10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Serious trouble sleeping...any advice?

I have for weeks now had the worst time sleeping and tend to sleep one night, and then stay up the very next night 24-36 hours consistently. I am talking to the point where I could easily take 8 Tylenol simply sleeps and they have NO effect on me at all. Now I fully realize that much of this due to the amount of stress I have under for a while now. The bottom line is that I am stressed out by many things, but the main contributing factors are ones that I literally cannot avoid of remove myself from at this particular point in time, and due to an injury I am unable to work out at the moment. I don't really know what I am asking for here...I have tried medications, better sleep habits, stretching, focus on stress relief or meditation (even though I really don't don't hold much faith in it), prayed about this...although sometimes I feel like God might be scanning my calls...and hitting the ignore button.

The worst part for me is that I KNOW this is effecting my weight loss, and I can feel the type of depression that I have not dealt with in many many years creeping back in slowly.

I have had many conversations with the immediate source, the close family members, and I feel as though my pleas and explanations on what this is doing to me, is met with that careless "toughen up pup" speech, or ignored completely.

I came from a family where bluntly expressing our issues with each other was a way of life...my current situation it is not...and that is SO frustrating to me.

Anyway, maybe I am just throwing a pity party, had a shitty day of just need a few words of encourage to keep me going. Thanks for listening, and I will appreciate any responses that this thread gets.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/17/2014
    Surgeon
    James B Wooldridge Jr
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 72 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 131 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Serious trouble sleeping...any advice?

This might be as fruitless but what about herbal remedies, like tea? Several brands make herbal "Sleepy time" teas and chamomile is another that might help you wind down enough to try sleep. Personally I don't trust the sleeping pills, it's too easy to build up an immunity and what sleep you do get isn't wholesome.

That aside I'm very sorry you're experiencing this and the stress that's causing it. I can relate. Not that many years ago I would get so stressed out about life issues that I would stay up until dawn or even the next afternoon, sleep 4-6 hours, and be up again. It wasn't until I got some medication adjustments and worked on what was causing these nights that I started to sleep better. I hope you can find the relief you need and get that sleep!

4. Said thanks:

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sarasjourney View Post
    This might be as fruitless but what about herbal remedies, like tea? Several brands make herbal "Sleepy time" teas and chamomile is another that might help you wind down enough to try sleep. Personally I don't trust the sleeping pills, it's too easy to build up an immunity and what sleep you do get isn't wholesome.

That aside I'm very sorry you're experiencing this and the stress that's causing it. I can relate. Not that many years ago I would get so stressed out about life issues that I would stay up until dawn or even the next afternoon, sleep 4-6 hours, and be up again. It wasn't until I got some medication adjustments and worked on what was causing these nights that I started to sleep better. I hope you can find the relief you need and get that sleep!
    Thank you got suggestion and kind words ...at this point I will try anything to help with this problem.Thank you for your response!!! Truly!!!

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Linda
    Surgeon
    Dr. Greenlee
    Last Activity
    06-28-2016 03:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I constantly have problems sleeping. My doctor told me to take Melatonin. It is a hormone that your body makes naturally at night to make you sleep. I have been bumped to 10 mg because my body does not produce it. You can get it any health store or Walmart. I would start with trying 5 mg or less to start with. It is not the same as taking sleeping pills. This is something that your body produces or should produce. Good luck!

Name
    Charletta
    Surgeon
    N/A
    Last Activity
    11-27-2015 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 117 Times in 111 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,045 Times
    Blog Entries

For as long as I can remember, I fall asleep fine. Wake up at like 2:00am and then can't fall back asleep until 4:00ish, my hubby gets up at 4:30 to get ready for work. This leads to exhaustion and depression. Melatonin works well for me.

Sorry you're having troubles. Hope you get some rest soon.

She thought she could......so she did!

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm a fan of Ambien. Am not using it much at the moment, but when I need it, boy does it work well for me.

I take half of a 10 mg. tablet, which is the recommended dose for women.

For people whose sleep has become disrupted, Ambien should be used for one week. At the end of that week, the plan / theory is that your body will again be accustomed to sleeping 7-8 hours a night.

That's all I got.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I can relate, we can have a pity party together! I have been working with my doctor for at least 5 years, tried numerous medications, nothing helps. I had a sleep study, no sleep apnea, but I woke up 49 times. I now take ambian (not sure how to spell that!) timed release, and it gives me three solid hours of sleep. That's it, but it's much better than nothing. It is depressing, and I'm always tired at work.

On the plus side, I am regular weight, so I am a tired regular-sized person. That's better than a tired fat person.

Surgery date
    07/15/2014
    Surgeon
    Ramiro Sonny Cavazos
    Last Activity
    02-12-2018 10:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 44 Times
    Was Thanked 128 Times in 127 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 93 Times
    Blog Entries

I gave my son Melatonin. It worked like a charm. The Sleepy Time teas worked for me also. Everytime I woke up I tried to remember what was the first thing that came to mind. Then I realized that was my stress and I attempted to fix it. Have you been tested for sleep apnea?

Surgery date
    01/03/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alex Gandsas
    Last Activity
    11-08-2015 08:53 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 34 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

My son has ADD. The medicine makes him my hyped up. He couldn't fall asleep at night. The pediatrician recommended Melatonin. It helps him sleep. Maybe it will work for you.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Last Activity
    05-26-2016 08:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 304 Times in 287 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

I have trouble too without some sort of sleep aid. I use ambien (which knocks me out) or unisom (doxylamine succinate), which is definitely stronger than benedryl, which is what simply sleep is made of. Being able to turn your mind off and relax definitely helps in the process of falling asleep and is the main issue I have. I can preach to relax and shut everything out at night when you are laying down, but I am not very good at actually doing it. As far as melatonin, it had no effect on me or anyone else I know that has tried it. And my dad is just as unfeeling when it comes to falling asleep. Has the same attitude your family has. But he has never had trouble falling asleep ever. Must be nice.

8/14/13 - 279 Pre-Op
    8/28/13 - 265 Surgery
    9/28/13 - 235
    10/28/13 - 218
    11/28/13 - 209
    12/28/13 - 198
    01/16/14 - 195

Blood Sugar 140 with metformin before surgery, 80 with no meds after surgery
    Blood Pressure 145/90 before and 110/70 after

Surgery date
    12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Duffy
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 313 Times in 256 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 270 Times
    Blog Entries

I would be careful with Tylenol. I've heard that you should never take more than the recommended dosage. I think it messes up your liver (not sure) I don't ever take it - it really doesn't work for me.
    Good luck with your sleep.

Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

Tylenol is not an NSAID, but I don't know about the other ingredients.
    Is 8 tablets below the maximum recommended daily dosage?
    Speak to your PCP.

I don't know what to say about those stresses you can not avoid. Those definitely will affect your sleep amongst other things.
    Can you try to relax a little while before bed time, try to avoid the people or situations that cause you this stress as it approaches bed time and do something relaxing leading up to it?

I am sorry you are going through this and hope you resolve it soon.
    You don't deserve this.

Avoid old habits if you stress eat (my old nemesis). Also, I found that when I am tired, I use to gravitate towards food.

If all else fails, watch CSPAN.

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

Surgery date
    12/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Duffy
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 313 Times in 256 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 270 Times
    Blog Entries

Right, Tylenol is not an NSAID

Gastric Sleeve Member Joe Poppa's Avatar
    Name
    Scott
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Last Activity
    09-04-2015 06:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 660 Times
    Was Thanked 525 Times in 357 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,023 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Poppa View Post
    Tylenol is not an NSAID, but I don't know about the other ingredients.
    Is 8 tablets below the maximum recommended daily dosage?
    Even though Tylenol (Acetaminophen) by itself, shouldn't cause ulcers in the long run like an NSAID could, as pointed out, it could possibly affect your liver over the long term.

Here's a link to Tylenol's website. It is kind of fluff, probably a PR reaction to the (FDA?) report.
    https://www.tylenol.com/safety-dosin.../liver-disease

Inside some of us is a thin person struggling to get out, but they can usually be sedated with a few pieces of chocolate cake.

Gastric Sleeve Member Bufflehead's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. K. Robert Williams
    Last Activity
    08-14-2017 02:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 180 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 44 Times

Here's a summary of the advice my sister (she's a doc) tells me she gives her patients with problems sleeping:

--no illuminated screen time of any sort for an hour before bedtime. No tv, no movies, no computer, no tablet. It is okay to talk on your phone but not text/look at your phone.
    --don't use your bedroom for anything but sleeping, sex, or reading.
    --don't keep your phone or tablet near your bed. They should be well out of reach.
    --take a hot bath or shower about 30 minutes before you plan to go to bed.
    --a couple of hours before bed, write yourself a to-do list for the next day. Then you have a plan of action for the future, and will be less likely to lie awake stressing about what might happen. If you do find yourself worrying about the future when you are trying to go to sleep, remind yourself that you have your to-do list and can look at it and move forward tomorrow.
    --no vigorous exercise, alcohol, or super spicy foods within 2 hours of bedtime.
    --don't stress out if you are in bed and not falling asleep. Just lie there peacefully with your eyes closed and the lights off. Although not quite as good as sleep, this type of calm resting is very good for you and will make up for some of the sleep you are missing.
    --if you can, have the big O (sorry for the blunt talk -- or as blunt as I can be without the site censorware possibly kicking in) right before you try to fall asleep. This helps a lot of people fall asleep quickly!
    --if you wake up in the night, you can get up and use the bathroom, get a glass of water, etc., but don't do anything involving an illuminated screen. Just take care of your immediate needs and then go back to bed.
    Good luck!