Surgeon
    dr lenz
    Last Activity
    12-06-2018 02:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 49 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 42 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Ok - I am officially frustrated. Seriously - ??

Just shy of 1 month post op - I have heard about the 3 week stall but how about the post op stall - how is this even possible to eat this little & the scale not budge. I have heard all the arguments about throwing away the scale - yah yah - but you NEED to see some weight loss - everyone NEEDS TO SEE some weight loss to validate why we went through this MAJOR SURGERY & massive lifestyle change. I could lose 20 pounds on any diet. I need to see something a bit more impressive then that. I lost 40 pounds on my own last year, 9 started to creep back up on me so I decided to sleeve. I only lost 6 pre op on a 2 week diet of liquids and have only lost 14 or 15 since then in over three weeks and nothing since last Saturday. How is that even possible with this calorie intake?? I am on the treadmill 6 days a week 2.25 miles, my job & personal life is very active. I am eating as much as I can and ending each day between 500-650 calories, drinking water, and still on purees but eating mainly pureed eggs, salmon, canned chicken & yogurt. I am beyond frustrated. what happened to the whole - lose a pound for every 3500 calories not eaten?? looking for some answers. Plan to call the dr Monday & vent.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    12/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wasco
    Last Activity
    04-19-2014 04:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 27 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,226 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Ok - I am officially frustrated. Seriously - ??

Google the 5 Day Pouch test. I see people talking about it on here. I don't have my surgery until December 31. good luck..just keep on moving..

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Monica
    Surgery date
    10/08/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Naresh Ahuja
    Last Activity
    07-09-2014 08:25 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

Quote Originally Posted by aglb View Post
    Just shy of 1 month post op - I have heard about the 3 week stall but how about the post op stall - how is this even possible to eat this little & the scale not budge. I have heard all the arguments about throwing away the scale - yah yah - but you NEED to see some weight loss - everyone NEEDS TO SEE some weight loss to validate why we went through this MAJOR SURGERY & massive lifestyle change. I could lose 20 pounds on any diet. I need to see something a bit more impressive then that. I lost 40 pounds on my own last year, 9 started to creep back up on me so I decided to sleeve. I only lost 6 pre op on a 2 week diet of liquids and have only lost 14 or 15 since then in over three weeks and nothing since last Saturday. How is that even possible with this calorie intake?? I am on the treadmill 6 days a week 2.25 miles, my job & personal life is very active. I am eating as much as I can and ending each day between 500-650 calories, drinking water, and still on purees but eating mainly pureed eggs, salmon, canned chicken & yogurt. I am beyond frustrated. what happened to the whole - lose a pound for every 3500 calories not eaten?? looking for some answers. Plan to call the dr Monday & vent.
    I could have written this post a month ago! I was beyond frustrated. I gave up half my stomach for the scale to be -.6 one day and +.8 the next?! No real loss during weeks 2 and 3. I think it just takes some of our bodies longer to adjust and realize that this is a permanent thing and we aren't trying to starve ourselves.

I know it's hard, but just keep doing what you're doing. I find the scale moves if I get more calories -closer to 800, and ALL of my protein. My scale is starting to move almost daily, now - THANK GOODNESS. Stay on the plan and it will work!
    Starting weight: 257
    Pre-op weight: 228
    Surgery date: 10/08/13

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

I know this is simplistic to say but, really, it happens to most of us.
    The best way to describe the complicated mess going on inside you is like this:
    There is surface fat and deeper fat.
    The surface fat is easier for your body to burn and it has been doing that.
    Once that's all gone, your cells have to literally move things around to get the other fat where it can be burned more easily- this is why people get literally smaller during a stall.
    This is a good thing!
    Keep up what you are doing, get some extra sleep because that is just as important as the exercise!!
    Stalls can last a couple of weeks and then all of a sudden wham, you'll drop lbs again.
    And please remember not to compare yourself to others here, especially those of us who started larger.
    You haven't as much to lose so your progress will be somewhat slower than those who started at 300.
    There's no rush. The slower you lose, the better your skin will look
    Don't worry, be happy
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

8. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Kelly
    Surgery date
    09/18/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Diaz
    Last Activity
    03-31-2020 02:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times
    Blog Entries

Your doing fine! Try not to get so upset about it! You are doing everything like you should be....sit back and wait for it to happen!

I was getting really upset too - but then I thought back and realized I couldn't of lost 40 lbs in 2 months by myself - NO WAY! It comes of gradually, and one day you'll look at the scale and say wow...I'm down 50lb's! WOOHOO!!! Also, I think we wait so long for surgery we think that the weight is just going to melt off super quickly. I loose anywhere from 2.2 lbs a week to a high of 7lbs (first week). I will take whatever I can get - and when I don't see a difference on numbers on the scale - I do see a difference in inches! Have you measured lately? If not, do it now so you will have something to compare to next time you are in a "stall".

Best Wishes!

12. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    10/31/2013
    Surgeon
    William B. Inabnet
    Last Activity
    05-23-2016 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

My stall was at 2 weeks....you just have to have faith in the process. And yes, during that time I got "smaller". Get a tape measure and use it while the scale is not moving. Take selfies. Look for "non scale victories". Even on a day when I don't see a change, I am so happy I don't feel ruled by food cravings. Best wishes!

Gastric Sleeve Member country girl's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jason Suits
    Last Activity
    07-26-2014 09:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

It happened to me too and I called the dr and they told me the same thing everybody else told me on this site. I am 2 months post op and now I am down 40 lbs. but for 1 week I didn't lose anything on the scales but my size 12 jeans got real baggy and i had to wear a belt. So just as all have said,be patient and measure. Good luck.

Gastric Sleeve Member CaymanKarma's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/07/2013
    Surgeon
    FMC- Florida
    Last Activity
    08-04-2018 12:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 23 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times
    Blog Entries

this could have been written by me! And the responses are why I LOVE this forum!!! I love having the ability to see responses from those who have gone through this--either with me or before me---who can validate by their own experiences. THANKS to all of you who replied.

Im at the 3wk stall. Haven't seen scale move. Yet people are commenting about my looks so something is going right!
    Highest Weight- 315lbs- Nov 2012
    Each day is an opportunity to be greater than I ever imagined possible!

Gastric Sleeve Member PipperMarrow's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/13/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kim
    Last Activity
    04-30-2014 06:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 35 Times
    Was Thanked 64 Times in 61 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

I stalled for almost a month after the third week. I did everything I was supposed to do but the scale did not budge. My loss has been slower than most, however I can continue to lose versus gain so I'm happy. It all adds up slowly but surely. You will have lots of stalls on this journey, just keep your head up and take it day by day. Many people lose a lot of weight really fast on these forums, but it not necessarily the "norm". I have lost 45 in three and a half months. Did I think it would be faster? Yeah, but honestly I have not ever lost 45 pounds in three and a half months. Don't compare yourself to others, just keep moving on it will fall off! I promise

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    dr lenz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I did not take measurements until last week and to be honest, not even sure if I did it right since I haven't measured before. I am quite short - barely over 5 ft - to be honest, it is usually pretty apparent when I lose even 20 pounds (or gain for that matter) - just not a lot of place to hide it in only 5 ft. I knew I would lose slower than some but it is so hard not to compare against others sleeved around the same time & of course I want to see some movement on that scale now to help validate this massive commitment we have all signed on to. I often tell myself to be patient but when I see people I know who know I have had wls I feel like they are always "looking" for a difference - I am usually so grateful if no one asks me how much I have lost because when they ask I lie & say I haven't weighed myself lately - I am trying to get on the scale only twice a week now but that is difficult because I do really need that validation. I read these forums and there are so many of us panicking because we are stalled or we are afraid our sleeve isn't working, or the weight loss has slowed down before we are "done" - I am a very "compliant" patient. Haven't cheated even a bit - work daily at getting in the recommended - Most days I am at 52-58 protein but really trying but I am literally not eating anything that doesn't have protein in it! Thanks everyone for the support & encouragement.

Name
    "Lea" (nickname)
    Surgery date
    06/25/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Treen
    Said "Thanks" 134 Times
    Was Thanked 139 Times in 107 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,434 Times

I STILL have stalls!!!!
    IT'S BEEN ALMOST TEN YEARS NOW SINCE MY SURGERY. AND IM STILL GOING STRONG!!!!!!

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

aglb ... only asking here ...

Did someone tell you that you wouldn't experience stalls? Or did your medicos forget to tell you that stalls are par for the course? And that stalls start happening during the first month? And they can go on for weeks at a time?

Because for each of those descriptions, the opposite of what's stated above is what happens. I think you would have so much less anxiety if you could just make your peace with reality, not some fantasy version of what being sleeved is like.

Really, I'm not being sassy. Just trying to reassure you that everything I've read or heard about the VSG experience is that all you have to do is just do the program and you will lose the weight you need to do. Also, I don't know if you're exercising yet or have even been approved to exercise yet, but exercise is just wonderful for relieving stress. For some it's really a game-changer as far as anxiety goes.

Very best wishes to you. BTW, I think your weight loss seems absolutely wonderful.

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89
    M11 144 -91
    M12 143 -92
    M13 142 -93
    M14 140 -95
    M15 139 -96
    M16 137 -98
    M17 135 -100

First Surgiversary post

Second Surgiversary post

Third Surgiversary post

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    11/04/2013
    Surgeon
    dr lenz
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Ann2 - to be honest, no - my dietitian nor my doctor talked much about the "after" sleeve - they answer any question I ask when I am there, they reassure me that no matter what has happened in the past with diets - you WILL LOSE WEIGHT. but no, they have never talked about stalls etc. In the almost two years I spent trying to get this weight off on my own (40 pounds over 7 months) and trying to decide about whether to do this surgery, I had many conversations with them on if I really would have success with this. I guess it is one of those times when you don't realize how big you are - don't get me wrong, I knew I was overweight but until I really looked at my bmi I never really thought I was THAT which would qualify me for weight loss surgery. I am short so even people who weigh a fair amount more than me have similar bmi's because of height. They assured me I was "qualified" - and yes, I have come to the realization that I was bigger than I thought. But they were quick to say they cannot tell me how much I will lose - only that they had never had a single patient regret their decision to have surgery. I am exercising - treadmill 2.25-2.5 miles 6 days a week. I am a small business owner that puts in long days (at my work & at home) and am very active with family - caring for elderly parents etc. so 45 min of exercise a day is pretty much what I am able to do. Simply don't have the time to spend more than that. I have been cleared for walking but not weight training - I hope to do some light stuff for arms etc. when I am but still won't have the interest or the time to double my exercise or anything. I think I have learned from these forums that everyone or many, many seem to have stalls throughout the process but it is hard for me to wrap my head around how it is possible to be 70 pounds over weight, be eating this few of calories and exercising and not be losing consistent weight weekly - I do appreciate everyone's comments though. It is so supportive to see others who have gone through this and experienced the same thing & gotten past it. :-)

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by aglb View Post
    Ann2 - to be honest, no - my dietitian nor my doctor talked much about the "after" sleeve -
    Really, that's because the vast majority of dieticians haven't had bariatric surgery and don't have a clue about the realities. They are taught less calories = lose weight and as we can see with this process it just doesn't always run smoothly like that. I still to this day have dieticians telling me I need to eat 90 carbs a day to 'stoke' my metabolism...yeah, right. All 90 carbs a day does is stoke my fat gain.
    This is why we're all here. To share, to kvetch, to cheer. And why I'm here after the hellish journey I've had, because I'm NOT the model sleever and people need to see the realities from someone who has lived the bad as much as they need to see those who have a smoother journey.
    So, ask away!
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast