Surgeon
    Sajani Shah, MD
    Last Activity
    11-19-2015 05:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 85 Times
    Was Thanked 9 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 8 Times

Unhappy My poor sleeve

Highest weight 277lb 5/2012, Surgery 256lb 4/2014, Lowest 207.2lb 1/2015 Now 220lb 91/28/15

Had sever heartburn so my gallbladder was removed 7/22/15, tried all kind of meds but didn't help me. Felt fine for a few weeks and now have the most sever heartburn ever, it wakes me up at night bc its all in my throat and makes me vomit. I did call the dr. and she said to continue to take aciphex 20mg and call her in a few days. Ok I also have a high liver count and my other dr, my gastrologist told me to take zantac on onset of heartburn. worried I have bld work done every two wks until she figure out was is going on.

Today I had a boost shake around nine and a banana around twelve and that killed me, the worse heartburn ever an I had to run to the bathroom to vomit.

There is a lot going on with me, my diabetes did go down to 9.4 from a 10.4 that's not a big deal to me.

I can eat anything and not feel full at all and I have been eating a lot of food and junk food, it was not hurting or heartburn to about two weeks ago and it started again, the heartburn had gone away for a while so I thought since they remove my gallbladder that all would had been fine.

so know im upset because I have gained 12lb and want to get back on track and I just don't have the energy or willpower to do anything I try walking but I get so tired, I have fibromyalgia and at time my body hurts so much that I just cant mover. I went to another support site but my nut said not to go in it bc I start flipping out thinking to much about everything I read in it and how diff there food list is, not like the list my nut has given me so she wants me to stay off it and just follow what she tells me but I need someone to talk to and read about other ppl that are doing great.

I wish now I had the bypass bc it helps lose weight faster then the sleeve but I guess there is nothing I can do about that now. I just feel so sad and empty all the time, cant talk to anyone bc my family just tells me to stop eating and my few friends didn't agree with the surgery so cant talk to them about it, I was seeing a therapist but stopped bc she left the hosp and also I felt I was not getting anywhere talking to her.

so I decided to come back to this site since it was the first one I came to when I had my surgery.

I get up every day and have a protein shake but my ten am snack time I eat whatever its in the house even though I have shakes I don't want them.

Im just a big mess and Im stuck, cant go forward,

I wish this was easier, last yr bfore the surgery I use to go to the gym every day six days a week while I was taking my weigh loss classes.

I just saw my nut and we talked for a long time and I left feeling I could back on track but today, the next day is like nope I cant, I just want to eat the whole house.

I feel I don't be full at all like I never had the surgery at all, I drink soda all day long and eat all kind of food, I have to cook for my son and my dad even though he is in a nursing home I go see him every other day so I have to cook for him too. oh I been reading and rereading all my info from the hosp classes. and I makes me feel like yes I can then of course I cant. feeling like nothing, like a no one, frailer with everything

ok, thank for letting me vent.
    Reason: Lowest 207.2

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/09/2014
    Surgeon
    Sajani Shah, MD
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 85 Times

Default Re: My poor sleeve

12059499_1653919014863287_1389242521_o.jpg The picture on the left is before surgery and the pic on here is at 207.2lb

Name
    cathi
    Surgery date
    03/05/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Rantis
    Last Activity
    05-30-2021 01:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 141 Times
    Was Thanked 506 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 363 Times
    Blog Entries

First, I am so sorry. I had heartburn when i took steriods for an autoimmune disorder for over 5 years and now my stomach is toast..so i was also torn on the sleeve, because i was afraid of heartburn..well i began taking nexium and i take 40 mg a day..(2 of the over the counter pills) and i dont know how i would ever do without it.

You know you need to cut out the soda. they do say it stetches your stomach and it could be causing some of the problems..i do know that high fat, or sugar foods cause heartburn in me..

I thought you could get a bypass if this sleeve does not work out..i do know it is part 1 of a 2 part proceedure..the dudenal switch..i believe..why not go to a dr that will do the other part of the proceedure which is like a bypass.
    We have someone at our practice that did that...and it went real well for him.
    I had a great surgeon, and although i loose slow..i am slowly loosing..
    if you are so unhappy and want to change this..then go for it..i know there is more you can do..just research it all...
    that would be my suggestion..also did you go on nexium??
    many people do not..i couldnt handle anythign BUt nexium..nothing else helped..it is differnt than the rest..

anyhow..wishing you all the best...

5. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Why don't you try following the rules you were given at surgery? They work! Protein first, then veggies, then carbs if there's room left in your tummy. Believe me, if you start to eat a chicken breast, you will be full fast and won't have room for junk. (I haven't had a banana in 2 years.) Try nuts, low-fat Greek yogurt, fish, meat, low-fat cheese, whatever protein you like. Don't drink with meals. Quit the soda. Take a walk. You can do it!

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member LaffeyTaffey's Avatar
    Name
    Ashley
    Surgery date
    09/22/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Weiss
    Last Activity
    02-24-2021 03:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 70 Times
    Was Thanked 288 Times in 188 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 34 Times
    Blog Entries

Yep what they said! Heck I lost over 40 pounds before my surgery because I made myself walk withvmy toddler. Unless you have horrible medical conditions that keep you from exercising, there's no reason you can't fit it into your day. The sleeve is a amazing tool that'll help you lose weight, but it can't make good healthy food choices for you. You have to change your lifestyle. You needed to do that before being sleeved actually. You can still do it

Weight Loss:
    6 Month Requirement with Nut = 41 pounds
    1st mo = 19 pds
    2nd mo = 19 pds
    3rd mo = 9 pds
    4th mo = 16 pds
    5th mo = 11 pds
    6th mo = 9 pds
    7th mo = 4 pds
    8th mo = 1 pd (bad food choices)
    9th mo = 4 pds
    10th mo = 3 pds
    11th mo = 3 pds
    12th mo = 4 pds
    13th Mo = 3 pds

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

You can do this. Try cutting out the soda first, it's no wonder your stomach is killing you! Maybe you are considering some sort of different bariatric surgery at this point - it sounds like you are really upset & wishing you had done the bypass route instead. But try what Sraebaer & Ashley posted - good advice. Go back to your post op sleeve instructions & give it a run. If it doesn't work, you haven't lost a thing.
    Is having the food around that you cook for your Dad & son making it hard to stick to your recommended diet? It sounds like a tough situation. Dad is in a nursing home, so not sure I understand why you need to cook for him - do they not prepare food that is palatable to him? Or are you trying to be a sweet daughter & bring him his favorites? I kept an eye on my own Dad when he was in an adult family home - I'd check out the menu & pop in at meal times unannounced sometimes. Sometimes I'd catch them giving him chicken, which he despises. Maybe meet with the nursing home if the food is unacceptable - just a thought.
    Take care of yourself too. You won't be able to do for others who rely on you, otherwise.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Bufflehead's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. K. Robert Williams
    Last Activity
    08-14-2017 02:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 180 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 44 Times

I definitely agree with the others about going back to following the basic rules. Try that and the meds, but do keep in mind that you *can* revise to a gastric bypass from a sleeve. Many people do that when their heartburn is out of control post-sleeve. There is also the duodenal switch as someone else mentioned, but that will not help your heartburn/GERD, it will leave you in the same position with respect to that. Good luck!

14. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

My personal experience is that the sleeve only works if you "work the sleeve". there are people who have super restriction no matter what they do... but for me, 4 years out, i need to follow the "bariatric rules" and my hunger is well controlled and I am maintaining a very significant weight loss.
    If i started eating carby junky, snacky food I would regain in a snap.

I learned this lesson the very hard way - failing with the lapband - many reasons but one of them was not understanding how to eat to reduce hunger and cravings.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

My personal experience is that the sleeve only works if you "work the sleeve". there are people who have super restriction no matter what they do... but for me, 4 years out, i need to follow the "bariatric rules" and my hunger is well controlled and I am maintaining a very significant weight loss.
    If i started eating carby junky, snacky food I would regain in a snap.

I learned this lesson the very hard way - failing with the lapband - many reasons but one of them was not understanding how to eat to reduce hunger and cravings.

Horrible acid reflux, if it cannot be resolved with meds might require revision to gastric bypass... I have been lucky i have not had this problem since getting rid of the lapband.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Nancy, I don't know you from Adam.

But based on your recent posts here, it sounds to me like:

1. You don't much care at this point whether you get healthy or not and ...

2. You are suffering from depression.

If #2 applies, are you under a doctor's care for depression? If not, please see someone.

If #1 applies, please know that no one here can "fix" you. You have to care enough about your own health to do that for yourself.

Good luck to you.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hoehn
    Last Activity
    08-03-2017 07:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 120 Times in 108 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

The soda will cause alot of heartburn even if it is not caffeinated, so I'd try to eliminate that as much as you can first. Anything spicey too. Also, try not to eat for like at least 45 minutes before you go to bed that will help alot. And as they say, emotional issues can cause you to go to junk food and not care about what you are doing, you might look into that. If you want to write me you can here or at kathy_smith25@yahoo.com. I don't have all the answers for sure, I lost 85 pounds in six months but over the last two years have regained 35 pounds, but if you want a friend to work with or just vent we can share. Hope that helps.

21. Said thanks:

Name
    Janice
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Boorse
    Last Activity
    01-14-2021 06:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times
    Was Thanked 199 Times in 117 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 113 Times

Nancy, I have to agree with Ann, sounds like you have given up. Coming back to this forum was probably the best thing you could have done for yourself. It definitely sounds like you are in need great need of a support system. Please, stop drinking soda. Even if you didn't have a sleeve, its a terrible drink. Try decaf diet Iced Tea, tastes great and won't do any harm. Caffeine is terrible for heartburn. If your bariatric practice has a counselor, its time to go back. Support groups?? go to them. I realize you have other issues besides the weight, but getting your diet under control will help with everything else. You need support right now, so please continue to post. You already know that the sleeve is a tool and not a fix. I would also get a new nutritionist. Good luck to you.

23. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Nancy, amen on the advice to stop drinking soda.

Here's a post I made a few months ago about my own run-in with soda and how I suffered horribly as a result. I know you can relate to it.

http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/s...ad.php?t=58479

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

25. Said thanks:

Name
    Liz
    Surgery date
    10/12/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Borland
    Last Activity
    02-26-2016 03:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 51 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

Sounds like you fell off the wagon!! Get back on and you will start feeling better about yourself... Some of us do things to ourselves cause we know we're not suppose to.. Snacks, soda etc. Have faith in yourself and don't give up so easy!!! You can do this girl!!!!

Surgery date
    04/09/2014
    Surgeon
    Sajani Shah, MD
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 85 Times

Thank you everyone yes its true is like I have gave up but still something in me don't want to and want to lose this weight, I have cried a lot reading all the post and im so grateful for all the advice. Thank you. I will be trying a 48hr pouch reset with my 17 yr old son, he is also very over weight and had diabetes too. I called my surgeon and have an appt on the 5th I was suppose to see her in Dec She told me to stop taking my vitamins' and antacid till I see her, I have not taken any of the vitamins since a month after my surgery on 4/9/14.

I also emailed the gastrologist to ask about the liver count test. she has not responded yet.

I will post doing the weekend.

Have a Blessed day, thank you for being there for me, I really need it.

Day 1

Breakfast: Protein shake

Mid morning: Protein shake

Lunch: Protein shake

Mid afternoon: Protein shake

Supper: protein shake

64oz water a day.

Day 2

Breakfast: protein shake
    Mid morning: Shake
    Lunch: shake
    Mid afternoon: shake

Stop till supper

1.Place a 8oz chicken breast, home cooked or rotisserie on your plate

2. Focus

3. Eat slowly and mindful stop when full

4. Sit straight, no tv, enjoy, take your time.

28. Said thanks: