Surgeon
    Dr streeter
    Last Activity
    03-31-2014 12:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 47 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times

Default Long term effects

Tonigh I was telling my dad that I am taken all the steps to go forward with this surgery. So then he says he really does not want me to and the two people he knew who had weightloss surgery have passed away. Now he had no idea what type of surgery either had or whag caused the death. But he kept telling me I should not do it. My mind is pretty much made up that this is for me and the time is nkw.
    My question is are there any long term sleevers on here and how are you feeling? Is there long term risk?
    Thanks my dad of course just freaked me out

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/13/2011
    Surgeon
    Rothchild
    Said "Thanks" 181 Times
    Was Thanked 530 Times in 430 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12,041 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Long term effects

I am not as long term as some I have talked to but I am 22 months out and I couldn't be happier. It wasn't always easy but it was all worth it. I haven't had any real complications other than on day 6 post op my drain tube stitch broke and that hurt when the tube moved. And now I have a form of "dumping syndrome" but luckily for me its caused by artificial stuff in "foods" so that is easy enough to avoid and it helps my brain stick to healthy choices. Best of luck and do what you feel is the right thing for YOU.
    "Its Not Hard Its Just New!"
    Transforming from caterpillar to butterfly to phoenix!

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Karenricha's Avatar
    Name
    Karen
    Surgery date
    04/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr Terracina
    Last Activity
    07-05-2013 03:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 33 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

I felt the same way - but I actually looked on YouTube and there are some people from like 7 years ago who posted their sleeve experience...maybe try that... to me if we get the sleeve we are not altering anything in our body. People have gallstones and have their gallbladder removed and its fine...so we get half our stomach removed - food still flows in the same direction..nothing is "bypassed" - we still use the gastric juices from our stomach to break down and absorb foods. The only job you have is to make sure you give your body good nutrition - our protein - our vitamins..
    I mean if you think about it...if you want to live a healthier life - wouldn't you take a multivitamin everyday? - Wouldnt you give your body proper nutrition? It just makes sense to me! good luck with your search for knowledge!

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Ranch Nurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/19/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-21-2014 07:03 AM
    Said "Thanks" 12 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

I am almost 6 months out, but I can tell you that you have to consider what being overweight does to your body as well. Diabetes, High blood pressure, respiratory issues, joint issues plus many more. I am down 54 pounds in less than 6 months and I feel better than I have in years. My goal has not been met, but I continue to lose therefore I know it will be attained. I eat healthy and exercise. Given how EXTREMELY better I feel, I do not regret my surgery (sleeve) one bit.
    Live like there is no tomorrow, love like you've never been hurt before, Dance Like no One is WATCHING!!! Believe in yourself,and FOLLOW YOUR DREAMS!!!!!!!!!!!

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member thenewmetoday's Avatar
    Name
    joanne
    Surgery date
    04/17/2012
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    10-30-2017 03:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 445 Times
    Was Thanked 309 Times in 215 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,313 Times
    Blog Entries

I am at 12 months, my age on surgery day was 70. I have reached goal, all my med. conditions are gone and I feel great. Had my knee replaced in Oct. and recovery was so good because of weight loss. Now I can walk forever, hike, and wear really nice clothes. Not having any problems with stomach, can't each much or fast so that is all good. I continue to use protien drink to ensure I get all my protien, vitamins also. Share this with him. Hope it helps.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Beautiful Swan's Avatar
    Surgeon
    Dr. RoseMarie Jones
    Last Activity
    08-01-2014 10:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times
    Blog Entries

I am in process. I have elected not to share this decision with my parents , even though they may be supportive until after it is done. I chose this decision to avoid all the chatter - my mom sometimes broadcasts to everyone etc. while I am comfortable in my decision, I do not want everyone providing their opinion to stress me out. I'm glad for my decision to sleeve and am looking forward to sharing the news once it is done. My best friend a d husband know and I'm happy with that. So I can understand how you feel. Just remember to follow your own heart and make your own decisions based on what you want.
    Good luck! I have my next class 6/3 and psych evail 7/1. I'm so excited!

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member WaywardSmiles's Avatar
    Name
    TJ
    Surgery date
    04/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Boutt
    Last Activity
    06-28-2014 03:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 34 Times in 32 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 45 Times
    Blog Entries

Your dad is just worried for you. People can pass with any surgery. There are unknown variables. Do your research and talk/inform your dad. I bet he'll feel better when he realizes you have lots of information. Post-surgery...don't completely rely on us-you MUST depend on your surgeon to answer questions as well. He/she can not help you if you don't inform them of what is going on with you:not drinking enough, pain that seems to get worse each day, nausea not relieved by meds, vomiting. I researched many hospital sites, government sites(Canadian and U.S.), health sites, here, and YouTube for information-and did so until I had no more questions and was able to answer all questions asked of me. Best wishes to you...
    I am 5'8" large frame

Heaviest: 314 pounds
    Night before surgery:301.2
    "Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, any one can start from now and make a brand new ending"-Carl Bard

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Thomas Umbach
    Last Activity
    11-25-2014 10:51 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I had gastric sleeve surgery 11-19-12, have lost 130 pounds, this has completely changed my life. No more blood pressure meds, diabetes medication or cholesterol pills. A lot of energy. You must remember this is a life saving surgery, and you need to do exactly what the doc and his team say or it will not work. Best wishes :-)

Name
    Nathan
    Surgery date
    02/06/2014
    Surgeon
    Igal Breitman
    Last Activity
    10-06-2015 03:02 PM
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 224 Times in 213 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 393 Times
    Blog Entries

I had someone tell me not to get surgery because someone that had the band ended up with brain cancer. Not sure how they made the lead from stomach surgery to brain cancer, but it's easy for people to freak out.

You aren't changing that much with the sleeve, so you would think the long term effects would be less than the bypass. Just my two cents.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

To OP ...

Good grief.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/17/2014
    Surgeon
    James B Wooldridge Jr
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 72 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 131 Times
    Blog Entries

Point of the matter is, we all die. Eventually we all croak. It's just a matter of what kills us.

Regarding the surgery, there's a very low percentage of death attached to the surgery itself. There's even just a small chance you'll even have complications that aren't life-threatening. It's major surgery but it's not like open heart surgery or anything that's as severe and runs higher risks when something does go wrong.

However this is your dad being, well, your dad. He loves you, so he will worry and any horror story he hears from other people is going to go straight to the "NOPE" part of his brain. I suggest finding some articles on the risks and percentages of said risks (they're low, believe me) and letting him read them for himself. Or if it's possible, let him speak to your surgeon. Ultimately you're an adult and you have the right to make 100% of your decisions now but it'll be easier if he's more at ease and not planning for your funeral the whole time you're going through this process.