Surgeon
    Dr. Vierra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 448 Times

Default Re: What about... ALCOHOL

For what it's worth, I had my 9 month follow up appt earlier this month and mentioned that my husband and I are going to Iceland to celebrate our wedding anniversary in Oct. Among other things we discussed, my bariatric coordinator said if I planned to have a glass or two of wine with any dinners (no carbonated or foofy sugary drinks) that I should take an omeprozole that morning to avoid ulcer development. Nothing about never drinking again or anything. In fact, she was the one who brought up my having a glass of wine with a couple of my meals while on vacation.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Palmilla, thank you. I hope you can find support here from those who've had issues similar to yours.

It's good you're getting appropriate medical care and that you're addressing those issues with your medicos' help.

I wish you all the very best. (((hugs)))

Ann

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/07/2015
    Surgeon
    Broussard
    Last Activity
    02-17-2017 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 83 Times
    Was Thanked 98 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

I drink more now than what I did previously. Primarily I drink vodka and water or vodka and cranberry. No the dietician isn't thrilled but I am still holding stready between 198 & 205 lbs.

With that said I believe I am substituting drinking for late night snacking some nights. I also think the other deal is I am entertaining more with clients and socializing more. With the weight loss The social life is much more different.

Yes the alcohol hits me quicker and harder. I can also sober up quicker. DO NOT DRINK IF YOU PLAN ON DRIVING!!

Right now I'm good with the weight. I keep an eye on it and if 10lbs packs on you can bet I will be doing a reset!

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Blove2012's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-11-2017 12:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I am not one to believe in all or nothing for just about anything--particularly food. I believe you have to do well most of the time and occasional indulgences are fine. Even with alcohol. I have read that many are more susceptible to the effects of the alcohol after surgery so caution is needed. At least until you know how you will react

As for carbonation, if you have ever watched a barium swallow on X-ray, you will know that liquid goes right through the stomach, regardless of its size. I am not advocating drinking 2 liters of pop, however an occasional soda or beer is not going to cause your stomach to explode.

I truly think that programs caution against sodas because they can be trigger foods for some. Just use common sense and indulge in moderation.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Romandona's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Caruana
    Last Activity
    03-16-2018 10:05 AM
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 26 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times
    Blog Entries

That's good to know. I haven't had any alcohol and I'm six months out. I just had a dr. appointment but alcohol wasn't talked about. Maybe my Dec appointment. I do, however, take an omeprazole every morning. You're doing great and I hope you have a wonderful time in Iceland. Is it too early to see the Northern Lights? Something my husband and I want to do. Let me know.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    08/31/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ortiz - ALM
    Last Activity
    01-21-2019 03:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 99 Times

Hi All,

I am one of the lurkers that Ann2 mentioned in her post and I am so very glad I found this thread! I DO have a new and exciting substitute addiction since getting sleeved 2 years ago, and it's to beer and wine!! D: So I have been on here frequently searching for but never finding a Group that dealt with this issue. My searches to find convos re the same were also unsuccessful until today.

If you had told me before my surgery that I would EVER have a compulsion to drink in excess after it I would have laughed. I loved food. Make me choose between wine and spaghetti, no contest. But what Brandonf150 said is spot on for me. I have a much more exciting social life now, I am much braver socially and much happier about life having lost the weight , and I definitely substitute drinking for eating in the evenings. I can drink like I have a hollow leg, as my friends say, and never get drunk. It goes right through me, as Blove2012 suggested above with her barium x-ray example. AND, it is fun to feel a little buzzed and not full! WAY TOO MUCH FUN. Hence my search for this thread and others like it.

So heed my warning: moderation at all costs or you may wind up like me, with a new problem to deal with and possibly some minor damage to your car (car in shop, but only car was hurt, thank goodness). Then you may need to find a new "diet" of sorts, as I find I now have to. Sigh.

Thanks for all of your posts, I don't participate much but I do lurk and your information and support have been great all along and will continue to be a source of strength and encouragement for me and all others, I am sure.

Sincerely,
    Jodi

HW - 206
    SW - 196
    Surgeversery W -