Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

View RSS Feed

livingonaprayer

I was TOTALLY floored by the (bad) news I received today

Rate this Entry
I've had difficulties with my arthritis especially in my knees. Had the fluid shots and been waiting to jump in and finally start really exercising. My knees, mostly my right one, was still painful. Had an MRI and saw my Orthopedic dr. today (he did a clean up on my left knee last year). I was STUNNED by what he said. My right knee is completely shot.....both sides of the cartilage are torn, ligament is torn and it's bone on bone. Nothing can be done except for a total knee replacement. I was in shock; not what I was expecting at all. I still cannot believe it!!! Plus I need surgery on my right foot that I have put off for 6 months. That will have to be done first and then the knee. I'm guessing I'll be doing around 3 months of recovery time with the 2 surgeries. HOW am I going to move the weight OFF of me if I can't be mobile?? I'm so upset with the news......and with myself for not taking better care of myself when I was younger. I know the past is in the past but it still is upsetting.

I need to lose 140 lbs more to reach my goal. I am praying that I will still somehow lose weight during this time.

Submit "I was TOTALLY floored by the (bad) news I received today" to Digg Submit "I was TOTALLY floored by the (bad) news I received today" to del.icio.us Submit "I was TOTALLY floored by the (bad) news I received today" to StumbleUpon Submit "I was TOTALLY floored by the (bad) news I received today" to Google

Tags: None Add / Edit Tags
Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Not to worry. I had surg. last april, because of knee was not able to do much exercise. Had knee replacement in Oct. and other than physio had no excercise. Now I am a lazy bum and did not even do much when I could. I kept true to the sleeve otherwise and I am at goal+ So do the best you can. Of course best for your health to keep moving. So relaxe, take care of the knee and foot, remember protein, water and positive attitude. You can catch up later. Cheers
    I saw some studies online that say starting exercise later doesn't really slow down weight loss that much. You will loose weight just be calorie reduction initially and when you can get active it may actually shake up your metabolism again. Keep focused...it will happen for you!
    Good news, your knee will probably feel a lot better! Having a total knee replacement won't stop you from walking, if anything you will be walking more because you will not have the pain of bone rubbing on bone, so get your walking shoes ready kiddo, and good luck with it all, and God bless, Cindy
    I am with you I need both knees doing but not till I have lost more weight, then the other day my shoulder was so sore and went and have an ultrasound on both shoulders and was told I need both shoulders replaced
    as well and they have to be done before my knees as the doctor said the shoulders have to bear the weight of keeping me off my knees and he doesnt think they will do the job. I dont know what to do first so over it.
    Not sure how soon after surgeries you would be able to do water based activity, but there are ways of keeping somewhat active - things like arm weights can help you build muscles in arms, shoulders etc which will keep up your metabolic rate by putting on some muscle.
    OMG...I remember when I was little I used to watch how Richard Simmons helped people who were practically bedridden to excercise and lose like half their body weight (I think it was some sort of video tape infomercial...LOL!) basically they did sitting down excercise...none of these people could walk...SPARKPEOPLE has MANY videos of chair workouts that will kick your butt! try this one, you will see!
    Seated Cardio Workout: Burn Calories Exercising from a Chair - YouTube
    it does involve some knee work...just skip or do what you can...this is a 10-minute session.

I hope this helps a little? HUGZ!