Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Third Surgiversary Post – Still Maintaining My 100 Pound Weight Loss

I’m making my third surgiversary post a few days early. Hubby and I are about to take a little vacation, so I’ll be away from my bathroom scales on my VSG anniversary date, August 18.

The bottom line is I’m doing GREAT! I weigh every morning, but pay most attention to my Monday morning weight, which today was 134.4 pounds and 1.2 pounds less than I weighed a year ago on my second surgiversary. 😊

How I Maintained a 100-Pound Weight Loss During Year Three

I simply did the same things I’ve done in the past. Early on, while losing weight, I found my groove by (1) eating a nutritious, balanced diet, (2) becoming much more active through exercise and daily living activities, and (3) meeting my own needs first through much, much improved self-care.

Below are some specific things I did this past year:

• Continued to make nutritious foods the bulk of my daily menus (70-80% of my daily calories come from dense protein, 5-7 colored veggies, whole grains, and dairy products)

• Had some daily treats like 5 ounces of wine and a biscotti

• Exercised at least 5 days a week (yoga, aquarobics, walking)

• Was very active in daily life (housework, gardening, mowing, errands/shopping, recreation)

• Took prescribed vitamins/supplements/meds daily

• Managed the best I could life’s never-ending stresses, tried to live in the moment, and tried not to ruminate about real and imagined bumps in the road

• Practiced better sleeping habits and (finally!) weaned myself completely off Ambien (a big win for me)

• Continued to see my shrink monthly to spot issues early and for coaching about stress management

• Recorded everything I ate and drank in My Fitness Pal, which for me is an incredible mindfulness and discipline tool (my current maintenance calorie budget is 1,725 calories with typical daily macronutrients of 190 carb, 50 fat, and 100 protein grams; I seldom eat exactly this much—sometimes less, sometimes more, but this are averages based on my MFP records)

• Avoided grazing between meals (I do have 1-2 snacks daily, which include some protein)

• Made meals last longer by taking small bites and chewing well

• Didn’t drink with meals or 15” before or 30” after meals

All that should sound very familiar to WLS patients, because the behaviors are what many surgeons advise us to do while losing weight. Yes, during the post-op weight loss phases we can’t eat that much and should minimize or avoid unnutritious foods. But otherwise, what we learn to do while losing our excess weight serves us well when we get to maintenance. In other words, this ain’t rocket science!

What Were Some Year Three Challenges and Successes?

1. More stomach capacity, depending on what I’m eating: Three years post-op I can eat 10-12 ounces of meat, veggies, and whole grains during a 20-30 minute meal, after which I definitely feel full. To be clear, this is considerably less in volume than I used to be able to tuck away. And sometimes I can now eat more than that, especially when spending a long time at table (on cruises, at holiday and celebratory dinners) or if the meal is mainly processed carbs (pasta, slurry and slider foods). But those meals are not common occurrences.

2. Night-time grazing: This past year (every month or so), for the first time I fell prey to night-time grazing that had nothing to do with physical hunger. On those occasions, I wound up eating highly processed carby, sweet slider and slurry foods--mostly cookies and crackers. Needless to say, I found this disturbing, which is why I have focused a lot during Year Three on stress and sleep management.

3. Eating the same things: I can get in a real rut eating the same things for breakfast and lunch. I still love a GNC Lean 25 chocolate shake for breakfast, and my favorite lunch is a turkey/cheese/tomato/light mayo sandwich with sliced carrots on the side. I used to angst about this, but realize I could have worse problems.

4. Dark chocolate – whoops! About 6 months ago I saw that my daily treat of dark chocolate was becoming more of a food group. Therefore, I banished chocolate from our kitchen. It’s hard to over-indulge in a trigger food when you don’t buy it.

5. Yoga ROCKS! Fifteen months ago, I started taking twice-a-week yoga classes and have seen so many benefits from the practice--in strength, balance, and calmness. I’m now building a daily yoga practice. Yoga’s benefits are gradual, but stable. If you think yoga could benefit you, please check it out. Protip: Yoga is not just for girls. 😉

6. Good habits and healthy lifestyle continued: I am not perfect. Never have been. Never will be. Don’t even want to be. But for the last three years I’ve been pretty consistent. This consistency has raised my self-confidence about maintenance. When I have “food accidents” or go on vacation and eat richer and more food and drink, I’ve gone back to my nutritious lifestyle eating the next day or when we return home. As a result, my Year Three Monday morning weights ranged from 133 to 138 (for the record, the 138 weigh-in was the day after returning from a 20-day transatlantic and European cruise!).

7. A new body weight set point? This is purely a theory, mind you, but I think that maintaining a fairly stable weight over the last 19 months has helped my body build a new “set point,” making it increasingly easier for my weight to remain stable. However it’s working, my maintenance success, much more than the weight loss, has been the miracle of my weight loss surgery and positive self-care I’ve learned and practiced the last few years. That NEVER happened for me before WLS!

Year Four MIght Be a Booger!

I’ve read a lot of stories by sleevers, including some on this board, that Year Four is when people who’ve maintained up to now are challenged harder than ever. I’ve also seen reliable research findings that support those stories. Still, it’s also true that some sleevers do maintain their weight through Year Four. But if regain is in my future, I hope I will be able to navigate that WLS challenge, too, and a year from now still be maintaining my 100-pound loss.

Conclusion

For everyone out there who’s considering WLS, merrily losing weight, working to maintain their weight loss, or fighting to lose regained weight—you can win your weight war by never giving up. I was 68 years old when I was sleeved. I’d tried everything else to lose and maintain a weight loss, but had failed. Truly, my only brilliance in all of this has been not giving up.

No matter your age, weight, fitness level, or health, get up on that WLS horse and ride it to your good health. I guarantee you’ll get bucked off more than once. But your obligation every time that happens is to get up, dust yourself off, and climb back on.

Year Four, bring it on! Yeehaw!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Default Re: Third Surgiversary Post – Still Maintaining My 100 Pound Weight Loss

My girl Ann!!

I'm coming up on year five on the 23rd. I can tell you that for me, year four was no different than year three, or two. Maintenance is maintenance and if you have a great foundation for maintenance, you will be just fine. In other words, a plan that you made just for yourself is the best prevention from weight gain.

In looking over your bullet points, I see so much wisdom and experience in there. Because of that, I have no doubt that you are going to breeze your way to year five just as easily as you did year four.

For the rest of you reading this, Ann has found the secret. It's not a very well kept secret. It's one that I've been crowing about for my 5+ years on this site.

Make a plan. Work your plan. Own your results. Change as needed.

Ann's plan is as different from mine as women are different from men. What's important to note is that Ann is successful because she is religious in following that plan that SHE made and adjusting along the way. I think folks back slide and gain weight when they stop doing the very things that made them successful in the first place. Sure, your sleeve is going to stretch a little over the years. Don't let anyone tell you it won't. However, instead of taking advantage of how much more you can eat, take advantage of the fact that you can lose as quickly as you gain as long as you never deviate too far from that plan that got you there.

I've seen Ann grow so much on this site. When she first came on here, she was uber militant in her approach. But, over the years, she's learned what all successful sleevers learn. You must learn how to be sleeved in a non sleeved world. She has adapted to the world around her. While her food plan doesn't compute with me, one thing we both have in common is this. If you are going to be sleeved in a non sleeved world, you have to learn how to eat like a non sleeved person while not gaining weight. There are as many ways to do this as there are Nora Roberts books. (Yeah...I know who she is. Don't read her books, but, I know she's written one or two.) Ann knows that you cannot be successful on this trip if you are going to subject yourself to a strict diet of twigs and grass. You have to be able to treat yourself to the foods you love.

More on that to come on the 23rd.

So, Congrats Ann on your surgerversary. You are a rock star!!

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Third Surgiversary Post – Still Maintaining My 100 Pound Weight Loss

Ann,

You are such an inspiration who continues to work your sleeve to the max without any excuses. While other people are busy blaming their 'older' age, bougie size, hypothyroidism, yo-yo diet history, post-menopausal state, or any number of issues for their lack of success, you've shown that a sleeved person can succeed with all of these potential pitfalls.

Thank you for giving so much to this online community by sharing your wisdom. I'll hope you maintain your no-nonsense posting style because false reassurances and candy-coated versions of reality are good for no one.

Again, your presence here is valued.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Happy surgiversary Ann!!! You always know the right things to say and I'm thankful that you're around! Congrats on being Ambien free. I am happy to hear you've had a relatively easy time maintaining. I'm also a creature of habit so I feel I can be successful at maintaining too. Especially since I actually love exercise. I know you'll be successful in year 4! I hope you have a great vacation!

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Happy third surgiversary to you!
    You are such an inspiration!
    Thank you for your summary (is that a good word?) of your third year.
    I have saved your last two and I'll copy and save this one too!
    Thanks again!
    Have a very nice vacantion!
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Simonne
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Pablo Enriquez Valens
    Last Activity
    07-05-2020 12:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1,206 Times
    Was Thanked 1,222 Times in 797 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 365 Times
    Blog Entries

Sorry, double.
    English is not my first language anymore, so I may and do make mistakes in my spelling, or say things oddly. Please ask me, if you want any clarifications.

11. Said thanks:

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    01/03/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-21-2018 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 774 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 169 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,104 Times

Thanks so much & congrats!

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Happy 3rd Anniversary, congratulations on all your success and for catching and making the necessary adjustments when you started to develop a bad habit. What an inspiration you are. Hope you have a great vacation. Continued success Ann
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/12/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ma
    Last Activity
    10-17-2017 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 766 Times
    Was Thanked 123 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 532 Times

Congratulations on your great success! This may sound corny, but you truly are my hero. Your posts are succinct and to the point with great information and insights. Your shared experiences motivate me to find my own plan and work it to the max. Thank you so much for participating on this site in such a positive way.
    Linda 51

17. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Tommy1969's Avatar
    Name
    Tom
    Surgery date
    02/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Tieu
    Last Activity
    06-07-2019 06:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 36 Times
    Was Thanked 179 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

WOW! What a great post. Thank you for sharing.

Original Weight - 479
    Day of Surgery - 459
    Month 1 - 438
    Month 2 - 418
    Month 3 - 409
    Month 6 - 389

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member bigdogluver's Avatar
    Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    03/22/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    12-24-2018 07:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 241 Times
    Was Thanked 253 Times in 180 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times
    Blog Entries

Ann, wow, wow, and wow. I copied your entry into my journal, it is full of great insight and clarity. I really appreciate you sharing that with us. All the best.

21. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/12/2017
    Surgeon
    Carl Weiss
    Last Activity
    08-22-2019 12:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 112 Times
    Was Thanked 91 Times in 64 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times

Congratulations! As usual you are full of wisdom and insight. Thank you for your posts. I wish you much continued success.

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Luv49ers19's Avatar
    Name
    Cody
    Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Daniel Leslie
    Last Activity
    09-27-2018 08:02 AM
    Said "Thanks" 760 Times
    Was Thanked 547 Times in 375 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 275 Times
    Blog Entries

Ann I'm so grateful for you sharing your experiences. It gives me confirmation that I'm doing the right thing and I will make it work. I'm in it for the long haul! Thank you again and keep up the AMAZING job!
    Hw: 260
    Sw: 260 10/23/16
    Weight at time of sleeve 209 (-51)
    Sleeve date 5/23/17
    1 month:187 (-22)
    2 month:178 (-9)
    3 month:172 (-6)
    4 month:162 (-10)
    5 month:150 (-12) (10/28/17) 6 month goal!!!!
    6 month: 143 (-7)
    7 month: 136 (-7)
    8 month: 131 (-5) made goal weight 130 (2/8/2017)
    9 month: 125 (-6)
    10 month: 120 (-5)
    11 month: 115 (-5)
    1 year: 114 (-1)
    16 months: 120 (+6)

25. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Merry Mary's Avatar
    Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    09/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr
    Said "Thanks" 166 Times
    Was Thanked 217 Times in 151 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 195 Times

Great job Ann. You worked hard to get where you are today. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and wisdom (and the occasional kick in the butt).
    HW - 394
    SW - 366
    One year post op - 191
    Goal - 177 met 16 months post op
    Current - 174

220 lost since June 19, 2014

27. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks, all y'all, for your strong, sweet support. I so, so appreciate it. No matter how far down the path we are on our WLS journey, we all need support.

xoxoxo

Ann

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84