Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-19-2020 02:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 52 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 58 Times

Default One year vsg anniversary-WOW!!

My one year vsg anniversary was 3/25/15. What a wonderful year it has been. Ups and downs and all arounds yet I would say this has been one of the best years of my life.

Here is my story- (so far-Lol)

One of the first things I did was buy my mascot-see pic-her name is Sassy Sally the sleeve. Some people thought I was out of my mind but I have always been a fun loving person and she still sits on my desk as a reminder of my wonderful journey.

I had surgery on 3/25/14. I was one of many yo yo dieters for most of my life. I had been thinking about gastric surgery for several years. I finally told myself, enough is enough this weight is killing me in so many ways. I was out of breath after walking half a block, had high blood pressure, a bad knee, couldn't play with my grandson in a park, was embarrassed to be seen in a bathing suit (or anything wearable for that matter) and didn't go to my latest high school reunion because I was reluctant to see anyone.

I did a lot of research before I made my decision to have my surgery performed by Dr Almanza in Mexico. I was unwilling to wait up to a year to have the surgery in the states once I made up my mind to have it done. The pre op liquid diet was a killer but I was determined nothing would get in the way of this opportunity. I traveled by myself and met some wonderful folks while I was there. My surgery went smoothly. I was up walking soon after the procedure. The flight home was grueling because I sat between two large men and I was 244 pounds at that time. I took my own stitches out and used some steri strips to keep the wounds closed. It seemed like it took forever for the incisions to heal although they never really bothered me.

I took my time introducing new foods after I started eating solids. The worst one's I remember were scrambled eggs and pineapple. They both came back up on me. I did try again a couple of months later and all was fine. My tastes have changed a lot. This has been rather fun for me discovering what I like and don't like. I learned early on not to buy a whole package of anything if I could get a sample or steal a bite from someone.

I was very blessed. I never had a stall. I used a lot of tinman's ideas and made them my own. (Thank you tinman- I really appreciate you and for being a great help to so many!) I always try to get my protein and water in each day (ok I'm not perfect) I do have a sweet tooth and have something sugary most everyday. My body is good at telling me what it wants to eat. Somedays I will crave oranges and sometimes oatmeal etc. I NEVER OVEREAT!

I lost 100 pounds in seven months (my goal weight) and I continued to lose another seventeen. I started maintaining and wanted to eat more so I figured this was where I should be. It feels like a good weight and I have maintained for almost four months now. AGAIN- I NEVER overeat!!

A short list of amazing changes in my life: (this post would be miles long if I listed everything!)
    I eat without feeling guilty and I eat what I want. This is my life--never will I diet again.
    I wear a size 4 - 6 and I look and feel good in my skin and my clothes.
    I no longer have high blood pressure and no more pain in my knee or anywhere else. I even went hiking and climbing a few weeks ago and wasn't sore. (I had never hiked in my life-I was too heavy). Now I swim, lift light weights, dance, ride horses (and I don't have to feel sorry for the horse) and play at any sport I want to try. In fact, I'm taking a motorcycle class next month.
    I visited my daughter's family a few months ago and was able to give a heavier gentleman sitting by me some extra room on the plane.
    My grandson and I went swimming and played in their pool. We made "glow in the dark" chalk and then made a hopscotch outline and played more games than I can remember.
    I recently took a trip and met my cousin in Orlando. I've never had so much fun at Universal studios or at a huge water park. I went on just about EVERYTHING!
    My fiance says I look beautiful but that doesn't make him love me any more in his eyes. Didn't know how to feel about that at first. In my mind I thought we would be the start of a new romance book series. Lol

An important lesson I have learned-I am different and have made changes but I can't expect anyone else to change because I did.

I thank God everyday for my sleeve. I don't want to think about what my life would be like without it. I hope my story encourages anyone who is on the fence. The sleeve is a life changer and a life saver.

Everything 045.jpgEverything 030.jpgEverything 040.jpgSassy Sally Sleeve 001.jpgSassy Sally Sleeve 002.jpgEverything 663.jpg
    Starting weight from pre op. Weight on day of surgery 232.5

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member ANNETTE2015's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Annette
    Surgery date
    04/16/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-06-2017 02:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 503 Times

Default Re: One year vsg anniversary-WOW!!

You make me want to fly out today and go get this done!! Thank you for your encouraging words, and I look forward to posting my own success story here one day!

