St Luke's Bariatric Clinic
    Last Activity
    02-22-2016 09:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 283 Times
    Blog Entries

Unhappy I blew it....

I'm 2 years 9 months out. I lost 85 pounds in the first 9 months and have regained 30. I know it's my fault. I wanted the sleeve to be a miracle cure not a tool towards a healthy weight. I feel like a failure. I know one thing that helped lead me to backslide into fat again, my excess skin. I couldn't even look in the mirror at that flap. I never saw myself as thin, even when everyone was complementing me on the way I looked. This may be a problem for the rest of my life. If I had it to do all over again, I would probably have a bypass and see a counselor right from the beginning.
    Now I see a counselor and a MD to try to get back on track.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member jessiejess's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Jessie
    Surgery date
    11/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mehta
    Last Activity
    03-25-2020 07:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 560 Times
    Was Thanked 365 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I blew it....

I'm so sorry you are having a hard time, but you are not a failure because you have not given up. You know there is a problem, you are taking responsibility for the cause, and you are taking steps to get back on track. That sounds like the opposite of failure to me. It sounds like perseverance and dedication to never return to where you started.
    Be kind to yourself and remind yourself that you can do this. Positive self talk gains positive results. You can do this. Believe in yourself.

You don’t have to be perfect. You just need to be better.

Revision stats:
    3/2/20 Pre-op: 197.5

4. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/01/2014
    Last Activity
    04-24-2016 10:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 35 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 66 Times

I agree you are not a failure. Keep moving forward and learn from your journey. You can do this it is a lifetime full of lessons. Congratulations for taking the time to start over. Thank you for sharing and helping me be more motivated.

6. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Luis Curiel
    Last Activity
    11-21-2015 08:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 69 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 121 Times

Thanks for sharing. This is my nightmare & a reason why I'm not public about my WLS. I really respect you for not giving up on yourself. I'm glad you are shaking it off & getting back on the horse. Please let us know if we can help. I'm losing very slowly. At times I feel very discouraged, but if the result is a lack of excess skin hanging off of me, I'm ok with it. Please share your successes so we can rejoice with you. Good luck!

BREAK EVERY CHAIN!!!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Debru
    Last Activity
    04-28-2016 07:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 32 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,305 Times
    Blog Entries

I understand as well. I am 2 years out in March 2015. I have lost 131 pounds in total but have regained 20 lbs. I have been under extreme stress and suffer from severe depression. The last six months have been super hard on me due to major family issues and I have gone back to old habits. I am super scared I have stretched the sleeve but I got back on track yesterday! I start an emotional eating support group in January and I am determined to lose this weight (again) and get back into better eating habits.

I understand how you feel! I feel like a huge failure for putting weight on and when I look into the mirror, I don't see the extra 20 pounds. I see the extra 130 pounds again. I don't feel sexy anymore and am so uncomfortable with myself. However the silver lining in this is I got married in June and my husband has been super supportive. I couldn't have picked anyone better. He saw me at my heaviest, at my skinniest and now a little curvier. Love him so much!!!

Good luck and I hope you are able to find the strength, courage and peace needed to go forward with this journey.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member while.im.still.young's Avatar
    Name
    Ashley
    Surgery date
    08/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Toby Broussard
    Last Activity
    01-18-2020 09:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 94 Times
    Blog Entries

You didn't fail at the sleeve, you more so succeeded at being human. We all have backslides now and again whether it's with weightloss or anything else. At least you had the guts to say that you weren't doing what you knew you should have been doing and you're starting to take steps towards fixing the problem. I salute you for getting help with it and making a conscious effort to get back in the saddle. Good for you.

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Denise
    Surgery date
    03/21/2012
    Surgeon
    St Luke's Bariatric Clinic
    Last Activity
    02-22-2016 09:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 16 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 283 Times
    Blog Entries

Stress eating is so hard to overcome. It's been a long time since I've been on this site and I had forgotten how helpful it is to have your encouragement. Thank you all so much.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Judie
    Surgery date
    06/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-03-2015 09:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 417 Times in 281 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 382 Times

I am 3.5 years out. I lost 55 pounds (I started at 200), maintained for over year. Then at 2 years out I regained 20 pounds in a 4 month period from depression and not getting out of bed, plus eating all day. I thought I blew it too, and I was very hard on myself about it.

I stopped it and spent 6 months beating myself up about it, and unable to budge it. Then I joined a gym, starting lifting heavy weights with a trainer, and committed myself to working out daily and tracking every bite that went into my mouth - good or bad.

It took me 4 months to lose the 20 pounds, and then 2 months to lose another 15 putting me at the lowest I have been since 8th grade. I spent the last 8 months after that continuing with my commitment to build muscle and replace fat, while listening to my trainer about eating more to fuel my body for the work I was doing. I am now in the absolute best shape of my entire life - I had a DEXA scan done recently, and I went from 40% body fat down to 17%.

It is NOT the end of the world. Your sleeve is not "broken". You *should* be able to eat more now than you used to - but you have to choose wisely and manage calories like most people. But you have an advantage - it is much easier for you to stick to a reasonable calorie goal than most people because of the sleeve. You need to get a handle on your eating, get lots of protein (double what they tell you), and pick a reasonable calorie goal that is just a little less than you are burning (get a fitbit or use an online calculator with sedentary settings since you probably lost a lot of muslce and will not be "average").

Losing weight has two side - how much you take in, and how much you burn. Dont forget you can control BOTH sides of that. Get a handle on the in, then start working on the out! If you are not exercising regularly, start small but continually progress. This is not a race - take your time and make changes you can commit to for life. Start with walking if you need to, but eventually do something that will build muscle - muscle is the key to a lifetime of not worrying about your weight. I now burn so many calories with my existing muscle and general activity and workouts, that there is virtually no way I can eat enough (while getting my protein in) to gain weight again. I maintain on about 2200 calories, at 130 pounds.

You can do this - it is NEVER too late. PM me if you ever want to chat.

Picture4.jpgPicture5.jpg

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

17. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Judie, you just knock me out!

Really! Just knock me out!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Surgery date
    12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Houston
    Last Activity
    04-19-2022 07:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 238 Times in 105 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

Why do we get knocked down?

So we learn to get up.

Keep your head up, okay, you could have done better, the only person who could not was put on a cross some 2000 years ago...

Everyone since then could have done better....

Now time to do better, and sounds like you are :-)

20. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jessiejess View Post
    I'm so sorry you are having a hard time, but you are not a failure because you have not given up. You know there is a problem, you are taking responsibility for the cause, and you are taking steps to get back on track. That sounds like the opposite of failure to me. It sounds like perseverance and dedication to never return to where you started.
    Be kind to yourself and remind yourself that you can do this. Positive self talk gains positive results. You can do this. Believe in yourself.
    Jessie, I was very touched by your response!

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

Stress eating, that's a tough one for me. I try my best to find an outlet when I get stressed out, other than food, and try hard not to allow those stressors to overwhelm me (easier said than done). Try your best to avoid doing that. You'll end up mindlessly eating, eating too fast and typically choices like kale or celery are very low on the list of food that get grabbed (not that grabbing some celery when you are stressed out and eating it is a good choice, because you are still stress eating).

Don't beat yourself up. You are a human, you will make less-than-favorable choices from time to time, but you are smart enough to realize that you want to do something about it.

Try journaling your daily food/qty, protein, water and exercise to make sure you get enough of each.
    I add food/qty to the other 3 since you can see if you are overeating certain foods that are high in calories. You don't need to stop eating them, only enjoy them in moderation.

You can do it!

PS: That was a very misleading thread name. Thanks for the let down.

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

Thank you for sharing. 3 years post op and I still feel I am in the battle for my life. Maintaining 160# loss but it's getting harder not easier.

I don't think you are a failure or that a different surgery is the miracle either. My original NUT told me I just need to keep"working" that sleeve....meaning it's up to me. You know th a that but sharing these struggles with newbies gives a more balanced view of WLS
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

Gastric Sleeve Member missemily516's Avatar
    Name
    Emily
    Surgery date
    12/23/2013
    Surgeon
    Channing Chin
    Last Activity
    02-03-2017 04:57 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 111 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times
    Blog Entries

Judie, you have provided such an amazing story and great message. The fact that you lost, gained, lost again and then lost more is so inspiring and gives us all hope that there is no failure, there is just ups and downs and where we go from here is based on what we choose to do today. Thank you for sharing your story and pictures!
    "A flower does not think of competing with the flower next to it. It just blooms"

25. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Judie
    Surgery date
    06/17/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kelly
    Last Activity
    06-03-2015 09:10 PM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 417 Times in 281 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 382 Times

I have said this quite a few times... The "average" WLS patient loses only 60% of their excess body weight from surgery. If you dont want to be "average", dont do what "average" WLS patients do. Research why that is the case, what to do about it, and get to it. There is no rush to the goal line - as someone pointed out, it is a lifelong struggle - there is no one "victory", but a series of small victories (in between failures) that makes someone a winner. There is no finish line, but there is a definite starting line you have to go over.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter