Surgeon
    Houston
    Last Activity
    04-19-2022 07:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 238 Times in 105 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

Default SOme thoughts about LIFE, 4.3 months post op

I am NOT an old timer, I am not a overly experienced sleever, but I feel successful, and despite a world of challenges, I feel good about THIS part of life.... let me explain....

Like all of us I struggled with weight, studied this surgery 47 ways to Sunday, and decided to have it done in the best way for ME.

I am a CPA, I own a large firm, 15 employees, timing was a big deal to me, I was self pay in US Hospital, $18K, money was not the issue, timing was. So I had surgery 12/22, right before tax season, I was assured I could hit the ground in January and be okay.

A few days after surgery, I was okay. Sure, first few days sucked. Its is major surgery. Could not expect less.

Then the weight fell off. For a while. Then the stalls hit, for a while.

Then tax season really started cranking, 14 hour days, 9.5 days a week, I managed.

Then two weeks before tax season ended, Dad has to go to Vanderbilt Psych ward, been fighting dementia and paranoia, forth time in such a place. Week later Mom goes into local hospital, stroke, bleeding ulcer, blood sugar at 600, calls me and when I get there fights me calling an ambulance. Go figure. My family stuff not so good, I am like the kid who is trying to fight genetics and culture to break out.

So for the last month I been going 15 hours a day. Two younger brothers, one god one, one bad one, good one and I working to get parents in a better spot, bad one getting day pass from rehab (spent 80% of his adult life in prison or jail) and manipulating situation to steal from parents. Get them in rehab, get them to doc apts, get them in assisted living, get them moved, fight them not liking never being able to move home again, get mom to wound care, fight Dad hating nursing home were we have to park him while we try to get mom healthy enough to be his caregiver again, fight youngest brother playing emotional card everywhere and happens to be co-dependent with mom on his emotional behaviors.

In this, I am trying to run a $2mm/year professional services company that is growing at 30% a year. One key player out with heart attack, one out with stroke, my personal assistant's (work wife) mom get infection in jaw bone and spends a week in Vanderbilt ICU (Vanderbilt is 2 hours a way) over a bad dental visit. Another key player has this issues, then that issues, my rock solid team is having health issues like no one could ever imagine....

So guess what, I am not that worries about my stalls.....

Some how during all this, another 20 lbs down.

I am going to the assisted living and eating meals with parents frequently.... eat protein first... always a choice, salad or cottage cheese and fruit first. I make a good choice. Meal comes, I make a wise choice. I drink protein shake for breakfast. I get cravings for something sweet, I get 3 or 4 peanut M&M's. yal, I am cheating, screw anyone who criticizes me. In fact, I might do it twice a day.

I have ignored doctors orders, ignored paying attention, blown off all this stuff with exception of a very few basic rules:
    Work out daily, I need the stress relief
    Drink a LOT of water, I get 120 oz a day, I think I burn a lot of calories running to bathroom
    Eat protein first
    Make smart choices
    Take vitamins

That is it, its all I am doing, had fried catfish today for lunch, its what assisted living cooked and I needed to have lunch with parents to get nurses there set up to change dressing on mom's toe. And I put on size 33" pants today. Yep they are to tight, I am not there yet, 34" are a BIT loose, but I'll get there.

So if you want to whine about your stall, get the fk over it, and get on about your life. This too shall pass. Life is to short to whine about unimportant stuff. Right now, I am celebrating I can take off a size 36" pair of Levis with them buttons by just sliding them off my not so fat ass.

And that, is enough for me to celebrate today.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

Default Re: SOme thoughts about LIFE, 4.3 months post op

You deserve to celebrate your fabulous weight loss! Congratulations!
    Hope the situation with your parents becomes easier for you to manage. You sound like you're juggling many things. Although it hasn't affected your weight loss....always a GOOD thing!

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

Gastric Sleeve Member BayouDarlin's Avatar
    Name
    Dawn
    Surgeon
    Dr. Todd Belott
    Last Activity
    01-28-2018 06:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 20 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

I pray for your family and you Parents that yall have the strength to handle everything that is thrown at you. Congrats on your weight loss, you and I are only days apart, I was 12-26-14. Each day is a struggle and I agree, I too will have a lil sweet treat if I want, it is just satisfying, not indulging in it.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

I hear you, bro. Congratulations.

Life is what happens while we're making plans.

Onward and upward. The alternative sucks.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Name
    cathi
    Surgery date
    03/05/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Rantis
    Last Activity
    05-30-2021 01:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 141 Times
    Was Thanked 506 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 363 Times
    Blog Entries

what a realistic post...thank you for your honesty..my parents have passed, but i remember that time so well..the battles, the bad brother..yep..i remember all of it..but i didnt have the sleeve..that was when i ate to comfort myself..
    the fact that you are doing so well..well..that is what this is all about..congrats...so great you are working out too...
    our thoughts and prayers are with you during this time...

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    11/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Andrew Bright
    Last Activity
    12-29-2015 02:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 57 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 55 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

Congrats on keeping it together and not losing your mind !
    Honk if you want to see my finger !!

Surgery date
    12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Houston
    Last Activity
    04-19-2022 07:04 AM
    Said "Thanks" 31 Times
    Was Thanked 238 Times in 105 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 17 Times

Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. Ann and Lee, you have been in my thoughts more than you know. I have been absent around here much of late, not by design, just by al I can do.

But really, this thing just seems to work. Goals seem to be coming along. Damn... I wore those size 33" jeans tonight, I was in size 40" after losing a bunch pre-op. Goal is not weight, its size 32", which is what I wore when I was running in and out of Kuwait and Iraq in first gulf war. WOW, during all this hell, when I can not focus on diet and tracking and workout and my trainer and all that jazz I been paying so much attention to for so long, things still still working. WOW, just wow....

I can fret about stuff, I am not getting as much protein in as I would like, I fear losing to much muscle. But I measure body fat each friday, or Monday, depending on of life lets me, and while weight drops, body fat drops faster, so I guess I am okay. I could do BETTER. I know that.

But the last guy who could not do BETTER was put on a cross some 2000 years ago, not sure I want to hold myself to that standard, so I think I will hold myself to this one. So I am okay.

I put on two Friends of NRA events a year, mine are late in the year. If anyone is an anti-gun nut drop off now, I do not want to hear it. You are wrong I am right, get over it.

Anyway, my buddies committee had their event tonight put on their event. I went and took a great client. I bought a safari in South Africa, for 4 really, really cheap. Plus a few fire arms, ate some BBQ chicken, not much of course, we all know none of us can eat much. No one noticed, or cared how much I ate. I drank a LOT of unsweet tea. Ate two hershey's kisses :-) Screw anyone who begrudges me that. Bought a flower thingie for Mom''s apartment door, something for Dad's wall, another couple of guns, who knows where I will put them, Was a GREAT stress relief

Those size 33" jeans fit better by the end of the evening than the beginning. Sure they stretched, but they are THIRTY THREES! And I still weight 213lbs! My buddies who weight 170 are wearing 34" or 36". That goal of 32" jeans is SOOOO close..... I love my buddies, never disparage, but I do benchmark....

Tomorrow I will go to lunch at assisted living place with mom and dad, its REALLY nice, big Mothers Day Lunch. I'll eat whatever they prepare. I'll just make smart choices. Cottage cheese and fruit instead of garden salad. ON the meal, protein salad, eat slow, small bites, chew well, protein first, stop when I am full, drink early, and after meal, but not during. Follow orders and forget thinking about it, got too many crisis to think about it.

And it will be okay, I will eat a bite or two of desert, it will be okay. I'll still lose over time. I might stall. If I could manage the stall, which I can't, I could bust it, but I can't. So I will ignore it, and I will still lose.

And in losing, I am winning. And that is enough. I am blessed

10. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    04/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elias Ortiz
    Last Activity
    02-20-2024 01:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 206 Times
    Was Thanked 504 Times in 372 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 231 Times

Numbers, thanks for the update. You''re an inspiration on many levels. Congratulations to you for all of your successes and milestones! And if anyone gives you pain for being yourself....I know jealousy when I see it!

"Lee, by "own it!" your daughter means that you should be proud of your accomplishment and understand that you deserve this. Not because you have to pay it forward or backward to justify your own benefits. She means that this is YOUR accomplishment, and accomplishing that for yourself is enough. You do not have to fix everybody. And you do not owe anyone for the benefits you have earned. They are YOURS!" Ann2

Gastric Sleeve Member pattersonviv's Avatar
    Name
    Viv
    Surgery date
    12/11/2014
    Surgeon
    Grant Coulter
    Last Activity
    09-18-2017 02:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 25 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Numbers
    I also like the reality of your post. I am not on here as often as I was as I guess life just takes over. I understand the pressure of running a business and trying to make positive changes. I'm not 100% successful either but like you the changes are happening, not fast but the weight keeps trending down. Tinman would commend you on your approach to eating, I notice you are sensitive to being judged for it but each to their own and it sounds like your plan is working for you. All the best for getting into 32s.

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Butch
    Surgery date
    11/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Craig Floch
    Last Activity
    10-05-2020 07:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Keep strong, you are doing a great job!

NRA lifer here. 1911 guy since my teens.. Carry on!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    02/17/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-18-2015 07:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts

You Rock!!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    05/27/2015
    Surgeon
    Eric Valladares
    Last Activity
    07-03-2015 02:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 47 Times
    Blog Entries

Bless U -- had only 1 parent in nursing home and I went bonkers-- U r a strong , awesome slim individual - KUDOS

Surgery date
    03/22/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lyass
    Last Activity
    09-08-2015 02:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 13 Times
    Was Thanked 104 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,803 Times

Thank you thank you for saying what many of us are thinking! Stalls are a guarantee with this procedure. We've read countless posts about it and our doctors told us, and told us and told us. It's not news people. They happen! But you get through them. It does NOT mean the surgery isn't working. Stop worrying the stalls and take it from me when you're 2 years post op you'll be worrying about maintaining your new weight and that's not a temporary thing!

1 month post op 04/22/2013 - 232
    6 month post op 09/22/2013 - 176
    ONE YEAR SURGIVERSARY!!!! 03/22/2014 - 151

Surgery date
    01/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Eric Mallico
    Last Activity
    07-10-2015 03:08 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 22 Posts

I'm so very sorry for the many difficulties you're facing in you personal and professional life. You're being the right kind of man, though, by giving your time and so much energy to your mother and dad. Your weight loss is nothing short of spectacular, and I'm so happy you can get into those jeans! I've got a dress hanging in my closet I'm hoping to get back into someday! You're keeping my spirits up!

Name
    Tomi
    Surgery date
    06/23/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Matthew R Crouthamel
    Last Activity
    09-27-2017 05:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 283 Times
    Was Thanked 216 Times in 119 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 40 Times

Numbers! Good to hear from you again. You were the first poster on this forum whose posts I ever read, and I've been following your journey closely, albeit, from more behind the scenes. Congratulations on your successes, for taking care of your business, your family, your friends, and all the things that are important in your life, but namely, yourself during some trying times. Thank you for the candor. Your honesty is appreciated and it's good to have you and your posts back! Hugs to you!

20. Said thanks:

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast