Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-08-2015 01:30 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default 1 week postop...

Today is my one week anniversary of getting the GS. Here is just a little update on how I've done since being home:

I can finally sleep on my sides, my right more than my left. However, because my stomach is still a bit poofy, I have to tuck some of my blankets underneath me to get some support without having my stomach and back supporting me all night. I have finally been able to get a full nights sleep the past 2 nights. I also just take my pain pill when I go to bed to ensure that I don't abruptly get woken up with stabs of pain. Along with this, my heart burn has still been going crazy and I have sucked down the awful liquid antacid that was given to me at the hospital. I have been trying to take good care of my stitches, but noticed a little discoloration. So I put hydrogen peroxide and let the bubbles take it away.

This past week has been such a challenge with the fluids. Everytime I drink, the acid flares up. I also made the mistake yesterday of gulping a mouthful of broth (won't do that again). I have found myself pretty weak and can only do a walk around my cup-de-sac before feeling extremely tired. During the week I wake up at 6:15 and by 7:00 at night I feel wiped out. I also developed a headache yesterday. However, I associate this with having hardly anything in me for almost 2 weeks (pre/post surgery diet). I have now started on my protein shake today. It's going down pretty good and I think I will start feeling better now that I'm getting more protein and calories in my system.

Now for the psychological part:

I have been pulling recipes that everyone on this forum has shared and websites that are shared. I can't thank all of you enough. I want to make sure I have my cookbook all set so that I'm not scrambling to figure out what to eat and then make mistakes. My son has been wonderful in helping me out, but every time he cooks, I want to rip him apart Yes, I know the boy needs to eat, but to smell the good food and know that I can't even have one bite of it is very upsetting. I was also getting a little anxiety thinking about my future meals.
    "Will I only be able to eat a couple bites at each meal for the rest of my life or will I actually be able to eat the right size portion?" "Here are all these great healthy recipes, did I make a mistake and gave up on myself so soon?" "Damn, if only I can reattach and unattached my stomach that they took off." "No, no, no...be patient. It will get better."

It's hard not being able to eat anything and not having any energy. I'm very grateful for this website because I get to see so many people in different phases and know that it's going to be getting much better and I will gain energy and strength again.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member tiffanytwilight's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Tiffany Storey
    Surgery date
    07/28/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Henderson
    Last Activity
    11-19-2014 03:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 10 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 620 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 1 week postop...

Hi Sweetie!
    I'm just a few days out and going through the same thing. The swelling has finally gotten better for me. Instead of walking a lot at once, just walk around the house a couple of times, then do it again in an hour, in another hour, etc. That seems to help me A LOT! I haven't been sleeping through the night either but I don't think that will get better until the pain subsides.
    1st goal- 199lbs ***Reached 8/16/14
    2nd goal- 170lbs ***Reached 11/09/14
    3rd goal- 150lbs

Wishful thinking goal- 130lbs

Need help to tone and tighten extra skin? Or need a way to getting those fruits and veggies in every day? Contact me or check out my website!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elli
    Last Activity
    05-02-2016 04:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 23 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello Everyone,

It has been 10 days since my surgery and to tell you the truth I am still having problem sleeping. I might sleep about 5-6 hours a night and thats not good at all. I am on blended stage now with my food but I am having problem with my water intake. It hurts when I drink or eat anything. I talk with the doctor he stated that it was go away.... I hope soooooo. .....

Surgery date
    07/25/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
    Hello Everyone,

It has been 10 days since my surgery and to tell you the truth I am still having problem sleeping. I might sleep about 5-6 hours a night and thats not good at all. I am on blended stage now with my food but I am having problem with my water intake. It hurts when I drink or eat anything. I talk with the doctor he stated that it was go away.... I hope soooooo. .....
    I'm sorry to hear that! What's keeping you up at night? Is it the pain or gas? Does your doctor have you taking anything right now?

Surgery date
    07/25/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tiffanytwilight View Post
    Hi Sweetie!
    I'm just a few days out and going through the same thing. The swelling has finally gotten better for me. Instead of walking a lot at once, just walk around the house a couple of times, then do it again in an hour, in another hour, etc. That seems to help me A LOT! I haven't been sleeping through the night either but I don't think that will get better until the pain subsides.
    I need to discipline myself to do that. Especially since most of the time I work at home, so time gets by me before I realize it.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    ammie
    Surgery date
    05/28/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Russell Van Husen
    Last Activity
    07-01-2015 03:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 27 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 181 Times
    Blog Entries

It is such a roller coaster ride emotionally! Hang in there it does get better but it is a major life change! Your doing great just sip sip sip and walk walk walk! I agree take shorter walks more frequently.

10. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/22/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Elli
    Last Activity
    05-02-2016 04:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello JennD

I have just little pains and my gas not the problem. But since my surgery I cant sleep well

Surgery date
    07/25/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by monalisa View Post
    Hello JennD

I have just little pains and my gas not the problem. But since my surgery I cant sleep well
    Hmm...I'm wondering if because I take my pain pill before bed is why I've been able to sleep better the past couple of nights.

Surgery date
    08/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-09-2014 11:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times

Hang in there. IT will get better. Are you hungry? or do you just remember what hungry was? One day you will be able to cook for your son and not even care. You will enjoy him enjoying your food. No worries, your body is adjusting to the lack of food. Definitely drink your protein. My oldest daughter is one year out and says she drinks protein water all day. Isopure is her favorite, maybe that would be something you would like. My best.

Surgery date
    07/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Mr Li
    Last Activity
    07-02-2016 04:18 PM
    Said "Thanks" 159 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 94 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 177 Times

My turn-around day was Day 11 - I woke up feeling pretty much back to normal I do find that it doesn't take much to make me feel tired but from the start, I've just tried to relax and go with the flow and wait for things to get better. Someone posted on here 'This too shall pass' and I've hung onto that and guess what? It really does - often within a day or two. Try not to push yourself - just relax and know that you're at the start of an exciting journey to a fitter, healthier and more confident you!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/23/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-17-2017 09:34 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Hang in there .. We all have been there. Stay positive get outside and walk even though you don't want to. The Isopure liquid is ok mixed in water. It's a great way to get water and protein. I am post op day 9 and I am starting full liquids . Praying for you ..

Gastric Sleeve Member secretblonde's Avatar
    Name
    Karin
    Surgery date
    03/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    05-10-2017 12:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 49 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,400 Times
    Blog Entries

it does get SO much better.. I am 4.5 months out, and I can eat (or try)whatever I want.. yesterday a small steak and a couple helpings of shrimp and crab cerviche throughout the day... I am drinking one or two protein shakes a day. I try to get my protein elsewhere, but it doesn't always work. I tried bread, but actually I have little desire to eat it now. same with rice and pasta. everything is based around protein for the most part. try tums or generic for your gas pains, theres lots of calcium in them !! Best of luck on your Journey!!! and I See you live in paradise !!! howdy neighbor

Surgery date
    07/25/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by secretblonde View Post
    it does get SO much better.. I am 4.5 months out, and I can eat (or try)whatever I want.. yesterday a small steak and a couple helpings of shrimp and crab cerviche throughout the day... I am drinking one or two protein shakes a day. I try to get my protein elsewhere, but it doesn't always work. I tried bread, but actually I have little desire to eat it now. same with rice and pasta. everything is based around protein for the most part. try tums or generic for your gas pains, theres lots of calcium in them !! Best of luck on your Journey!!! and I See you live in paradise !!! howdy neighbor

Lol, hey neighbor! Thanks for the reply. Here's some of the light I needed.

Surgeon
    Poplawski
    Last Activity
    07-15-2018 06:00 PM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

This is what I needed. I am 10 days post op and feel great except I have no desire to eat or drink anything. I was starting to wonder if that would be a struggle for ever. What a 180 that would be! I feel like I need to know normalcy is eventual.

Name
    Ann2
    Surgery date
    08/18/2014
    Surgeon
    n.a.
    Said "Thanks" 5,839 Times
    Was Thanked 5,052 Times in 2,720 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3,616 Times
    Blog Entries

Many people may know this already, but it was something I learned during a nutritional lecture that surprised me ...

Ghrelin, the hunger hormone produced / released through the fundus portion of the stomach (the portion that's removed during VSG), is not only a food hunger hormone, but a hydration / water / liquids hunger hormone. That's why, post-op, we can't rely on thirst sensations to dictate when to drink. And that's why hydration can be such a challenge for people who are newly sleeved.

Bottom line: Sip, sip, sip all day long -- whether you're thirsty or not.

So there's your fun VSG fact of the day. (If you didn't know it already.)

Consult: 235 lbs
    My and doc's preop diet: 216 -19 lbs
    M1 postop 205 -30
    M2 193 -42
    M3 184 -51
    M4 174 -61
    M5 167 -68
    M6 162 -73
    M7 156 -79
    M8 151 -84
    M9 148 -87
    M10 146 -89