Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    08-27-2014 10:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Why am i reading about weight loss in "one year" ?? what about beyond..i want it all OFF !

dd
    ssjsi
    sksks

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member CharlieFarley's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/08/2014
    Surgeon
    Mr Welbourn
    Last Activity
    03-02-2018 02:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 86 Times
    Was Thanked 54 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 298 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why am i reading about weight loss in "one year" ?? what about beyond..i want it all OFF !

Last week, I was reminded at my 6-week post-op check-up that sleeve patients can typically expect to lose weight for about two years before it really becomes difficult to lose more. Also, that although the medical profession generally still say the sleeve has little long-term data with it, in the medium term (5 years), my surgeon said that sleeve patients reach the same results as bypass patients. (Considering that my surgical team still prefer the bypass as the "gold standard", I believe that to be a significant statement.)

During my own research, I tracked a number of sleeve patients on Youtube. I went as far as adding their numbers to a spreadsheet and plotting their weightloss on a graph. Accepting that the sample size of patients was really small, the graph showed that all these people lost weight at a remarkably similar rate, regardless of their starting point; up to 110 pounds in the first six months. Remember though: these people were all motivated enough to make regular video blog posts, so are perhaps likely to be amongst those sleeve patients who pay most attention to every detail to their diet/exercise. Also repeating that my sample size is really small, so it hardly forms the basis of a scientific study. However, I continue to use the spreadsheet, adding my own weekly numbers to see whether my own weight loss is consistent with theirs. So far, it is... I'm guessing that I'm on track to lose at least 80% of my 106lb excess in 6 months.

Quote Originally Posted by pency View Post
    If I stay on the prescribed low cal/high protein and exercise can't I continue to lose?
    Logically, I'd say the simple answer to that simple question has to be "yes". Practically, there's a limit to the time that protein should be the nutritional focus before other nutrients must be considered. Check out DrMatthewWeiner on Youtube. (Sadly, I still haven't posted enough on this forum to be permitted to include links.) He's a bariatric surgeon who has a lot to say on post-surgery nutrition - his guidance is that after the first year, sleeve patients work on a more balanced, healthy diet rather than focus only on the protein.

Personally, I feel that the prediction of 60% of excess weight loss is very conservative. Even so, "merely less obese", in context, will really be "dramatic weight loss and significantly life-improving". I am expecting better excess weight loss than 60% for myself. (I'm already at 45% after only 7 weeks.) But people are individuals and no surgeon is going to give a specific number to everybody, so they offer generalisations without guarantees. Much will depend on your own physiology and actions.

I hope there's some encouragement for you there within my cold logic! Wishing you the very best with whatever you decide to do.

Male, age 46, 6'1" tall. Starting BMI was 39 at 2 weeks pre-op. My weight loss chart.
    BMI=35 at 3 weeks post-op! BMI=30 at 15 weeks post-op! BMI=25 at 9 months post-op!
    Reached ultimate goal within 5 months of surgery: free of all prescription medicines! My blog.

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times

Default Re: Why am i reading about weight loss in "one year" ?? what about beyond..i want it all OFF !

jejeje
    \ahnahaha
    kdkdkd

Name
    Shalon
    Surgery date
    10/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Luis Garcia
    Last Activity
    06-11-2015 11:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

you lose 60% of the excess in the first year. Not, 60% and then stop.

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

I am out 2.2 years out and still losing, albeit slowly, but who cares! You only stop losing when you start adding too much junk to your diet. I always go back to a high protein, low carb diet when I am working on it. 10 more lbs to goal! Best to you!
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Dwayne
    Surgery date
    01/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bacal
    Last Activity
    02-14-2016 06:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 239 Times
    Was Thanked 281 Times in 239 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,189 Times
    Blog Entries

Pency most weight loss will happen in the first 12 months. There several of us here that have lost a lot of their excess weight within that time and continue to lose. Check out Timan's stats.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Laycock
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times

Hello
    going to TJ in a few weeks for Dr Almanza
    I am reading about people losing 60% of their excess in a yr.
    ALso that losing slows/stops after a year.

If I stay on the prescribed low cal/high protein and exercise can't I continue to lose?

I need to lose nearly 200LBS and would be severely depressed if I could "only" lose 100-120 and still be 80lb overweight.
    I would not consider that successful.
    It is a start but at 80lbs overweight still morbidly obese.

I gained this in 2-3 yrs after being a normal weight when I quit smoking.stress/emotional eating for 2 yrs straight. Now battling type 2 and cannot get it off.

Considering this is new weight and not a lifelong weight and set point for my bod to be obese...I can lose all this weight and go back to where I was a mere 5 yrs ago can't I?

I'd like to think this was a one time thing w major depression and now IU'd like to have my entire life and body back..i don't want to be merely "less obese"

any encouragement for those w a lot to lose?
    Everyone has given you great information. I think it is important to note though that the majority of people with the sleeve do not lose all of their excess weight, ever. It is very important to have realistic expectations based on the current data available on the long term results. Stating that you would become severely depressed if you did not lose all of your excess weight is concerning, and hopefully an exaggeration. Many people find that seeing a therapist about this whole journey is helpful, and many insurance carriers require it (although I know you are self pay). As I mentioned, a realistic set of expectations can be really helpful. Good luck.

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Shirleybird's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/11/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-31-2015 03:06 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 56 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 98 Times
    Blog Entries

You absolutely can lose all your weight!! What does happen to most people including me is that after about 6-8 months your stomach has healed very well and you can eat more. Also, because you can eat more your mind can go back to old habits because of some of the reasons we ate in the first place. Don't get depressed!!! I actually gave myself permission to give myself a break from dieting {yes that is right, this is just another diet at this point}, but I still can't eat very much. So, that means I have to eat some protein and veggies and no junk to continue to lose. It is more than possible because of this amazing tool that Dr Almanza gave me in Oct. last year. You will do great!!! Sincerely, Shirleybird

17. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Rothchild
    Said "Thanks" 181 Times
    Was Thanked 530 Times in 430 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12,041 Times
    Blog Entries

All of us loose differently but for me I had my surgery September of 2011 I lost 126 lbs in the first 15 months and then got pregnant gained 30 then lost about 20 after my son was born but recently its seemed harder to loose the last 40 lbs. its not really harder its just slower for me so I have to be patient. I am down to 175 from my largest weight of 450 so its possible to loose an extreme amount of weight but it takes complete lifestyle changes that have to be permanent. The sleeve is just a tool you have to find a way to make it work for you. Best wishes.
    "Its Not Hard Its Just New!"
    Transforming from caterpillar to butterfly to phoenix!

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times

fjf
    dsidkm dk
    xxcxcop

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    03/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Laycock
    Said "Thanks" 84 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 69 Times

Thanks for all the helpful responses.

I was just unsure whether the procedure did something physiologically w hormones or something else that made us stick to a "set point" weight after losing for a certain period of time and that was it.
    If it is a matter of our behavior dictating the results and using the sleeve as help/starter, then I am ok w that.

Again, I was afraid it was a race to lose as much in a year because after that on'e s body adapted.
    I have had small manageable amounts to lose before, but never like this.

I must say to the poster who speaks of "realistic goals" and "expectations" and says you hope I am exaggerating about being depressed if I were still overweight by 80-100 lbs. Thanks, but your post is pretty offensive and not helpfu.
    I don't if, when people make those kinds of posts they really believe they are being helpfl as they claim or they are masking sabotage and negative will on others.
    Why do you care what/how I feel?
    It is my right to not want to live a life as an obese person.
    Maybe it doesn;'t matter to some, but to me it does.
    My motivations and goals are really npot anyone else's business.
    I would never go on a thread where someone lost say 50lbs and was still 10lbs overweight and tell them that were still fat, unattractive and unhealthy and tey should have highers standards ...but "good luck"

can you imagine how effing offensive and out of line that would be>?

So, I'll say it even though I am a newbie here...the replies that don't answer people's questions, but instead question motives of vanity and "
    encourage" "realistic" expectations etc are really obnoxious and not welcome.

I didn't sign on and ask "can I lose 100 lbs in a week"

I asked if my formerly thin/ NOMRAL WEIGHT self was achievable w the sleeve or if the sleeve would be a long term detriment..because, hello..i want my normal/healthy life back.
    IMO that is a pretty positive expectation/goal and outlook...researching and asking experienced people so I can live a fulfilling life.

I guess that is too lofty a goal for me to have...I'll go back to the fat cave now !
    thanks !
    You said "I would never go on a thread where someone lost say 50lbs and was still 10lbs overweight and tell them that were still fat, unattractive and unhealthy and tey should have highers standards ...but "good luck"

can you imagine how effing offensive and out of line that would be>?"

I did not say that at ALL. You asked if you could lose all your weight and I talked about statistics. If you can't deal with the truth (the real life statistics on total weight loss for sleeve patients on average), and find it offensive, that is your deal. It IS the truth and all you have to do is search for the statistics to prove it. SO Gee, sorry you are offended by facts. Could you be the exception, absolutely, any one of us can, but not all of us will be. It is called reality.

Gastric Sleeve Member Cyndy-loo's Avatar
    Name
    Cyndy-loo
    Surgery date
    05/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-13-2018 08:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 78 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 252 Times
    Blog Entries

I can only speak to my journey so far and I hope it helps: Before I got the sleeve I was very apprehensive because I did not think I could try yet another weight loss approach and fail and that too. I had a huge fear of failing which caused me to be depressed about my so called lack of willpower. I went through with it anyway as I started to use visualization (seeing myself thin and sexy) as a way to cope. At first I was over joyed with the weight loss as I did loose a lot in the first 2 months. Now I have slowed with this loss to about a pound a week. The crazy thing is, I feel so good with the weight I have already lost that it keeps me motivated to stay on track. It is not just the weight loss that keeps me motivated; it is also the health benefits I am seeing. I am no longer pre diabetic, I no longer take my high blood pressure medication and I no longer need my cpap machine. It took me 2 weeks of my husband telling me I no longer needed it before I actually believed it. I am a stronger person mentally, emotionally and soon physically as I am starting weight lifting. If someone would have told me I would feel this way 2/3's of the way towards my goal I would not have believed them. I would have wanted to, but because of my vast experience of failing at it I would have doubted it. The fear is still there in the back of my mind because I spent years reinforcing it. I know I am only 4 months out and I can't speak to loosing more than I want too (i.e. 100 to 200 pounds) but the emotional, physical and mental reward I get every time I move or look at myself in the mirror far outweighs the fear and keeps me looking forward. Another side benefit to what is happening with me is that my husband has gotten on board and is eating better as well. So he no longer buys the junk food to bring home. Have I pigged out on junk food? Sure I have. but it makes me sick and now when I look at it I feel like I am going to vomit. I don't even want it anymore. I am hoping that is something that will happen to you as well. The other thing I want to speak too, is the fear and self consciousness I felt over the journey I was about to take made me very sensitive to perceived insults when non was actually meant. It was the fear talking. Weight loss is a crazy journey and you are now embarking on the only proven method of success. I do believe you will get to where you want to be so keep me posted on your success, please.

23. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Pency,

Welcome to the internet.

And welcome to being a newbie on a message board where members have done what you have not done yet.

Here's some more unsolicited advice for you: Find a big ditch and throw your "all or nothing" thinking into it. Then drive away.

Sincerely,

Ann

P.S. CharlieFarley ... awesome post!

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

25. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times

jsoisoic
    mnzxojcn z
    xk joz