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Charlie Fitzgerald
    Surgery date
    06/11/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bernie Hanna
    Last Activity
    01-18-2016 08:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Awesome! Woo-hoo! Happy Anniversary to you! My 1 year is coming up June , 11, 2015.
    Charlie Fitzgerald
    Las Vegas Nevada

Gastric Sleeve Member HollyInTexas's Avatar
    Name
    Holly
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-20-2017 11:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

What a great story! Thanks for sharing it. I'll be having the sleeve done by Dr. Almanza soon. You put my nerves to rest.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/06/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Camelo Ramos
    Last Activity
    06-14-2015 07:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

So very happy for you , you are so pretty and upbeat. Thank you for sharing!

Eating to live, not living to eat!

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    03/09/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Augustin
    Last Activity
    11-11-2015 04:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Congratulations! As a newbie sleever, I can only hope to have even 1/2 the success you have had! Keep it up!

11. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. E. Mun
    Last Activity
    06-10-2020 12:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

Congratulations! What a great story. Thank you for sharing.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Dawn, you have done just awesome! What a magnificent post and what a wonderful role model you are for us.

Big congrats.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Beth
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Noel Williams
    Last Activity
    05-17-2017 12:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 119 Times
    Was Thanked 150 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 98 Times

What a great journey - congratulations!

Weight at 1st Doc's Appt: 290
    Weight the Day of Surgery: 267

Post-Sleeve Weight Loss YR 1:
    Month 1: 17 lb
    M 2: 12 lb
    M 3: 11 lb
    M 4: 9 lb
    M 5: 6 lb
    M 6: 7 lb
    M 7: 5 lb
    M 8: 6 lb
    M 9: 5 lb
    M 10: 4 lb
    M 11: 6 lb
    M 12: 6 lb

Total Weight Loss: 124 lb (101 lb post-sleeve)

Gastric Sleeve Member dbcassidy's Avatar
    Name
    Donna
    Surgery date
    06/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Schnelldorfer
    Last Activity
    07-20-2021 04:14 PM
    Somewhere in the Merrimac Valley, Massachusetts, United States
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,685 Times

What a wonderful story. Congratulations on your 1 year sleeve-anniversary and your success.

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

Dawn, thank you for sharing your inspiring story with all of us! My one year surgiversary is the end of next month. I'm also going to post some new "after" pictures. It's wonderful feeling beautiful again!

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Dawnie is one of my favorites on here. She and I have communicated back and forth pretty much since the beginning of her trip. I have never met anyone on this board more equipped with her sunny disposition and sheer determination to succeed. She embraced my mantra of make a plan, work the plan, own the results and change as necessary. She didn't follow my ideas to the letter. Far from it. She was more in the mode of "Lets take some of this guy's ideas and methods and modify them so that they work for how I like to live". Needless to say, she smacked it out of the park and is a Rock Star Goddess in my book.

Dawnie has accomplished her goals doing it her way. Not the NUT's way or her surgeon's way, and certainly not my way. Her way. Her plan, her results.

I want to add something about Dr. Almanza. If you go and research the posts from folks that used Dr. Almanza, you will find that the vast, vast majority have reached goal, or are on their way to reaching goal. I have a theory as to why. Dr. Almanza is in Mexico and we are not. What that means is that once we are home, we are on our own. We don't have a meddling surgeon or NUT trying to make us fit into a plan that is tailored for the masses and not for the individual. Once it occurred to me that I was on my own and completely in charge of my success or failure, I got busy making sure I would not fail. I'm not sure if using Dr. Almanza was the catalyst for my independent streak. I want to think he is. I also think that if polled, most who used him would agree that being in total control of our plan was liberating and having that matter of self determination made us all more accountable to ourselves.

Accountability to yourself is the key.

Make your plan, work your plan, OWN YOUR RESULTS, and change as needed.

Congrats Dawnie!!

Gastric Sleeve Member Jmichelle's Avatar
    Name
    Jmichelle
    Surgery date
    03/10/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-08-2020 06:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 163 Times
    Was Thanked 148 Times in 86 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times
    Blog Entries

What a wonderful testimony, and I can feel the joy in your words! I'm looking forward to the day that I can share mine with everyone. Congratulations!

Gastric Sleeve Member CCSleever's Avatar
    Name
    CC
    Surgery date
    04/07/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-21-2017 12:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 56 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 88 Times
    Blog Entries

Congratulations! An awesome journey and the fact that you did it "your" way is even more special - thanks so much for sharing!