Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

marilynlw

Marilyn's weight loss journey, installment 5 New beginnings!

Rate this Entry
This process getting sleeved had been a long and complicated ordeal. I went to the first informational meeting almost 3 years ago and was all excited to get my weight under control. Before I could get an appointment I had to get a referral from my PCP and authorization from my insurance company. After 2 months I finally realized that it would not be cover even though I had a BMI greater than 65. They just wouldn't cover any WLSs period. My hopes were shot down.

In June this year I got a notification that I due changes in the company plan I would have to select a PCP and notice of plan changes. My PCP was on the list and low and behold WLSs are covered if deemed medically necessary. Yeah! Well it took 2 months but I finally got the referral and insurance authorization to start the process with my surgeon at Queens Comprehensive Weight Management. There was one little catch that they will not operate on patients over 64. My birthday is in March and I needed to get it done soon as I am already 64. But the rush was on. All the battery of tests to be completed. Then another snag. Blood test showed Hyperthyroidism, and surgery could not be done until that was under control, and it could take months to determine the cause and treat. If it was thyroid cancer the possibility for the sleeve were totally gone.

My PCP ordered more blood work and the results was only slight off from normal and concluded that we didn't need to do anything at this time. Really OK! So my surgeon decided we would go ahead with the final testing and if nothing else came up I would be good to go. But with each test I stressed about the results. It was a major victory when the doctor said I could schedule me date and I have been happy ever since.

My surgery scheduled on Nov 12th at 12:20 PM and was not nervous at all, even when mine was delayed due to an emergency surgery which Dr. Lorenzo had to perform. I was about 3 hours late going in but was awake and feeling no pain and in my room by 7 PM. Went to the bathroom and walked the hall before 8. The Morphine pump was my best friend and it kept me comfy. I was allowed ice chips 3 hrs after surgery and took full advantage of it. I was discharged Wednesday right after lunch and they gave me an Oxycodon before I left. By the time we were 10 minutes from the hospital I was heaving and gasping for breath. But I was not going back I wanted to go HOME. When the stupid pill wore off I was fine and have been doing better each day. I did have some gas but not anything a little burping and farting didn't cure.

I will post later about progress with food and weight loss, but I know you are bored to tears by now.

Submit "Marilyn's weight loss journey, installment 5 New beginnings!" to Digg Submit "Marilyn's weight loss journey, installment 5 New beginnings!" to del.icio.us Submit "Marilyn's weight loss journey, installment 5 New beginnings!" to StumbleUpon Submit "Marilyn's weight loss journey, installment 5 New beginnings!" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

I've noticed how you weight loss ticker is going down sooo fast.!!! That's great!
    Welcome to the sleeved side!