12/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Larson
    Last Activity
    01-15-2018 09:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 81 Times
    Was Thanked 98 Times in 59 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 325 Times

Cool First of three meetings with my nutritionist!!!

Hi everyone!

I first wanted to thank everyone who posts on this site as I typically take some time daily to read about everyone's thoughts, experiences, and insight. I am very grateful to have this forum to see how everyone deals with daily life and the bumps which appear out of nowhere.

I decided, and posted a few weeks ago about my decision to change my life with the sleeve. After meeting my surgeon, the case manager and the nutritionist, I am positive I want to do this.

Apparently my facility, here in South Florida, does things a bit differently than other places... Because of my employment, in dealing with my insurance, I only have to meet with the nutritionist three times in three months, I had already had bloodwork done with my MD. I meet the psychologist next Monday. My packet will then be submitted to be approved. She says she has not had to appeal any with my insurance, so she does not expect any issues. Then an EGD, Pulmonary clearance and the pre-surgery group attendance, am hoping for early December, but will take January if the dates get too close to Christmas!!! I do not have to do a clear liquid diet prior to surgery,(Thank goodness, was dreading that!) should expect to stay in the hospital for two and a half days, one in the ICU, then rechecked in one week. I have seen that many people have drains removed - which I know is absolutely miserable (only because I have had to remove them before), before they go home from the hospital. My doctor leaves them in for a week. I will also have to give myself Lovenox shots as well.

The nutritionist also said that I would have clears on day one in the hospital, then on to full liquids at discharge for three weeks. I think I can deal with that too. She encouraged protein shakes, but also said they really want me to figure out how to get my protein with my food as well (maybe by adding the unflavored protein to soups, etc..).

Today I weighed in at 264, I have put on 5 pounds from last week. Apparently I have shrunk over the last few years (but I know my bones are good, I just had them tested). I have always been 5'5'', now I am 5'3" - not sure what that's about, but my BMI is higher because of it (not so sure I really like that either!!!). Anyway, my MD told me I should expect to loose 75 lbs.. I am ok with that but I really hope to loose to 160-175 somewhere around there ( I have a big frame so it will still be small). If I only loose what he states, I will still be about 190, which is definitely better than now, but still larger than I would like to end up.... I guess it is up to me, I see this as a tool to assist me in making changes (kind of like anabuse(sp)) because it will be much longer than 30 days that I will be restricted and hopefully I will break my lifelong habits! I am pleased to read that many of you loose your food drive, at least for a while and also your desire and tolerance for sugary foods and carbs. Sounds great to me. I am afraid my seven year old son is in for a severe culture shock! It will be good for him and he is at a stage where he will want to do anything to help me and hopefully I can change some of his thoughts about food early!

I really enjoy reading everyone's posts, I am not a huge participator, but choose to live vicariously in the backround. I find that new and old have much to offer everyone.. much like in AA, the young ones (early sleevers) remind us where we have come from..... I am looking forward to enjoying this journey with all of you!!! Please keep posting everyone, it really does help!

I am sure I will participate more as time gets closer, will keep everyone updated on my adventure!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: First of three meetings with my nutritionist!!!

Welcome! Good luck to you.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    12/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Larson
    Last Activity
    01-15-2018 09:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 81 Times
    Was Thanked 98 Times in 59 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 325 Times

Thanks, I love your threads!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member SadieHippie's Avatar
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Noel Williams
    Last Activity
    10-12-2014 05:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Welcome! Best of luck to you in your journey. I'm looking the beginning of December as well for my sleeve.
    "Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels!"

09/10/2014 1st Dr. Weigh-in: 258
    10/13/2014 2nd Dr. Weigh-in: TBD

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Good luck to you.

Do me a favor. Save this thread, and check back in about six or seven months. You're going to laugh. I'm not trying to be mean here. I just want to point out that the realities of your new life in six or seven months are going to be unbelievably different than your expectations of today.

And......that's definitely a good thing.

Just remember one thing. You must never, ever ever, ever, ever, ever, ever overeat....ever.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Welcome to the site!
    I totally agree with tinman, your life is going to change so much after you are sleeved. The changes will be subtle but dramatic. Enjoy this wonderful journey!

13. Said thanks: