Surgeon
    Dr. Thomas Umbach
    Last Activity
    06-19-2015 12:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Smile Uncontrollable cravings/binge eating

I'm not certain where to go in order to combat my cravings. It's been two and a half years since my surgery, and I've been really happy with my results. However, due to stress in regards to finishing my degree (I'm a student teacher), a knee injury that reyaired surgery, and the resulting loss of my job because of the knee surgery, I've been extremely craving-hungry.

I don't know how to explain it sinply, but I don't feel hungry. I haven't since my surgery (I feel empty when I actually need to eat, but I don't eel compelled to fill up), but I will crave. My brain will demand and demand food, whether my stomach is full or not. Since New years I've put on nearly ten pounds. I know that isn't much but I really fear getting so heavy again.

Anyways: I don't know how to address my cravings. I eat when I'm upset or bored, and even when I try to distract myself, I feel it. I was exercising more before my knee was hurt, but I can't do much of anything now, even post-op. Even low impact exercuses are restricted until the cartilage in my knee reattaches to the bone.

Does anyone have advice on what I can do? Having healthy snacks like snap peas and fruit and orotein drinks staves it off, but that feels like a band aid and not a solution. I don't want my stomach to stretch out any more than it has, and I don't want to be morbidly obese again.

Sorry if this was rambly!

Heaviest Weight: 314
    Beginning Weight: 304
    Pre-Op Weight: 292

1st Weight Goal: 265 [ ] (12/30/12)
    2nd Weight Goal: 235 [] Halfway! (03/08/13)
    3rd Weight Goal: 214 [] (06/14/13)
    4th Weight Goal: 200 [ ] (10/15/13)
    5th Weight Goal: 175 [ ] ( / / )
    Final Weight Goal: 155 [ ] ( / / )

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Uncontrollable cravings/binge eating

Could you address these issues with a therapist? I've been seeing one for the last year, and it's been very helpful for me. My shrink has a lot of experience with bariatric patients, which surely helps, too. The reasons and issues involved with overeating can be peculiar to different patients.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Onopchenko
    Last Activity
    06-06-2017 12:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 132 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 149 Times

I am almost a year out and have been at a stall for some time and am frustrated, but I realize, I've probably been taking "liberties" and eating small quantities of things I probably shouldn't. Now am trying to stop that crap and get back on track. I find I'm also craving stuff and nothing seems to fill me up sometimes. Yet at times I can eat two bites of something and be full.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

I am 3.5 years post op and STILL sometimes eat for emotional reasons. It is an ongoing thing... i am better...but still experience it.

For me the best "weapon" is self awareness. I find I eat when I feel wound up, stressed about a decision or even emotional upset (like breaking up with my boyfriend). The insideious one is when I am wound up - like i have a BUNCH of work to do and I don't know where to begin so I want to eat. Crazy I know, but it is what happens.

So I recognize it... the going over to the fridge and looking for something that "looks good"
    I grab something protein; it satiates my tummy but I want more
    I then think, crud, i shoulda drank water first... wait 30 minutes or so and drink a bunch of water
    Since it is an emotional eating thing - either I have buckled down, calmed my nerves and begun to tackle the "IT" or else I want more to eat...

I usually recognize i am entering the pattern sometime after having that protein and still wanting more even though i am not hungry. If I don't break it soon, I will repeat cycle until I have just eaten too much - grazing or whatever.

So, a few things that can help:
    -take a power nap
    -take 20 minutes to read
    -go for a walk
    -go do some physical chore or task that requires no thinking, but ideally is physically demanding
    -work out
    -call a friend
    -or here is a novel idea.... jump in and tackle what ever the problem is that triggered this whole stress reaction!!!

Anyway, I do think counseling is a very good idea and can help you find your own path. You are very smart to be thinking about this and tackling it. I am maintaining a 150# weight loss and I am telling you, I feel like I could eat my way back to 300# without that much problem. i DONT WANT TO GO THERE!
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Great post, CowgirlJane. Rings a bell with me, too.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgeon
    Dr. J
    Last Activity
    08-20-2017 12:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 136 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 127 Times

I've thought a lot about the same thing. I worry about "after the after." I have had many successes losing weight and keeping it off when I was younger. It's impossible it seams now, hence the surgery. Back to the subject at hand. I worry about the years down the road. That's when I like it when members come here and give updates. We here so much about the before and after. Years later are so important. That is why we did this in the first place. Many of us are yo-yo dieters. It makes us feel so awful. Those first few binges or added pounds after a successful weight loss, always puts me in a panic. It has also put me in a denial. It's just pounds, no problem. It then comes back a few pounds at a time until I ask myself, what the heLL did I do? You are asking a question that I know I will need to ask myself years out. That is why I plan to go to my nut, support classes and have a buddy. Regarding your knee surgery, that is a different issue. Surgery in itself traumatizes the body. I have always said that I am the only one I know that can be sick, not eat for days, and gain weight. Our bodies react to surgery in strange ways. I think you know what to do but need our support. Ask a physical therapist how you can burn calories without hurting your knee. My brother had a traumatic brain injury, so I spent plenty of time at PT. I that some patients had bicycle pedals attached to a work bench type of table. They used it for coordination (which you don't need) but it also burns calories. I know it sounds like an elaborate device, but if it works it may be worth having someone rig up something for you. If you go online, you might even be able to purchase it. I hope this isn't a silly answer. I just want you to know it is a very valid question. It is doubtful that any of us will go the rest of our lives without surgery, paralyzing depression where we panic with a few pounds gained. You can figure it out. We are with you 100 %

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

I don't think that ever goes away completely. I have been struggling with the same thing these past weeks due to planning a baby shower, graduation party, finances, and wrapping up the school year. The biggest thing is I am terrified, because I am having skin removal surgery tomorrow (panniculectomy and abdominoplasty). That has made me a nervous wreck and my inner fat girl has come back with a vengeance. All I have wanted to do lately is eat, because it is comfortable. As a result, I weighed 145 this morning. I wanted to go into surgery at 140, but I'm not. Anyway, I digress. I just wanted to say that eating for emotional reasons never goes away. I do still get hungry, unlike others, and if I don't watch it carefully, my sugar is all over the place. Best to you!
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess