Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Interesting read

I saw someone who posted this today and thought it was worth sharing. As someone who is 3 years out now I can honestly say surgery is not magic, or a miracle cure...its a tool, learn to use the tool and your chances of success go up...don't learn to use it and you will run into problems. Hope you guys enjoy!

Here is a link to the original article: http://www.bariatriceating.com/2015/...atric-surgery/

What was it like in the olden days, Mr. Peabody?
    Back then no one knew what the deal was. There were no outlines for meals, or guidelines, no real rules, there was barely an internet in 2001! No living breathing examples of post ops, other than Carnie Wilson, fresh from Playboy, doing a TV interview making a dessert with Sweetened Condensed Milk, licking it from her fingers and calling it ‘Liquid Gold’. Never will forget seeing that on TV and thinking ‘that girl is in trouble’.

MO on thin ice!
    Fifteen years ago, having bariatric surgery was like walking across a frozen lake, never being sure if the next step would crack the ice, plunging us into the icy water. We didn’t know anyone who had actually been across the lake before – we were on our own inching along tentatively, scared to death of what could or would happen.

Scott Disak at 1OAK
    Today, there are all kinds of people on the other side of the frozen lake rooting you on, having a party with confetti and they’re all drinking Diet Cokes. Come on – walk faster! Don’t worry! The ice is THICK! Don’t be scared!

Temptation Island
    Have an Oreo, we’re all having Oreos. You deserve to eat an Oreo if you want one! We are eating Oreos and look at us! Don’t listen to those people trying to scare you! You didn’t have surgery to be on a diet for the rest of your life! Go ahead, have a sandwich, it’s whole wheat bread! OR HERE, HAVE A PIZZA MADE WITH A LOW CARB WRAP… EVERYTHING IN MODERATION! Potatoes are vegetables, have some! Would you like a Diet Mountain Dew? I drink soda and I have lost 75 pounds in four months, I must be doing something right!

Misery Loves Company
    If others are doing it, it cant be that bad! Can it? Isn’t this how we needed surgery to begin with; by ignoring the reality of our actions? Why, yes it is! Let’s find others who are also pushing it and not doing what they are supposed to be doing. IF they are still alive maybe I can get away with it too!

The Readers Digest Version (ask your mother)
    Bariatric surgery drastically reduces the amount of food you can stuff into your mouth and ultimately your stomach – and for about SEVEN MONTHS you can effectually eat just about anything and still lose ONE HUNDRED POUNDS!

You can literally not move a single muscle and eat whatever you want (that doesn’t come back up) and because your stomach has been made so small you can actually lose ONE HUNDRED POUNDS!

Now the Hidden Truth
    Please listen to me – we are not driving for the first seven months even though we may think so. It is the surgery doing the work! It’s all up to you what you do with the massive head start that bariatric surgery provides.

IF you take it upon yourself to learn what ‘eating right’ actually means – it takes a while to get the hang of it, even though it is simple it does take planning and effort…

IF you figure out a way to motivate yourself to move your big ole butt at least a little bit on 3 of 7 days a week, even if it’s just parking further out in the parking lot at the office…

IF you somehow look inside yourself and figure out that you may have ANOTHER underlying issue which is actually the BIGGER issue and cause of your eating, that this is not really about food for you AND take the even bigger step to work it out with a therapist…

IF you put your hands over your ears and ignore the Oreo Eaters who do not realize they are following false Oreo gods and hanging with the WRONG CROWD…

You will have an amazing opportunity to overcome and even reverse the death sentence of Morbid Obesity!

The Truth about Bariatric Surgery:
    Bariatric surgery gives you a window of opportunity of about SEVEN MONTHS to easily take off the first ONE HUNDRED POUNDS to lighten your load and give a boost to your self-esteem, while you get your act together regarding your Life. Drop the Mic.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Interesting read

This is SO FREAKING ACCURATE! And it's so well said.

The only thing missing is: "I didn't have this surgery to be on a diet the rest of my life!"

Well, sure. Nobody wants to be on a diet. But eating more nutritious food and becoming much more disciplined about what and how and when we eat is critically necessary to our long-term success. Everybody here can get fat again if we graze on slider foods, fast foods, sugar and drink sodas and other liquid calories.

Yes, 3 months post-op you will be able to eat only a few French fries. But a year and a half later you can eat the whole damn happy meal if you nibble at it long enough.

And, sadly, some people will eat a lot of happy meals.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

And this is where we take divergent paths.

I am firmly in the camp that says that as soon as you learn how to be sleeved in a non sleeved world, you'll be happier and those around you will be happier.

Learning how to live in a non sleeved world, in a nutshell, means eat what you want, just don't over eat. You can have an oreo or two. You can't have a package or two of them. If you need any b-mod, then that's it. Change how much you eat. Don't be restrictive about WHAT you eat. Be restrictive about HOW MUCH of it you eat. Now, here's the caveat. You still need to get in your 80/64. That's etched in stone and non negotiable. What I like is my ability to get in the 80/64 all while eating the foods I like. Now, it may not be possible for some to get in the 80/64 eating what they like. For me, I love steak, seafood, chicken, etc. Some can't eat like that. So, in that case, maybe you do need to put yourself on a diet.

But, for those of us that like animal protein, why deny yourself that when you can get the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients you need from supplements? I take a fist full of them everyday and that allows me to get in my protein in a way that makes me happy all while keeping my blood work at levels that tickle the crap outta my PCP.

Is my way the only way. NOPE. But, it is a way that's worked very well for me. Different strokes for different folks.

Mine is just another slant.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Tinman -- the longer I'm out from WLS, the closer our views get.

Obviously, I value veggies, fresh fruits, whole grains and the nutrients and fiber I get from those foods more than you do. And Lord knows, we put down our shares of chicken, salmon, and beef. But I see nothing at all wrong with the "odd" or "occasional" cookie or order of hot wings.

In fact, there's nothing wrong with the occasional anything.

These days I'm eating so much better (fresher foods, cleaner foods, cooking more at home and ordering in less) than I have in years and years. And I'm feeling so well. So does hubby.

It's good to see you back around. Hope you're doing well. I'm doing so great and feeling so well I've got to wear shades.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Marge
    Surgery date
    11/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. David Martin
    Last Activity
    11-11-2016 02:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 242 Times
    Was Thanked 173 Times in 121 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 152 Times
    Blog Entries

The reason I am following the postop plan I was given so carefully is so that I can take full advantage of the honeymoon. But I fully intend to eat protein, fruits and veggies and even carbs. I will do this because I need to retrain my HEAD about what moderation means.

My sister, who has had 2 Lapband procedures and then was finally sleeved, has not been successful. She eats too much of the wrong stuff. I don't want my time/energy investment to be wasted.

In short, I appreciate the healthy/in moderation posts. I already know what happens when I live on protein shakes and bars (thanks, Atkins). I need to learn how to eat real food in a manner that fits my new lifestyle. So thanks

Highest Weight 273
    Day of Surgery 252 (-21)
    Month 1 - 236 (-16)
    Month 2 - 230 (-6)
    Month 3 - 222 (-8)
    Month 4 - 210 (-12)
    Month 5 - 202 (-8)
    Month 6 - 196 (-6)
    Month 7 - 187 (-9)
    Month 8 - 182 (-5)

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    09/15/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alley
    Last Activity
    05-25-2016 10:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times
    Blog Entries

wow...I have learned a lot about how to eat around my sleeve..and in the process gained 8 pounds. how depressing. so I visited my nutritionist and told her that I have to be able to eat all foods and how can I accomplish this and still lose weight? I really have to listen to my body. when to stop eating and when to eat is so important to me!!! anyway, call it what you want..i am addicted to food and have decided to attend weekly meetings to help me stay accountable. Its the only way for me to do this! I know that I have been successful but now I know how easy it is to slide back to the old way of eating and the bad foods that I eat whether or not I am hungry. Wish me luck!!

11. Said thanks:

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MargeB View Post
    The reason I am following the postop plan I was given so carefully is so that I can take full advantage of the honeymoon. But I fully intend to eat protein, fruits and veggies and even carbs. I will do this because I need to retrain my HEAD about what moderation means.

My sister, who has had 2 Lapband procedures and then was finally sleeved, has not been successful. She eats too much of the wrong stuff. I don't want my time/energy investment to be wasted.

In short, I appreciate the healthy/in moderation posts. I already know what happens when I live on protein shakes and bars (thanks, Atkins). I need to learn how to eat real food in a manner that fits my new lifestyle. So thanks
    Well said, I have had a few friends throughout life, even before I had bariatric surgery that had a weight loss surgery themselves and still struggled. They lost a lot of weight, but not what they had hoped, and then they regained some of it. I don't think anyone should life their life and never eat food that they enjoy, but as you said in moderation. I struggled with that one myself, it is a very difficult lesson to learn, but one that is worth knowing. I guess the article hit home for me because I had a recent 10 lbs gain.

After a back injury put me out of the gym for about 4 months now, and then having the emergency surgery on my Fallopian tube, I just realized that we can all try our very best, but sometimes life will just hit you with things you never imagined going through, back when you were deciding to have surgery. I never imagined I would lose a child, but I did and I made poor eating decisions while battling through the aftermath of that, and to be honest, I really didn't care at the time that I was making them. Then I saw that article and it was like a bit of a wake up call. Its not new information that I didn't already know, but for some reason it just hit me the right way, so I figured I would post it in case it might jar someone else out there that is having a hard time.

Thanks for sharing your opinions, glad you liked it!

13. Said thanks:

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chrissy58 View Post
    wow...I have learned a lot about how to eat around my sleeve..and in the process gained 8 pounds. how depressing. so I visited my nutritionist and told her that I have to be able to eat all foods and how can I accomplish this and still lose weight? I really have to listen to my body. when to stop eating and when to eat is so important to me!!! anyway, call it what you want..i am addicted to food and have decided to attend weekly meetings to help me stay accountable. Its the only way for me to do this! I know that I have been successful but now I know how easy it is to slide back to the old way of eating and the bad foods that I eat whether or not I am hungry. Wish me luck!!
    Lots of luck to you! You are not the only person that is going through that struggle, its not an easy thing to accomplish, but its great that you know that about yourself and are working towards your goals. I am also a person that never developed any type of intolerance to foods. I can eat anything. In the beginning I found myself wishing I had developed some intolerance to certain foods, but now I am glad that I didn't. It may not always be easy to make good food choices, but one thing I have noticed is that because I am aware of that about myself I am much more conscious of it in every day life. I find myself on a daily basis teaching my son about healthy eating habits without even thinking about it. That is probably something I wouldn't have really thought about with him if I hadn't went down this journey. As a kid my parents let me eat whenever and whatever I wanted, but now I know where that road leads so it personal goal to not push that onto my child. I may not win every victory in life, but I am glad that I am winning that one for my son. Good luck to you dear. You got this!

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    And this is where we take divergent paths.

I am firmly in the camp that says that as soon as you learn how to be sleeved in a non sleeved world, you'll be happier and those around you will be happier.

Learning how to live in a non sleeved world, in a nutshell, means eat what you want, just don't over eat. You can have an oreo or two. You can't have a package or two of them. If you need any b-mod, then that's it. Change how much you eat. Don't be restrictive about WHAT you eat. Be restrictive about HOW MUCH of it you eat. Now, here's the caveat. You still need to get in your 80/64. That's etched in stone and non negotiable. What I like is my ability to get in the 80/64 all while eating the foods I like. Now, it may not be possible for some to get in the 80/64 eating what they like. For me, I love steak, seafood, chicken, etc. Some can't eat like that. So, in that case, maybe you do need to put yourself on a diet.

But, for those of us that like animal protein, why deny yourself that when you can get the vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients you need from supplements? I take a fist full of them everyday and that allows me to get in my protein in a way that makes me happy all while keeping my blood work at levels that tickle the crap outta my PCP.

Is my way the only way. NOPE. But, it is a way that's worked very well for me. Different strokes for different folks.

Mine is just another slant.
    I am right there with ya Tinman, I love my animals and would probably die if I had to survive on protein shakes the rest of my life. I think we are conveying a similar idea just in different ways. I don't consider myself a sleeved person in a non-sleeved world, but I get the idea. I just don't have it in me to really give a crap what the rest of the world is doing. My journey is about me, my issues with food, and working towards being healthier with it.

I by no means live a life where I feel I am denied anything, I just know mentally that food addiction was a problem for me, so I am aware of that when I make choices. I still have a steak, eat chocolate, drink diet soda, and beer when I want, I just realize now that before I wanted those things far too often, an way over did it with regards to those things.

I am happy to hear that you are still well, and kudos on the tickle your PCP pink, blood results. That is awesome man!

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times

Quote Originally Posted by zmdh39 View Post
    I am right there with ya Tinman, I love my animals and would probably die if I had to survive on protein shakes the rest of my life. I think we are conveying a similar idea just in different ways. I don't consider myself a sleeved person in a non-sleeved world, but I get the idea. I just don't have it in me to really give a crap what the rest of the world is doing. My journey is about me, my issues with food, and working towards being healthier with it.

I by no means live a life where I feel I am denied anything, I just know mentally that food addiction was a problem for me, so I am aware of that when I make choices. I still have a steak, eat chocolate, drink diet soda, and beer when I want, I just realize now that before I wanted those things far too often, an way over did it with regards to those things.

I am happy to hear that you are still well, and kudos on the tickle your PCP pink, blood results. That is awesome man!

You have a great way with words. We are, in effect, saying the same thing, but, we are going about it differently. When I respond to a specific post, especially from someone who has obviously been successful, I do so in an attempt to reach the newbies and curious non sleevers to let them know that your way, my way, Ann's way are definitely not the only ways.

It makes my stomach hurt when I read a post from someone who obviously does not know what they are talking about spew advice that they haven't tried and don't even know if it works. They are just spitting up something that they have read or heard. That's dangerous and the folks that asked for the advice are under served and the unsleeved lurkers who read it without knowing if the advice is good or not are affected in ways we will never know. So, I try to respond in a way that illustrates my point in a blunt, no b.s. kind of way in the hopes that the lurkers get the message.

In the end, all successful sleevers have to find their own way through life. Each of us eats how we can in order to maintain our losses. Maintenance is the most critical, and longest part of the trip and yet no one talks about how to be prepared for maintenance. We spend countless hours obsessing over how to lose and not on how to maintain. That's why this board is littered with the carcasses of 4 and 5 year vets who are gaining their weight back.

THEY NEVER LEARNED HOW TO LIVE A SLEEVED LIFE IN NON SLEEVED WORLD.

For me, I want to eat and drink like all of the other skinny people. I want to order a double cheeseburger with a beer. Now, I'll eat three or four bites of it and drink half the beer, and, that's perfectly alright. I can do that because I developed the discipline to stop when I know I'm full. I could have never done that pre op because I had no "off switch". The sleeve is my off switch. So, I eat and drink like everyone else, just a lot less of it. Additionally, I take a bucket full of supplements to make sure I remain healthy and I exercise. I also never miss getting in the 80/64.

Mandatory, not elective.

So, in closing, I love that you and Ann have your way and it works. I love my way too. I love getting emails from folks who tell me that they tried my way and it works. I also get just as tickled when they write me and tell me they tried my way and didn't lose but did using Ann's method. I tell them that they have discovered exactly what I tell everyone.

Make a plan. Work the plan. Own the Results. Change as Needed.

Peace

18. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Tinman -- the longer I'm out from WLS, the closer our views get.

Obviously, I value veggies, fresh fruits, whole grains and the nutrients and fiber I get from those foods more than you do. And Lord knows, we put down our shares of chicken, salmon, and beef. But I see nothing at all wrong with the "odd" or "occasional" cookie or order of hot wings.

In fact, there's nothing wrong with the occasional anything.

These days I'm eating so much better (fresher foods, cleaner foods, cooking more at home and ordering in less) than I have in years and years. And I'm feeling so well. So does hubby.

It's good to see you back around. Hope you're doing well. I'm doing so great and feeling so well I've got to wear shades.
    Oh Ann.....If you were only single........

I gotta tell you a quick story. The band that did that song "The future's so bright, I gotta wear shades" is from Austin. Their name is Timbuk3. They got their start in a little bar called The Hole in the Wall. It's on the drag just north of the UTcampus. Was it there when you were there?

Anyway, the band was a husband and wife only. They played guitar and drums and the rest of the music was played off of a tape through the PA and they played along. I got to be friends with them and have some great stories about partying with them.

I've been around, but, laying low. I figured I would lower my profile a little on here.

20. Said thanks:

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tinman View Post
    You have a great way with words. We are, in effect, saying the same thing, but, we are going about it differently. When I respond to a specific post, especially from someone who has obviously been successful, I do so in an attempt to reach the newbies and curious non sleevers to let them know that your way, my way, Ann's way are definitely not the only ways.

It makes my stomach hurt when I read a post from someone who obviously does not know what they are talking about spew advice that they haven't tried and don't even know if it works. They are just spitting up something that they have read or heard. That's dangerous and the folks that asked for the advice are under served and the unsleeved lurkers who read it without knowing if the advice is good or not are affected in ways we will never know. So, I try to respond in a way that illustrates my point in a blunt, no b.s. kind of way in the hopes that the lurkers get the message.

In the end, all successful sleevers have to find their own way through life. Each of us eats how we can in order to maintain our losses. Maintenance is the most critical, and longest part of the trip and yet no one talks about how to be prepared for maintenance. We spend countless hours obsessing over how to lose and not on how to maintain. That's why this board is littered with the carcasses of 4 and 5 year vets who are gaining their weight back.

THEY NEVER LEARNED HOW TO LIVE A SLEEVED LIFE IN NON SLEEVED WORLD.

For me, I want to eat and drink like all of the other skinny people. I want to order a double cheeseburger with a beer. Now, I'll eat three or four bites of it and drink half the beer, and, that's perfectly alright. I can do that because I developed the discipline to stop when I know I'm full. I could have never done that pre op because I had no "off switch". The sleeve is my off switch. So, I eat and drink like everyone else, just a lot less of it. Additionally, I take a bucket full of supplements to make sure I remain healthy and I exercise. I also never miss getting in the 80/64.

Mandatory, not elective.

So, in closing, I love that you and Ann have your way and it works. I love my way too. I love getting emails from folks who tell me that they tried my way and it works. I also get just as tickled when they write me and tell me they tried my way and didn't lose but did using Ann's method. I tell them that they have discovered exactly what I tell everyone.

Make a plan. Work the plan. Own the Results. Change as Needed.

Peace
    Amen man, I agree 110%, this forum needs a broad spectrum of advice so that people can get through their own trial and errors and figure out what works for them. For me I have always had to adapt over time, I don't think there is any one way that works all of the time, especially the further you get out from surgery. Its not called a journey for nothing. You gotta time hella time and learn your body, and then pair it off with what you want to achieve and what makes you happy in life. No one does this to want to feel miserable, we just want to be happy and as healthy as we can be.

I love that you guys post your perspectives for the world to read...the world needs more of that. No one should look at this process and make the wrongful assumption that is it easy, or all sunshine and rainbows. Nor should they think that they will make it through it by reading a bunch of "Be optimistic signs on Facebook" merely wanting to change doesn't make change possible. You have to do something to actually change, and you have to learn to adapt over time. I applaud anyone who actually obtains a realistic change in their life, no matter how small, because I know just how hard achieving it is.

As always, thank for sharing your perspective, I am sure that others appreciate it too. You too Ann2!

22. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Jmichelle's Avatar
    Name
    Jmichelle
    Surgery date
    03/10/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 06:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 163 Times
    Was Thanked 148 Times in 86 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times
    Blog Entries

Great post! Couldn't have come at a better time for me since I have STALLED HARD and have been stuck for about a month! Geez i've done well up to this point but now it's evaluation time for real!

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Marge
    Surgery date
    11/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. David Martin
    Last Activity
    11-11-2016 02:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 242 Times
    Was Thanked 173 Times in 121 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 152 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zmdh39 View Post
    Well said, I have had a few friends throughout life, even before I had bariatric surgery that had a weight loss surgery themselves and still struggled. They lost a lot of weight, but not what they had hoped, and then they regained some of it. I don't think anyone should life their life and never eat food that they enjoy, but as you said in moderation. I struggled with that one myself, it is a very difficult lesson to learn, but one that is worth knowing. I guess the article hit home for me because I had a recent 10 lbs gain.

After a back injury put me out of the gym for about 4 months now, and then having the emergency surgery on my Fallopian tube, I just realized that we can all try our very best, but sometimes life will just hit you with things you never imagined going through, back when you were deciding to have surgery. I never imagined I would lose a child, but I did and I made poor eating decisions while battling through the aftermath of that, and to be honest, I really didn't care at the time that I was making them. Then I saw that article and it was like a bit of a wake up call. Its not new information that I didn't already know, but for some reason it just hit me the right way, so I figured I would post it in case it might jar someone else out there that is having a hard time.

Thanks for sharing your opinions, glad you liked it!
    So sorry for your devastating loss. I totally get the emotional eating thing. Grateful that I can't right now. I don't disagree at all with anything you said - I think all of you with more experience have a great deal of invaluable information for the newbies like me I am just optimistically hoping that if I do this right, I will be able to finally grasp that moderation concept.

Highest Weight 273
    Day of Surgery 252 (-21)
    Month 1 - 236 (-16)
    Month 2 - 230 (-6)
    Month 3 - 222 (-8)
    Month 4 - 210 (-12)
    Month 5 - 202 (-8)
    Month 6 - 196 (-6)
    Month 7 - 187 (-9)
    Month 8 - 182 (-5)

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MargeB View Post
    So sorry for your devastating loss. I totally get the emotional eating thing. Grateful that I can't right now. I don't disagree at all with anything you said - I think all of you with more experience have a great deal of invaluable information for the newbies like me I am just optimistically hoping that if I do this right, I will be able to finally grasp that moderation concept.
    Thank you Marge, it was a terrible experience, but things are much better now. To me it was just important to convey to others that life still happens, even after surgery we can still be faced with a battle of former demons, mine is emotional eating and even though I felt I was past that phase in my life recent experiences proved that I wasn't entirely, and that is ok. It was an important lesson to learn, but like you I am thankful that I am only able to do it to a lesser extent now that I have had surgery. It makes me feel as though even when my life makes me feel like I have lost control, at least I know that I have to choice to regain it.

I appreciate your condolences, thank you!