Surgery date
    11/26/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times

Default Dealing with hurtful comments

In the last 3 weeks these things have been said to me about my weight and I just don't know how to recover from them such as, "you've lost a lot of weight, but you're still fat". Another comment, "that shirt looks good on you, it hides your rolls". This one is probably the most hurtful, "you fat f&%^ing psycho bit*h". Yahhh, it's great to be me. I struggle to loose weight as quickly as most others because of a slow thyroid, medication, and allergies to many things but to have to stomach this emotional abuse on top of it all, really takes the wind out of my sails. Yes turning a negative into a positive and using these comments as motivation to rub it in there faces that I can be happy and healthy in my own skin is one thing but I wish people could just be more kind and understanding, especially when I've dealt with my weight being an issue my whole life. How do you deal these types of people?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Last Activity
    05-26-2016 08:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 304 Times in 287 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

Default Re: Dealing with hurtful comments

My favorite comeback for fat comments was the classic "I may be fat, but you are ugly, and I can diet."

8/14/13 - 279 Pre-Op
    8/28/13 - 265 Surgery
    9/28/13 - 235
    10/28/13 - 218
    11/28/13 - 209
    12/28/13 - 198
    01/16/14 - 195

Blood Sugar 140 with metformin before surgery, 80 with no meds after surgery
    Blood Pressure 145/90 before and 110/70 after

Name
    Mary
    Surgery date
    02/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Parrish
    Last Activity
    06-01-2015 12:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 97 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times
    Blog Entries

You cannot let someone else dictate how you see yourself. Fat people can lose weight. A$$holes are always a$$holes;

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Last Activity
    05-26-2016 08:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 304 Times in 287 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

That said, I am sorry that you are having to hear that crap. No matter what approach you take, its painful to hear that kind of crap. But as I have said a number of times before, people are flawed. So, as long as you have some obvious vulnerability there will be some a--hole around to pick at and open wounds. The only thing you can do is be confident that they wont be able to call you that for much longer. The worst part for me always was that it was only close friends that called me fat to my face. Everyone else did it behind my back.

8/14/13 - 279 Pre-Op
    8/28/13 - 265 Surgery
    9/28/13 - 235
    10/28/13 - 218
    11/28/13 - 209
    12/28/13 - 198
    01/16/14 - 195

Blood Sugar 140 with metformin before surgery, 80 with no meds after surgery
    Blood Pressure 145/90 before and 110/70 after

Gastric Sleeve Member Deejaycee76's Avatar
    Name
    Dustin
    Surgery date
    02/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Steven A. Tersigni
    Last Activity
    12-29-2017 11:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 130 Times in 115 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 109 Times
    Blog Entries

Some people are stupid as sh*t. What is this elementary school? Not sure who's talking all this sh*t to you, but it sounds like you need to disassociate with their dumb asses.
    Go on and brush ya shoulders off. F**k em.
    With that said, I know it hurts...use it.
    Get your mind right...Get your grind right

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergio Quinones
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 37 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 81 Times

You are absolutely beautiful....look at your face.....my goodness....stand tall & be proud! You are breathtakingly gorgeous and those losers are jealous! Jealous they don't look as good as you and even with surgery they wouldn't look as good as you. ....wanna know why?.....cause they are ugly within.....not like you who is beautiful

9. Said thanks:

Name
    Neil
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-03-2015 08:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 80 Times
    Blog Entries

Please remember that people that are that hurtful are hiding behind problems of there own and feel better about themselves when the put down others. I realize how hurtful it can be but just remember your better than them!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Denise
    Surgery date
    04/21/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Naik
    Said "Thanks" 300 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,048 Times

I'm so sorry you're going through this. You're doing an awesome job keep it up. Keep away from those kind of people, hoping it's not someone close to you.

4/21/14 day of surgery 231.5 lbs
    4/22/14 day after surgery 235.5 lbs

****1st goal 199 lbs **** 10/20/14

****2nd goal 175 lbs

****final goal 150 lbs

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-21-2017 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

I've told people: under all this fat, I'm still a real person with real feelings. If you can't talk to me like a normal human being, don't say anything to me at all.

I'm sorry you're going through this. I haven't experienced what you're talking about, but I've had my share of skinny shaming. If people are going to say negative things about you, they'll do so regardless of your weight. I do hope your experience pre-goal will prep you for the hate you'll receive once you're there (not that I wish that on you).

Name
    Shalon
    Surgery date
    10/02/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Luis Garcia
    Last Activity
    06-11-2015 11:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 44 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 16 Times
    Blog Entries

I don't know how it was said, but that one about hiding the rolls is something my friend would say to me and I'd love it. I have more rolls now that I've lost weight, but even more than that. I love when you can actually trust a friend's clothing advice because you know they'll be honest when it doesn't "hide your rolls" I know it's not what you want to hear but if you use a shaper it'll make your body more uniform looking(I've had to buy one so I don't get grossed out by my body in the mirror lately, just because the weight loss has made another roll and has loosened all that flesh up) Actually the first two are things my friends say that I value hearing, but it's all in the delivery. Whoever's calling you a fat f--- psycho---etc, is someone you need to oust from your life.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine25 View Post
    In the last 3 weeks these things have been said to me about my weight and I just don't know how to recover from them such as, "you've lost a lot of weight, but you're still fat". Another comment, "that shirt looks good on you, it hides your rolls". This one is probably the most hurtful, "you fat f&%^ing psycho bit*h". Yahhh, it's great to be me. I struggle to loose weight as quickly as most others because of a slow thyroid, medication, and allergies to many things but to have to stomach this emotional abuse on top of it all, really takes the wind out of my sails. Yes turning a negative into a positive and using these comments as motivation to rub it in there faces that I can be happy and healthy in my own skin is one thing but I wish people could just be more kind and understanding, especially when I've dealt with my weight being an issue my whole life. How do you deal these types of people?
    Sunshine, I hope you realize that someone who says to you: "you fat f&%^ing psycho bit*h" is never, ever going to "... just be more kind and understanding ...." That person is poisonous to you.

I strongly, strongly advise you to NEVER be around this person in the future. Anyone who spews that kind of emotional abuse is very dangerous.

And if you think you can EVER become skinny enough or charming enough or beautiful enough to make them stop abusing you, be nice to you or love you, you are badly mistaken.

Part of taking care of ourselves is not going to places or being with people where the odds are high that we will be injured.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Terrie
    Surgery date
    09/24/2014
    Surgeon
    Quinones
    Last Activity
    04-02-2019 09:00 AM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 110 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Sunshine25 View Post
    Who said this to you? OMG!! Come up with a response the next time you hear one of those mean comments. And say it. It doesn't have to be rude but put them on the spot. Like perhaps.."Please explain why you would say something so nasty to me?" Look at them square in the eye..and press for an answer. It will make them squirm and be embarrassed.
    When I have facial cosmetic surgery (face lift,,and more) I was having coffee with about half dozen coworkers, as we do in the mornings. One of the ladies went on to talk about how crazy it is to have a facelift and that when people get old (I am only 52) and have a facelift their face doesn't match their body. She also said mine didn't look natural and it was ridiculous. ( It was early and I was still swollen and took a while to look natural) I cannot imagine what she was saying behind my back.
    It was pretty nasty but I did "consider the source". The woman who was saying this is one year older than me, about 50lbs heavier, is very frumpy and has been mistaken to be in her mid 60's.
    So chin up..don't take this to heart. ..Once I was trying on a long sweater at a store. The sales lady said "that sweater covers a multitude of sins. I said "Oh do I need that?"
    You cannot control what people say to you, but you need to decide to not let it get you down. There are probably enough people who are building you up. Focus on those people.

Name
    Dwayne
    Surgery date
    01/07/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bacal
    Last Activity
    02-14-2016 06:26 PM
    Said "Thanks" 239 Times
    Was Thanked 281 Times in 239 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,189 Times
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear you are receiving negative comments. However, you can take solace that you are getting healthy. My medical team mentioned frequently that there be people wanting me to fail. Some people are insecure about themselves and their shortcomings. As the weight comes off, I have had a few people react negatively in addition to the argument I didn't lose the weight the right way. I remember the program coordinator mention that for persons like myself who are (were) the fattest person in the room, some of the opposition may come from those who risk being the new heaviest person in the room as my weight comes off.

That said, you mentioned not being sure on how to recover from the negative comments. I quote Clint Eastwood as Gunnery Sgt. Thomas Highway from the movie Heartbreak Ridge, "Don't give the prick the satisfaction".

Use these negative comments as fuel to step up your transformational efforts.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

It's hard to imagine anyone saying something like that! I have never heard any negative comments. (But like someone else said, maybe they are just talking behind my back.)

One of the "behind my back" ones was when someone told my husband their friend had weight loss surgery and gained ALL her weight back.