were high in protein. Or I'd eat nuts by the handful. Already lost 3 or 4 pounds this first week.
    Glad to hear the weight watchers has helped you!! You are almost down the 5 you gained. That is awesome!

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Yea, sraebaer! So glad WW is giving you the structure you needed and wanted. Good show.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Jean
    Surgery date
    11/30/2017
    Surgeon
    Clifforth
    Last Activity
    02-21-2023 06:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 78 Times
    Was Thanked 115 Times in 92 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

Well done on your weight loss so far. All the people here have great stories to tell.
    I hope one day, I'll be up there too.
    Keep busy and I know you'll lose more.

Highest weight 247lbs (112kgs)
    1 month. - 224.5lbs (22.5lbs)
    2 month. -211lbs (13lbs)
    3 month - 205lbs (6lbs)
    4 month - 199lbs (6lbs)
    5 month - 194lbs (5lbs)
    6 month- 187lbs (7lbs) 58.5lb loss (26kgs)

Surgery date
    04/17/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bertha
    Last Activity
    08-28-2018 11:13 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 102 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times

Good job on your weight loss! I had my surgery the day before you. I get hungry/bored before bed too, so I have a few things I'll snack on that are low in calories - snack pack of peaches in water (I think it's 35 calories), 3 prunes (60 calories), sugar free jello, sugar free ice pop, a few pieces of homemade beef jerky. I also have a big mug of herbal tea, which helps. My losses have slowed down to around 5lbs per month and that's work, but I'm ok with that now.
    If you're not losing at all, you're probably eating a maintenance level of calories... consider just switching up your choices for lower caloried ones.

Highest weight: 257
    Starting weight: 252.4
    Month 1: -20 (232.4)
    Month 2: -9.4 (223)
    Month 3: -11 (212)
    Month 4: -11.6 (200.4)
    Month 5: -8 (192.4)
    Month 6: -7.6 (185.8)
    Month 7: -5.2 (180.2)
    Month 8: -5.4 (174.8)
    Month 9: -3.8 (171)
    Month 10: -5 (166)
    Month 11: -3.4 (162.6)
    ONE YEAR: -1.4 (161.2) Total loss: 95.8 pounds!
    Month 13: -3 (158.2)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/08/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Luis Montano (https://renewbariatrics.com/gastric-sleeve/)
    Last Activity
    01-03-2018 09:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts

It needs patience in making an adjustment. Keep eating which you think loses weight.

Surgery date
    07/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Quillici
    Last Activity
    07-02-2018 08:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts

Thanks for your post...I am also in a 2 month stall and it is still early for me. I can not get past -45 pounds.

Sounds like you are doing some great things to shake it up and change it. I think the best thing is that you are holding yourself accountable and know you need to make some changes. I need to use you as an example

You got this!