Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

Stacey03

Dumping Syndrome

Rate this Entry
Hallo!
I'm doing good but I did have a bit of a wobble the other day.I was down in Sydney and I had a piece of cracker and some soft feta in oil, like you get from the deli, on the cracker. Just afterwards we went next door to a bar as it was my partners birthday. Within 30 mins i was feeling cramps so popped to the bathroom in the bar. I suddenly felt so dreadfully ill, so I texted my partner to come quickly (luckily she is a doctor).
Well I had dreadful diahorreah, palpitations, sweating, heaving and vaso vagal horribleness. Luckily I was with my partner who was really calm and reassuring. It was a really horrible and scary experience.
Things I have learnt... Don't eat cheese in oil, I think it might have been the fat, don't drink too soon after eating (It was only water by the way). It was such a small amount of cheese with quite a devestating effect. I think I am learning fast
about taking new foods slowly.
So anyway after this episode I realised that I was feeling really anxious about if it ever happened again, and luckily had a therapy appointment this morning. I can't tell you how much it helped to talk through those fears with someone. My therapist really helped me to put it into perspective and make some plans around that fear, like trying new foods at home, seeing it for what it was etc. I did do some anxious sobbing!
Overall I do feel heaps better about it now wheras this morning I was very teary.
I think it is good to talk to someone if these things ever happen so that you don't get too caught up in the anxiety. Onward :-)

Submit "Dumping Syndrome" to Digg Submit "Dumping Syndrome" to del.icio.us Submit "Dumping Syndrome" to StumbleUpon Submit "Dumping Syndrome" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

You had 1 cracker? Why do you think it had such a bad effect on you? Is this normal? How long has it been since your surgery?
    Ps... I don't want to frighten anyone with this as I'm sure it was a one off and an unusual experience. But don't eat the feta in oil!!! Even if it's from a beautiful deli! Bad choices sometimes give bad results!
    Yes, I'm 3 weeks out and allowed this particular cracker, to be honest i think it was the cheese because it was one of those that are kept in oil. I think it's unusual!!
    I had that happen like twice in the beginning. It is not super common with sleevers. It is more common in bypass patients. But some sleevers do get dumping syndrome when they eat something that does not agree with them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Christie13
    I had that happen like twice in the beginning. It is not super common with sleevers. It is more common in bypass patients. But some sleevers do get dumping syndrome when they eat something that does not agree with them.
    Yea I think it's unusual Christie but I'm not keen on it happening again for sure :-s
    I had something similar. I made it thru Thanksgiving but my son baked 2 pies that I know from past experience are so delicious. One piece was still left in the frig and I was feeling sorry for myself that all my family was gone so I took about 2 T of the apple pie with a little bit of whipped cream on top. Chewed it to mush (I'm on pureed) and about an hour later had terrible diarrhea. Not all the other stuff, but it felt like food poisoning. I think it was a combo of the sugar and the dairy. I had tried some cottage cheese in my first week and had some terrible gas. I was borderline lactose intolerant pre-op so looks like I'm full on intolerant now. And I should have known better than to eat sweet anything. Lesson learned. I look at sweets now and they look very unappealing. (For someone with a huge sweet addiction, that's a good thing.) Live and learn is my mantra now.
    Quote Originally Posted by DHB
    I had something similar. I made it thru Thanksgiving but my son baked 2 pies that I know from past experience are so delicious. One piece was still left in the frig and I was feeling sorry for myself that all my family was gone so I took about 2 T of the apple pie with a little bit of whipped cream on top. Chewed it to mush (I'm on pureed) and about an hour later had terrible diarrhea. Not all the other stuff, but it felt like food poisoning. I think it was a combo of the sugar and the dairy. I had tried some cottage cheese in my first week and had some terrible gas. I was borderline lactose intolerant pre-op so looks like I'm full on intolerant now. And I should have known better than to eat sweet anything. Lesson learned. I look at sweets now and they look very unappealing. (For someone with a huge sweet addiction, that's a good thing.) Live and learn is my mantra now.
    Yes it's a learning time for sure Dale x
    You take care Stacey! I need my bud to be there for me and everyone else on the site, lol.

I've been told by the dietitian that I've to drink either 30 minutes before a meal or 30 minutes after. Not to eat and drink together. Don't know if that happened but as you said, the cheese
    in oil was probably too rich. Please be careful!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeanious
    You take care Stacey! I need my bud to be there for me and everyone else on the site, lol.

I've been told by the dietitian that I've to drink either 30 minutes before a meal or 30 minutes after. Not to eat and drink together. Don't know if that happened but as you said, the cheese
    in oil was probably too rich. Please be careful!
    Yes i think I drank too quickly too!!! Yikes!!! Lessons!!!
    I had a similar experience a few weeks ago when I was out with my family. They all wanted to get burgers and french fries, which I was fine with, I got a small cup of chili without beans. When it came I immediately thought it was way too oily, but I was really hungry so I ate (some of) it anyway.
    I should've listened to my gut. I felt gross and ill pretty much straightaway and within a few hours I'd been sick and it had all come up. I thought having beans in it would've been the problem because of the carbs they contain, so ordered it without beans, but it was the fat that caused me to be sick.

Anyway, lesson learned for the both of us - no more oily food!
    Quote Originally Posted by BlueUmbrella
    I had a similar experience a few weeks ago when I was out with my family. They all wanted to get burgers and french fries, which I was fine with, I got a small cup of chili without beans. When it came I immediately thought it was way too oily, but I was really hungry so I ate (some of) it anyway.
    I should've listened to my gut. I felt gross and ill pretty much straightaway and within a few hours I'd been sick and it had all come up. I thought having beans in it would've been the problem because of the carbs they contain, so ordered it without beans, but it was the fat that caused me to be sick.

Anyway, lesson learned for the both of us - no more oily food!
    Oh poor you, it's horrible isn't it. We shall avoid the oil!!! Yes! xx