06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: This was a major mistake

I am nearly the same amount of time out as you and no way can I eat the same amount or even close to it. I would flip out if I gained 30 pounds. I've gained 10 that I needed to gain since I hit way below my goal weight but anything about 117 and I will freak. Held at 117 at the top weight for over a year now.
    Quote Originally Posted by dennek View Post
    I am 2 years and 9 months out and unfortunately, I can eat lots more than a whole sandwich. I can eat almost but not quite the same amount as before. I have regained almost 30 pounds and am really struggling to lose it again. The sleeve is a tool and you CAN misuse it as you can any tool. It won't do all the work for you, you must use it properly for it to work.
    Give it time, you'll be able to eat.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    12/18/2014
    Surgeon
    dr herrera
    Last Activity
    04-26-2015 09:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Take it from a band failure, you still can't eat more of those stuff the way you like. Also the restrictions is the same.

Gastric Sleeve Member christine53's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2013
    Surgeon
    Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    03-01-2015 10:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 229 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 162 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm also in March, 2 years out and can not eat at all like I use to. And 30 pounds, OMG never will I let myself gain and extra 4. I weigh every day to stay on track. I lose almost 100 pounds and will never go back to the way I was. This was a blessing for me. Was it hard, is it still hard. Hell ya! But so worth it. Quit your crying and bitching and go to work on yourself!

Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

Can we kill this thread?
    coonan_vampire_stake_and_357_mag_silver_bullets-tfb.png

(Ironically I just kept it going).
    Attached Images

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Actually, I still like this thread.

At this point it's seems less about Argos and more about attracting information from others about their experiences, both positive and negative.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ann2 View Post
    Actually, I still like this thread.

At this point it's seems less about Argos and more about attracting information from others about their experiences, both positive and negative.
    I guess you are right. Maybe we can continue this as a new thread, without the negativity?

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

Name
    Charletta
    Surgeon
    N/A
    Last Activity
    11-27-2015 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 117 Times in 111 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,045 Times
    Blog Entries

Ann, I agree. When I was first starting my research I certainly was searching for posts from people who regretted their decision to have the sleeve (look at the number of views this thread has gotten). Most of what you read is all positive so coming across threads where people honestly said they weren't happy and who wouldn't make the same decision over again if given the opportunity was educational. For me, reading those threads added legitimacy to all those who said they were happy.

I think the most important thing people will learn from reading this thread is that you really need to be mentally prepared to have this done. And like anything else in life, your success post-sleeve or lack thereof, depends on your attitude.

She thought she could......so she did!

Gastric Sleeve Member trexlee001's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/28/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Latchman
    Last Activity
    05-07-2015 10:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 32 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Obviously someone has some very serious food addiction issues they need to work through. There are things in life to get pleasure from that do not involve a fork and a spoon.

You do know it can't be undone right? You would be so much happier if you would just try to make the best of it.. B1tching about what you can't have won't do anything but make you feel down. Focus on the positive aspects. Find foods that you can enjoy with comfort and focus on those. Set up your meals and meal times in advance. Find a hobby.

Yes, yes.. we all know that you wouldn't do it again. And that you're very sad about giving up foods but at the same time you are still alive. You do have a lot going for you. Focus on your blessings instead of looking for curses. You will get through this.. Time will heal you and you will adjust and adapt. By next thanksgiving you'll have completely healed and you'll have completely figured out what foods you can have and it what quantities. It will get better.. it will get better.. it will get better.

Surgery date
    07/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jose Luis Curiel
    Last Activity
    11-21-2015 08:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 69 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 121 Times

Char, I also wanted to know the negative possibilities, but reading this person's experiences (Argos) could dissuade someone erroneously. Argos was newly sleeved. We all know now there is a post-surgical transition period. I remember mine not being all that great as well. I recall wondering if it was worth it for me. If someone posted that it wasn't worth it for them & they were a year or so post-op, that would be way more legitimate than reading about someone who is newly sleeved. Before the surgery, you don't necessarily have that level of discernment. Surgery is scary anyway. When I started researching, I thought I would have the lap band. Luckily, I discovered that it has many complications, way more than VSG. My point is that I don't think a person in the research stages would be served by reading Argos' posts & I think they could be misleading.

BREAK EVERY CHAIN!!!

Name
    Charletta
    Surgeon
    N/A
    Last Activity
    11-27-2015 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 117 Times in 111 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,045 Times
    Blog Entries

Fair point Ima.

I am still in the researching stage and I search for keywords like "Regret, Leak, Complications, Spleen" etc. Considering what you wrote, you're correct in that it may dissuade some and that's unfortunate. But I think the underlying theme in this thread is that Argos is mourning the end of his love affair with food, yet the majority of folks feel as though ending or changing the relationship with food is not only vital but also extremely worth it. I think if someone isn't ready to change their relationship with food, or at least be accepting of the concept, this thread SHOULD deter them from having the surgery.

Anyway- thanks to all who posted- this thread has been viewed nearly 8,000 times. That means, the lurkers (which is how most of us started out) are reading this thread and coming back to it to see the replies.

She thought she could......so she did!

Surgery date
    04/29/2014
    Surgeon
    David Schroeder
    Last Activity
    12-26-2015 07:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Argos View Post
    Thanks for the replies and all the support!

I did plenty of research before hand, 99% of it was all good, very positive, read a few forums talked to one lady who lost 85 pounds, she was happy...I never came across someone posting what I am posting, I cannot be the only one going through this.

Again I am angry at the doctors and surgeons, pre-surgery, seminars, nutritionists etc.. because they do not tell you what you are going to be missing, what you are going to feel like, what problems you will encounter and what you can and cannot do. "Everyone is different" is the quote from my surgeon. Why not say the truth? You will never be able to eat a small steak, even a 6 inch sandwich, enjoy food even remotely close to what you did before, not drink anything with your meals and oh ya you will be in pain 2-3 times a day or whenever you eat only 4 ounces of food!!!

I tried several diets that were fads and obviously they did not work, like the Atkins diet. The week prior to my surgery my surgeon said you better start now and cut down your intake to avoid your liver being big and causing potential problems for the surgery. I lost 7 lbs the week before surgery. I cannot exercise much with a bad left knee etc, .. I was encouraged with the weight loss, BUT I was still able to eat out and ENJOY food....Now, cutting your steak or fish or shrimp or apples or whatever into pieces the size of a peanut and use a cocktail fork to eat with, is absurd. THEN, you cannot taste your food and then your food gets cold, I can go on and on, and if someone mentioned all of this to me before surgery, I would never have proceeded.

So, let's be realistic here.......tell me what can you eat, enjoy in what quantities say after 6 months to a year after surgery?

Thanks again.
    Hang in there, mate :-) I was able to eat anything at all after 12 weeks...then I had to be careful NOT to eat anything I wanted, as the bad stuff would just slow down my weight loss! I can eat sandwiches, pasta (making a small Mac n cheese tonight, in fact!). Sometimes, I have a massive carb craving, so I have some pasta, but most of the time, I now find that I actually don't want what I used to crave. I used to eat chocolate daily - I've had it once since my surgery 8 months ago. I simply don't desire it like I used to.

So please don't get depressed about it, because the hardest part is the beginning. From 3 months out, I have only occasional heartburn and have felt sick once (I had something on it with really thick cheese that I couldn't digest and nearly brought up again) but otherwise can eat whatever I like. I've also found that by limiting my carbs (I have a slice of toast with an egg in the morning, most mornings, but that's it) during the week, when I drink a bottle of wine in an evening, I lose loads of weight overnight! Brilliant! Love this "diet" 😄

So, hang in there, it does get better. feel free to pm me if you have questions or need to vent :-)
    1 month post op - 17.2kg/37lbs/2.7st lost
    2 months - 8.6kg/18lbs/1.37st
    3 months - 5.1kg/11lbs
    4 months - 5kg/11lbs
    5 months - 4.1kg/9lbs
    6 months - 4.5kg/9lbs
    73.1=50kg 7/12/14
    72.8kg=8st 10/12/14
    68.1=55kg,SURGEON'S GOAL!! & "normal" BMI - 20 Jan 15

66kg=9st, MY GOAL!!! 12 Feb 2015!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member chris_1962's Avatar
    Name
    chris
    Surgery date
    11/07/2014
    Surgeon
    dr couch
    Last Activity
    08-22-2015 02:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

i felt exactly the same but its 9 weeks and im feeling much better and have got used to only eating a little it will be ok just think of your health and that supper slim body youll have.. hang in there

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Featherstone
    Last Activity
    07-09-2015 04:43 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Your 5 weeks out what do you expect? You have to take your time into eating again you will be able to just give it a chance and enjoy the weight loss and better health

Gastric Sleeve Member BBCorvette18's Avatar
    Name
    Jason
    Surgery date
    09/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-12-2019 06:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 43 Times in 32 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 825 Times
    Blog Entries

DIdn't read the whole thread wish I would seen it sooner. But good lord you say you researched the surgery but the things your bitching about were the first things that I learned about the surgery. THE POINT OF THE SURGERY IS THAT YOU CANT EAT A TON OF FOOD. You most certainly CAN eat a sandwich your just not going to eat a GIANT Sandwich. I've been eating anything (for the most part) I've wanted to since about week 5. Its most definitely a learning curve and there has been times I've "wished" i could eat a bit more then I did but guess what I can have a couple more bites after awhile and I usually don't because odds are I dont need that.

I hope you've changed your mind by now and are enjoying your new life

Day 1of 5 day pre-op diet. 380lbs
    Day before surgery.... 368lbs
    1 week post................ 350lbs
    2 weeks post-op........ 348lbs
    1st month................... 342lbs
    2nd month.................. 327lbs
    3rd month.................. 317lbs
    4th month.................. 298lbs
    5th month.................. 280lbs
    6th month.................. 267lbs
    1 year......................... 238lbs
    2 year......................... 220lbs

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/27/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Singh
    Said "Thanks" 75 Times
    Was Thanked 41 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skibabe View Post
    I've also found that by limiting my carbs (I have a slice of toast with an egg in the morning, most mornings, but that's it) during the week, when I drink a bottle of wine in an evening, I lose loads of weight overnight! Brilliant! Love this "diet"
    This!

19. Said thanks:

Page 13 of 17 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast