Dr. J. Loggins
    Last Activity
    05-24-2015 05:55 PM
    A small Hamlet nestled in the foothills of the White Mountains
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times

Exclamation i'm in trouble

I am 10 months out= I went from 232 to 176. Have not lost in 2 months now I have stopped regular exercise ...I find myself grazing and am up 4 pounds...what the heck is wrong in my head to think this is going to end well????

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    11/17/2014
    Surgeon
    James B Wooldridge Jr
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 72 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 131 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: i'm in trouble

Calm down, this can be fixed. Is there a reason you stopped exercising? That might be part of your problem. The 4lbs is not a big deal so long as you don't let it progress. You've realized there's a problem, so now's the time to start doing something about it to get back on track. Get all the snack food and any junk food you may have out the house. Set meal times if you have to in order to keep your food intake in check and don't eat before or after these times even if you "feel" hungry. Drink your water to keep your tummy full between meals.

The point is we all slip up, doesn't matter how far along we are. But like I said, the point is you realize you're doing wrong and you need to fix something and that's a good start.

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Jenn
    Surgery date
    10/26/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alan Wittgrove
    Last Activity
    01-02-2020 02:55 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9,745 Times
    Blog Entries

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((HUGS)))))))))))))))))) )))))))))))))))))))))))))))), don't let this stop you, we all do make mistakes. Look at it this ways, you could have gained 4 lbs of muscle..... Look upwards not backwards.......if you are loosing in your sizes then good. just slowly get back on track and YOU CAN DO IT, we are here for you....

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/28/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Last Activity
    05-26-2016 08:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 304 Times in 287 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 74 Times

It only ends badly if you let it. Unlike when you were at your zenith and it was a long way down to goal, you aren't far from the promised land. Put a halt to all the bad habits now, develop an eating and exercise plan, use a tool like my fitness pal to document diet and exercise to help you stay on top of it, drink plenty of fluid and get your protein in. And you can get where you want to go. The biggest problem in all likelihood is the same thing we all face - the surgery fixed our tummies, not our minds. It basically gave all of us a chance to restart by restricting calories severely for us in the earlier stages to where we lose rapidly but after that its on us to develop new habits and ways that are conducive to maintaining a healthy weight. I implore you to use all of your strength to change it now before you find yourself behind the eight ball as a few others on here have reported doing. But even if you are successful, you have to work on the psychological part to ensure long term success. That is the hardest part of this and its why most here got in trouble weight wise to begin with (not all mind you, but many). I wish you the best and really hope you can get it worked out.

8/14/13 - 279 Pre-Op
    8/28/13 - 265 Surgery
    9/28/13 - 235
    10/28/13 - 218
    11/28/13 - 209
    12/28/13 - 198
    01/16/14 - 195

Blood Sugar 140 with metformin before surgery, 80 with no meds after surgery
    Blood Pressure 145/90 before and 110/70 after

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member butterfly2013's Avatar
    Name
    Carrie
    Surgery date
    12/09/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Choi, IU Health
    Last Activity
    11-18-2014 09:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

I've had the same trouble last few months and I'm 11 months post-op. I didn't loose for 2 months + gained 10lbs. Today is my first day to track my food again and your message was first on screen. I was glad you posted so I know these episodes do happen to other people even after surgery. (I really thought there was no way I could gain weight quickly again after surgery even though classes & DR said it's possible...well it's true) I got slack on measuring my food and just eyeballing it and I'm sure I prob under estimated calories and protein. I stopped tracking my food daily so I didn't know exactly how much protein I actually ate. And also stopped exercising 4 x a week and just went once or not at all. On top of all that, I had left over Halloween candy and snacked on "mini size" candy here and there. Never counted calories but I bet it was a a lot. Then I said what is wrong because I can't eat much food so I've got to continue to loose weight. But, I was wrong after A quick call to my dietician at DR office and after talking, I realized that I still need to track & measure all food daily (making sure you are getting 60-80g protein), drink 64oz water + exercising at least 3x a week. It sounds like simple ideas but hard to implement daily and correctly.
    Just take inventory on what issue is making you not exercise like time, cold weather, motivation etc. and try to solve....even just exercise 10 mins 3x a day which will equal 30 mins at the end of the day. With your food, make sure you are getting enough protein and don't graze. Even if you are eating little calories and not getting enough protein your body won't loose weight it needs protein to burn calories and build muscle. I think if you (and me) just go back to the basics: track, measure, protein, water, vitamins, exercise that you will start loosing weight again. You will feel better physically and emotionally. Good Luck.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

It's a learning process, our sleeves are permanent but still just a tool to be used properly. I am learning still & have a lot of room for improvement. So learn from this, you are already on the road to making changes you need to when you realize something isn't working & needs to be tweaked.

You've come this far so you can do this. Do your exercise but try to find something you enjoy doing. I know I have a hard enough time motivating myself to go to my dance classes. But I love dance, just getting there is the part I struggle with. I'd never be able to do it consistently if I was having to do an activity I hated, like working out on gym equipment or other stuff that has no joy in it for me. It makes it less of a struggle if there is at least something in the activity itself you find enjoyable.

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Justine
    Surgery date
    12/04/2014
    Surgeon
    Blair Bowden
    Last Activity
    06-08-2015 04:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 10 Times

You have done so well, and you have probably become so complacent..... Look at your graph. You are soooooo close to the goal you've been working for!
    “I don't know much about being a millionaire, but I'll bet I'd be darling at it.” [/SIZE]
    ― Dorothy Parker

15. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. J. Loggins
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times

Thank you -

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. J. Loggins
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times

Thank you everyone- this is a weird place -last year at this time I was waiting for my date- I have done well- I just have found myself in a weird place the last month or so- I am grateful for your kind words of encouragement

Name
    Penny
    Surgery date
    12/27/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Keith Boone
    Last Activity
    02-29-2016 07:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 36 Times in 32 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 31 Times
    Blog Entries

I am in the same boat, and as a matter of fact I just posted (a much lengthier) version of what you posted - I guess we can gather from this that its not uncommon. It is common to gain the weight back. Statistically, more people will fail than will success long-term.

I want to succeed. I have decided to re-group and move forward. Change your diet, your mind-set, or whatever you can (honestly) see where you are faltering. I know what happened with me...I started with junk food, stopped exercising, stopped tracking/counting calories.

I hope you get yourself back where you feel good about yourself, your progress, your choices. We are only 10 months into this...we can't give-in/throw in the towel already! I wish you the best!

19. Said thanks:

Banned
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by NanaK View Post
    I am 10 months out= I went from 232 to 176. Have not lost in 2 months now I have stopped regular exercise ...I find myself grazing and am up 4 pounds...what the heck is wrong in my head to think this is going to end well????
    Ok, let me help you out here. I had surgery in Oct. of 2012, for the longest time I put virtually no effort into my weight loss. I went from 235 to 170, and held there for the longest time because I was too busy with work, raising my kid, doing meetings, etc. etc. etc....any excuse I could convince myself of so that I didn't have to exert effort towards my goal. I did this off and on from Oct. 2012 until Feb 2014...I maybe worked out 5 times during that time period...well over your 10 months. In Feb of this year my family relocated to a smaller town from Las Vegas...and one day i woke up and just realized I didn't have this surgery to end up at 170 lbs...screw that!

That day I joined a gym, and started working with a personal trainer. I wasn't a gym rat, I worked with him once a week for an hour, and then did about 2 hour classes in that same week...so 3 hours a week I worked out. I worked on my eating habits, and started tracking everything again. Despite the fact that I had utterly failed my sleeve, my sleeve was not going to fail me if I used it right. Despite that I had abused it for many months, once I started putting in my part of the effort I went on to lose 20 more lbs, and many inches.

Don't waste your time convincing yourself that just because you are ten months out you have lost, and your journey is over...its not...just figure out how to get yourself vamped back up and start pulling your part again. You don't have to settle for your current weight, or the weight that you see yourself gaining back...you just have to choose you are ready to get back on the band wagon and do something about it.

21. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member thenewmetoday's Avatar
    Name
    joanne
    Surgery date
    04/17/2012
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    10-30-2017 03:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 445 Times
    Was Thanked 309 Times in 215 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,313 Times
    Blog Entries

I have an 18 year old grandson, out of high school for 1 year still working at his part time job at Toys Are Us and no idea of where he will go from here. My feeling about this is that he is scared of having to grow up and get on with his adult life. Your situation may be similar, it can be scary when you get close to goal and have to look at a adjusting to the new reality, a reality that has not been experienced for a long time or maybe even never. Take it slow, give yourself space to adjust, keep an eye on what you may be doing to get in the way of your goal. Good luck ps I speak from experience.

23. Said thanks:

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries