Surgeon
    Chae
    Last Activity
    05-31-2016 12:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default reassurance needed

I have had a few people over the last month tell me they regret the surgery. they are always sick, cant keep anything down, and will never enjoy food again. One person I talk to is almost 2 years out the other is 7 months out.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: reassurance needed

Do you know anything else about those patients -- what kind of support they had going through the weight loss journey? Where they had their surgeries? Do they have (if you know) any kinds of eating disorders? If they eat protein first, then veggies and fruits, then carbs?

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    Nathan
    Surgery date
    02/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Igal Breitman
    Last Activity
    10-06-2015 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 224 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 393 Times
    Blog Entries

I have not thrown up since before surgery and I love food. I eat whatever I want, just much less. Everyone is different, but in general most people have a good experience.

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    06/10/2014
    Surgeon
    Manuel Castro
    Last Activity
    10-11-2017 07:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 26 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,137 Times
    Blog Entries

Everyone's journey of the sleeve is different. Please DO NOT compare your journey with theirs! Whatever their grievance toward their sleeve, I'm sure there is something else behind it. I'm not saying that their are people that don't have complications, because with any surgery there is risk, but even many of those on here that had complications in the beginning come out loving their sleeve in the end.

This journey is yours and yours alone. Don't let them discourage you. Find some positive influence and support and kindly remind them that you are not them. :-)

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Brigitte
    Surgery date
    08/24/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 400 Times in 330 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 140 Times

I find myself enjoying food more now than pre-sleeve. Since the quantity I consume is so small, I look for food/recipes that pack a flavourful, nutritious punch. My family is really enjoying this side effect. LOL
    Nov. 15/17 - re-sleeve, hiatal hernia repair, gallbladder removal with Dr. A. Lopez from AloBariatrics in Puerto Vallarta

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    dr lenz
    Last Activity
    12-06-2018 02:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times
    Blog Entries

Outside of one or two on this site, I have not met, or heard of anyone who regretted their decision to have the sleeve or the bypass. I was amazed at how easy the actual surgery was - the pre-op diet was tough - no doubt, and it wasn't easy going through the graduated process of eating & learning after surgery, but at almost 8 months out it was and is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I can eat anything I choose - I just don't so far choose to test the waters with things that got me in trouble in the first place - yet anyway. I never had any nausea, never vomited, really never had pain (uncomfortable if you eat more than you should (thank you GOD!) - but I researched the heck out of this surgery & took 1 1/2 years to make the decision even after I got approval from my insurance and I can honestly tell you the regrets I have heard or read about are next to nil. Jump! You will be so grateful you did.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member broncos_fan's Avatar
    Name
    autumn
    Surgery date
    06/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Chae
    Last Activity
    05-31-2016 12:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Thank you everyone you are right. They can be sabotaging their weight loss. One even told me she she ate a chicken nugget an threw up.

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Penny
    Surgery date
    12/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Keith Boone
    Last Activity
    02-29-2016 07:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 31 Times
    Blog Entries

Ya know what...I did have complications, and I was pretty sick. However, even with that in mind, I would do it again! This is the best thing I have ever done for myself. I do have periods where I have had second thoughts, but my excitement with the positive/healthy changes - better mental/emotional health too. Hang in there - You will be ok!

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member greenmomma's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ragui Sadek
    Last Activity
    12-20-2023 04:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 168 Times in 150 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 65 Times
    Blog Entries

I've had no physical problems from the surgery. Very easy recovery and I'm 9 months out. However, don't minimize the mental aspects of the surgery and the enormous changes ahead of you. The mental aspect is as hard, if not harder, than the physical. Good luck.

18. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Ms. Jupiter's Avatar
    Last Activity
    08-15-2016 08:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 98 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 696 Times
    Blog Entries

Same here. I can eat whatever I want, It is choosing not eat certain things that is the hard part.
    I just get full faster and have had to learn how to make better choices.
    I have never been sick, and I still enjoy food. Just much less of it.
    You have to think about what is right for you. Talk to surgeon about your concerns. Don't let someone discourage you.

20. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Ms. Jupiter's Avatar
    Last Activity
    08-15-2016 08:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 98 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 62 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 696 Times
    Blog Entries

Great advice!!!

Quote Originally Posted by greenmomma View Post
    I've had no physical problems from the surgery. Very easy recovery and I'm 9 months out. However, don't minimize the mental aspects of the surgery and the enormous changes ahead of you. The mental aspect is as hard, if not harder, than the physical. Good luck.

22. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Someone on another thread said, wisely, that sometimes she still misses her best friend -- food. I think she was wise to recognize that. However, I didn't perceive that she had any plans at all to sacrifice her life on the altar of food.

Nonetheless, if anyone here truly prefers to remain the narcotic of overeating to greater health, a longer life, a fuller life, and the rewards of slaughtering a monster who has haunted their dreams, then they probably should NOT get weight loss surgery.

For many people, I think Greenmomma is right: "... don't minimize the mental aspects of the surgery and the enormous changes ahead of you. The mental aspect is as hard, if not harder, than the physical."

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

24. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member dawneesdeals's Avatar
    Name
    Dawnee
    Surgery date
    05/08/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Schweitzer
    Last Activity
    06-26-2015 04:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm 7 weeks out and let me tell you, the first few weeks were emotionally very rough. I thought I was totally ready for this surgery - I had all my foods, I had been reading this site for months, I passed all my tests and I was approved within 24 hours of my paperwork being submitted. But what I didn't realize, and what I don't think anyone can truly tell you, is that my relationship with food was so all encompassing. It had weaved it's way so silently in and out of my entire life that when I could no longer eat as I had, I was lost. I didn't know who I was anymore.

Add to it that my body had just had major surgery, I was now on all sorts of medications including a blood thinner (I had to use a needle twice a day to insert into my stomach for 4 weeks), I couldn't drink and eat at the same time and that's not even mentioning the impact it had on my family. People stopped inviting us over for lunch or dinner because they were afraid to eat in front of me. I was a little afraid of eating in front of them anyway because I was still learning how much I could eat, how fast I could eat it and how not to eat so much that I belched - that is what happens to me when my sleeve is full. (For some their nose runs and a lady here at work sneezes 3 times when hers is full.) Most of all, I was very angry at myself. Angry that I didn't have the self control I needed to lose this weight without going through these drastic measures. Angry that people have created all of these processed foods that I was addicted to. Angry that my son is addicted to them and it's my fault. The anger I did not expect at all. I remember on Day 5 that I was so hungry I told my wife I wanted to just eat and eat and eat and then die and I didn't care.

Fast forward 7 weeks and I have come a long way since that dark time. I have lost 45 pounds, 38 of those since my surgery, and I no longer have high blood pressure nor do I need to take that medication. I also no longer snore and no longer need to wear my CPAP machine. This is a big deal because I snored so bad before that I had to sleep in a different room. Also, one of the first things I remember noticing is that I also no longer get out of breathe anymore. I can walk and walk, which I now love to do, and I barely break a sweat.

As someone above said, I do enjoy my food more. I carefully select what I am going to eat and what my family is going to eat. I'm learning how to substitute good foods for bad foods. Am I perfect? Far from it. I just try and take it one meal at a time and if I find myself getting off track, I just get back on again the next meal. The sleeve is that little extra piece of willpower that I didn't have before which always kept me failing at every diet I tried. It literally stops you in mid mouthful of food to say "Hey, haven't you had enough of that!"

Anyway, I just wanted to tell you my journey and as you can see, everyone is different. Go in with an open mind and be as prepared as you can for a new life afterwards best of luck to you!

26. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/12/2014
    Surgeon
    Amandaz
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times

You should be so proud of yourself......that is going to be me

Name
    Laura
    Surgery date
    08/21/2013
    Surgeon
    Hawasali
    Last Activity
    10-13-2014 07:31 AM
    Michigan by way of England, Mumbai, Cairo and Boston
    Said "Thanks" 25 Times
    Was Thanked 440 Times in 415 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 829 Times

Postop I had a huge amount of nausea but even then I don't regret the sleeve. Sometimes I eat something that doesn't agree with my sleeve and it comes back up. Even then I don't regret it. For the most part I eat whatever I want (chicken nuggets included) and I enjoy what little I'm able to eat a lot more. Even on my worst days I don't regret my sleeve.

You have to understand that the decision to take this journey lasted 10 years. I would go to seminars and/or talk to surgeons and decided something wasn't right or that it was the right time. I truly agree that a great deal of this is mental, psychological and spiritual. The better you are in your own skin the more successful you will be. I did this for my health, and it's working, but the other plusses are things I never really thought possible. I'm so close to my surgeon's goal of 163 pounds I can almost taste it. I'd kind of hoped to get there by the end of the year but I've given myself two to get to my own goal. I know that I can succeed.

Lastly, listen to your body. It knows what it needs. I eat almost exclusively protein, but sometimes I crave a startch and I'll have a handful of popcorn or a spoonful of mashed potato. It satisfies the feeling and the next day I am almost always down a pound. You're going to spend the rest of your life working with your sleeve, so make friends with your body as soon as possible.

Congrats and good luck. Keep us posted.

29. Said thanks: