Surgery date
    01/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Question How to Keep Losing?

We had the surgery. We have changed our diet. We exercise regular. We have lost a good chunk of weight.

Now how do we keep losing?

I am 9 months out. Have lost just a lil over 100 lbs. Down from a size 26 to a size 12.

Sounds perfect, huh?

Well I am still trying to lose that last 10 lbs. I walk, jog, ride my bike, yoga, core exercises. I watch my fat content, avoid starches, lower sugar intake, focus on protein, take my vitamins. But I do not lose anymore. I do see the difference. I do also see the skin that jiggles, stretches, puckers all around my tummy, thighs, arms and neck.

I just want so bad to make it a lil bit more polished. I just want so bad to be at a healthy BMI (not one that still says I am overweight). I just want so bad to make my goal.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How to Keep Losing?

Lynette,

I am NO expert. And I'm a newb, compared to you.

But I've seen so many posts here by folks who just kept keeping on. They lost 1-2 pounds a month. They went two months stalled, and then lost. (See this recent post at:

http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/a...tml#post472937

I think you just keep doing what worked for you before -- while you acknowledge that it's going to come off much slower than before.

There's a guy here named Tinman who figured out special mojo for himself. You can explore his posts at:

http://www.gastricsleeve.com/forum/s...earchid=682153

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Kelly
    Surgery date
    02/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Rivera
    Last Activity
    11-22-2016 05:54 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 100 Times in 74 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 48 Times

Have you tried to weight train?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times

I have two small sets of hand weights here as well as resistance bands. I live in a very tiny town that does not have a good place for me to go to for instruction in weight training. Thus do what I can on my own with my knowledge. Been doing different YouTube videos here as well as my Wii and then continued on with my daily walks, bike rides and jogs. I put in eight to fifteen miles a day this way. Honestly going all I can all the time.

Gastric Sleeve Member thinmeskreamin's Avatar
    Surgery date
    02/06/2014
    Surgeon
    dr Alejandro Lopez
    Last Activity
    02-19-2015 10:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 31 Times

It's tough to know. You could be eating too lean. If you Google fat and weight loss there's a correlation between eating certain fats in order to loose. look also intosome of the research done on those thatcycle the diet with high cals. One day very low , seams to shake things up. We know eating more carbs if u been very low for a long time. Or adding a little sugar if you've been sf wtc can break a stall. Don't know all the reasons our bodies refuse to release those pounds , but it does get stubborn. At 7-5 mos out and it has slowed . Took since July 4 to loose 18 lbs this week has been good. Went back to basics. Been allowing sliders in . Realized how many cals I was getting from bbq sauce, salad dressing, that half bag of popcorn I ate because it doesn't make me feeel full , a bite extra here or there I didn't need "tasting"things I am trying to avoid and alcohol. Dropped 2+ lbs.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Lynette,

I read another post here (although I'm sure I could never find it again) about a guy who around month 7 or so stopped losing. A few months later, he got up off the couch and said, "Screw it, I'm going to lose the rest of this weight!" So for the next 3 months he did EVERYTHING right -- ate right, worked out like a banshee, etc., but lost not a single ounce. Then during the fourth month of his recommitted effort, when he continued doing everything he'd been doing for 3 months, he lost ... wait for it ... 40 pounds!

These bodies of ours are just strange critters. They refuse to do what we tell them to at the pace we want them to do it. And then, bam! They finally reward us.

I still think persistence has GOT to be hugely important to our long-term success. We've all been so badly disappointed in the past and discouraged. Our go-to response is to say, "F*** it!" As we know, that way lies perdition!

I spent my life dieting for goals and "finish lines." These concepts are dangerous and seductive. They imply that at some point we are "done." But, as we know, there is no finish line for this race. It just continues.

(I'll shut up now.)

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

11. Said thanks:

Name
    Akea
    Surgery date
    10/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Brennan Carmody
    Last Activity
    07-15-2016 07:57 AM
    Said "Thanks" 122 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 17 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 131 Times

From what I've learned, a good balance of cardio and strength training will help tone and loose. Protein and muscle building tones and builds muscle thus causing weight loss. It sounds like you are doing a lot of cardio.

No one is more youer than you! -Dr. Suess

HW: 232lbs.
    1st preop surgeon consultation: 230lbs
    Post Preop diet: 219 lbs
    1st post op appt.: 206lbs 11/12/14 (-13lbs)
    2nd post op appt.: 204 lbs 11/25/14 (-15lbs)
    3rd post op appt.: 200 lbs 12/10/14 (-19lbs)
    3 month post op appt: tba 1/21/2015

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times

Your right I am doing more cardio. Trying to learn on my own on how to build muscle once again. Guess to be honest cardio is easier...right. Small town without the added benefit of a group to train with. But I am trying to learn, do and continue on. Know I am healthier than I ever was so that is amazing in itself.

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

Hi Lynette

There comes a point in time in each of our journeys where the same old routine does not work anymore. I got stuck in a slimy, sticky, absolutely mind numbing stall for two months. I finally decided to change everything up and came up with a plan. The first plan did not work, nor did the second or fifth or sixth. I finally hit upon the combination of diet, hydration, supplements and exercise that kicked me into overdrive. I lost as much weight in the next 4 months (120 lbs) than I did in the first 10 (130 lbs). Also, I never stalled again. Not even a little one. The scale dropped every single day for me until I got to where I wanted to go. Then I took a look at myself and decided to drop another 20 and did that in about three weeks.

The key for me was to understand that my body doesn't care how I wanted to eat. It only cares about getting what it wants when it wants. So, take advantage of that knowledge. Now, it's also very possible that you have gotten to the point where you will be for the rest of your life. I counsel folks all of the time to change your goal if it appears that you are where your body wants to be. Remember, you are not on a diet. So, you can't be failing at a diet.

I have a lot of pages of rants and musings on my profile page. I think Ann2 referenced it earlier in this post. I can tell you that my way is but one of many ways of losing with the sleeve. It's worked for me and many others on here who reached out to me for help. In fact, it's worked so well that I am in the final stages of writing a book on how to lose weight with the sleeve. Of course, the brilliant people who follow me on here are getting for free all of the information that I intend to charge everyone else for. Really. Everything in the book is in those pages on my profile.

Also, visit Truffles page. She and I were sleeved at the same time by the same doctor in TJ. She lost her weight doing the absolute, positively, 180 degrees opposite of me. I think she did it on purpose just to prove me wrong....lol. We've remained in touch over the years and she is a freaking super star at post op life. Her profile page is also chock full of good advice. Marvinator and Little Verbena are also rock stars. Their pages are full of good stuff too. Marvinator has a very unique, calm outlook on life. I like following him. Take a little from here, there and everywhere and make a new plan.

Remember....

Make a plan, work the plan, own the results, and change as necessary.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times

Tinman,

Thanks for the motivation and the points to new and old friends. More so thanks for the pat on the back even if it was to also help me push in the right direction. I do pretty much stay motivated and moving all of the time. But there are the every now and then down days too. One of those is where I was. Maybe I am nuts but dang it the BMI chart kills me! Honestly how the heck can I be overweight if I am wearing a medium. When is medium overweight? Why does everyone have to be a small to be healthy? Okay my own lil rant there. Maybe a medium is where I am going to end up at? But at the same time, I want to do all I can to be as healthy as I can be. So continue with the mostly protein, loads of water, and keep my ass moving program for the time being. Every time I add in any real carbs from those dang white foods like breads, pasta or potatoes my weight just jumps up. So that should tell me alone that they are never going to work into my daily routine. Silly for thinking so. I do need to get in more of the veggies and fruits so I am not so dependent on vitamins for that aspect but currently at a cup to cup and a half for a meal.....there is not tons of room. I do agree I need to try and eat a lil more often than three times a day. Hunger is still not really there for me. But maybe I need to be setting alarms to remind myself to put in something good for me. Hummm it's a thought. Well enough here...time for me to get up and get moving once again.

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

If what you're doing is no longer working, I say change it up! If you're doing 80% cardio and 20% weights flip them or go 50%-50%. Rest from hard exercise a couple days per week. Adjust your macros (protein vs fat vs carbs) while at least maintaining the minimum amount of protein your team gave you, (mine says min. 73g per day for women). Try consciously eating a bit more one day, a bit less the next. Weigh no more than once per week. All of these things help me stay out of ruts which lead to stalls for me.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

Surgery date
    01/09/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Lautz
    Last Activity
    02-09-2015 07:21 PM
    Said "Thanks" 154 Times
    Was Thanked 299 Times in 286 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 76 Times
    Blog Entries

After 9 months, i really had to step up my game to continue to lose. Like keep check of all the food I eat. Exercise a lot (not just walk). I do intense exercise.

Sometimes your body needs time to catch up.

Just make sure you don't get discourage and gain the weight back. 100lb is a lot of weight. Congratulations!!

You also may have loose skin.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/06/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Frank Veninga
    Said "Thanks" 27 Times

Oh yes loose skin is all around! Looks like I suffer from droppy panty hose on the TOP of my legs now. LOL But at least that means fat has been lost. Not sure how I will ever get the skin gone as it does not look like plastic surgery is in my financial plans. But that is not the most important part. Am I wrong to try and wonder how at a size medium I am still considered overweight?