Surgeon
    Dr. Boorse
    Last Activity
    01-14-2021 06:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 117 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 113 Times

Unhappy A set back

I am so grateful to this forum. Right now being on here often is keeping me on task. Three weeks ago at work, I had a child trip in front of me causing me to fall on my knees on concrete. I fractured my left knee cap. I am on crutches, in an immobilizer and out of work until I get back to the doctor. I thank God I didn't need surgery. I am home 24/7 and pretty much idle. This is scaring me to no end. Being idle with so much time on my hands brings me back to when I was morbidly obese, and eating out of boredom and depression. I had just gotten a new lease on life and enjoying every minute of it. I know this is a temporary set back but I am miserable. I have started tracking everything I eat again so I know I won't gain. I can't wait to get into physical therapy so I can gain my mobility back. Previous to this fall I was doing yoga, sit ups, even push ups. I was gaining so much strength and stamina. So if you see lots of posts from me, please know that I need my support system right now. Thank you all for being there.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Canuimagine's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Cheryl
    Surgery date
    03/01/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Courtney Doyle
    Last Activity
    04-12-2017 12:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 135 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: A set back

Awww....I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. I can only imagine how scary it might be, as I am now analyzing my relationship with food and really scrutinizing my belief system before the surgery. The folks here seem genuinely caring and sincere and I am sure they will all be along soon. Hugs.

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Onopchenko
    Last Activity
    06-06-2017 12:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times

Sorry to hear about your accident and hope all goes well. I understand your worries and tracking I'm sure will def help. Can you do any sitting exercises to keep the rest of you active? Maybe some arm work or something. I've been so stuck for months and very frustrated. Got some info from someone on here and have to get serious and try the suggestions. I'm about a year and a half out. Kinda gained a couple and have been having a heck of a time getting rid of them let alone anything else. I need to get my activity levels up like you were doing.

ANyway, wishing you the best and hope all goes well. You'll be up and running in no time I hope! :-)

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Janice
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Boorse
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times

Thanks Jersey, I've been feeling so bad for myself I didn't even think of that. I'll be pulling the weights out today.

Gastric Sleeve Member thenewmetoday's Avatar
    Name
    joanne
    Surgery date
    04/17/2012
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    10-30-2017 03:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 445 Times
    Was Thanked 309 Times in 215 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,313 Times
    Blog Entries

Janpit oh my dear i sure do hear your pain. The fear of going back to that old world can be terrifying. I also remember when i was obese and using a cane to get around, always in pain and never able to go very far.
    The sleeve has obviously given us a new lease on life. You are doing a good thing staying on top of the issue and it is wonderful to see you here. This site has always been my support and your message has come at a good time for me as i have been a bit of a slug and seeing a few pounds creeping in and not leaving so easily. I had just booked back into my gym and then there was your message so thank you for the motivation.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

I will keep my fingers crossed for you, Jan. I know from firsthand experience that becoming idle can feel frightening, especially after having adopted an active lifestyle.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Karen
    Surgery date
    04/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-08-2019 06:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 45 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 32 Times
    Blog Entries

Prayers for a speedy recovery and the strength to deal with the games our minds play!

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Tomi
    Surgery date
    06/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Matthew R Crouthamel
    Last Activity
    09-27-2017 05:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 283 Times
    Was Thanked 216 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times

Oh man - I imagine a legitimate fear of going back to old ways there is real. Good for you for at least caring enough to realize that concern though. That's a start, right?

Tracking your food seems like a good start, including your water intake. I always find that helpful. I liked the idea of sitting exercises too. It may not be the cardio you're used to but it'd surely be something. You can do a lot, even sitting, with just a simple pair of dumb bells.

Good luck to you!

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Planning and tracking your food is a great idea. But I would say that, since that's my super power.

Also ... are you someone who meditates? If not, this would be a great time to study up on that and start trying it out. It's such a powerful, powerful practice and is tailor-made to reduce anxiety, keep us focused, and give ourselves some seriously needed love. We are always so hard on ourselves.

You can peck around the Internet and find so many good sites, books, videos, guided meditations, and other resources to learn about meditation and its value for regular folks living regular lives.

Hang in there. This shall pass! Your sleeve is still there.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

19. Said thanks:

Name
    Janice
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Boorse
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times

Thank you for all the feed back. It's nice knowing people are rooting for you!

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Mithani
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 45 Times

Ouch! And here I was worrying on whether I ate too much last Saturday. I was also confused on what phase I was on. Small potatoes compared to your problems. Feel free to send all the posts that you need to....I do and no one has said for me to stay away yet. Hang in there...we are here for you. If I may ask, what is your occupation?
    I think I have a funny story for you. I was using the stair step with music when my 14 year old grandson came in the room. He looked at my efforts, smiled and said, "Grandma, if you want to lose that is not how you do it. This is what you do." He then proceeded to do push ups and then ab crunches and some other type of exercise that I knew my body was not ready for. I politely told him to GO AWAY. He went away laughing ,knowing that he bested me.
    As far as your idle hands go I may have some suggestions {like I know everything....ha!}. Read our posts , get a crossword puzzle book, learn to paint, make hair bows, write a book, write a song using old tunes, etc., etc., etc.,. Just don't sit around feeling sorry for yourself....I've been there, done that and it does one no good at all.
    Like I said....Hang in there....you are definitely not alone.

23. Said thanks:

Name
    Janice
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Boorse
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times

OMG Gigi, I love your response. I am a teaching assistant for special needs children. I am also a retired supervisor. I work part time now which is enough to keep me busy. I have such a full life besides work, I take care of my elderly Mom, have a life with my husband, do volunteer work in animal rescue and try to be the best Grandma ever. I also have 2 dogs and 2 cats. Whew!! I go back to the doctor on this Thursday, so I don't think I have much more time left to feel sorry for myself. I'm hoping the Dr sends me back to office work. I know I'm not ready for the classroom. I'm more afraid of not getting all my mobility back. I REALLY want physical therapy to start.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Mithani
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 45 Times

"It's a small world after all. It's a small world after all. It's a ...." The song everyone should know...if you don't. Well, that is what "you tube "is for these days.
    Now why did I start with that song, you wonder? Well, I am a retired school teacher. I taught for 30 years [8th grade all the way down to pre K] I discovered pre K was the place for me and spent the majority of my teaching career there. They were a joy to teach [at least a majority of them were a joy] and I loved my work. After I retired I was given the opportunity to sub in a special needs class as an aide or assistant. When the full time assistant came back, I told her whatever they were paying her was not enough. It takes some special people to work with the special needs children. My mom would say you will get a jewel in your crown.
    One last question [not] With all that you did, where did you find the time to pause and take a breath? No wonder you consider yourself idle!!!!
    I have five grandkids....so beware you will probably hear about them in future posts. Take care

26. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/21/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jay
    Last Activity
    01-05-2017 05:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 188 Times
    Was Thanked 203 Times in 148 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 205 Times

I am planning to get some adult coloring books. They are really popular now and recommended for relaxation. I have always liked to color so I'm going to try it. I'm not good at crafts so this might be it for me...and maybe you would enjoy it.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I feel your pain! I was running 3 miles every morning and walking 3 miles every night, until some crazy lady tripped me on the chair lift at Breckenridge and I pulled my collarbone from my shoulder. My only exercise at the moment is physical therapy and some walking, it's such a bummer. But life happens, so we have to make the best of it. I'm trying to eat less to compensate for my lack of exercise. (Did you know it takes shoulder muscles to tie your shoes? Now I do.)
    But the good news is I don't need surgery.

Feel better soon!

29. Said thanks: