12/15/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Phillip Chin
    Last Activity
    08-20-2012 12:19 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 16 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 96 Times

Default Re: how do you get over your stomach being removed?????

What a great post!
    Quote Originally Posted by mommyducky View Post
    Thank you so much and you are very welcome. I am glad that I could ease your mind. Believe me, there is no reason to freak out! The surgery is over before you even know it's begun. I was up and moving around almost immediately after. Second day, I was able to drink and take walks outside with my mom. I had a little pain and heartburn but they gave me meds for that. Third day, I felt great and my surgeon let me go home that evening. The diet was so much easier than I expected! I had no problem whatsoever and I didn't / don't mourn any food I can't eat. I had two major concerns going in to this. First is that I've always had trouble remembering to eat regularly and would end up eating one huge meal a day instead of a bunch of small ones. Nutritionist told me to set an alarm to go off every three hours to remind me to eat but guess what, I don't even need it. My body is like a machine now and I get gurgling sounds from my tummy to remind me to eat and it also tells me when to stop eating so I don't get sick. I have not gotten sick at all since my surgery. I did have a minor incident when attempting to satisfy my sweet tooth with a little chocolate ice cream but just a minor tummy ache. And that brings me to my second issue, my sweet tooth. Pre-op, I was a major sugar lover; in fact I would have been happy to live off nothing but sweets forever haha. I was worried this would be an issue for me post-op but I have found it to be not so bad! There are so many healthy alternatives I could take instead and still feel satisfied. I can have fruit shake and fruit flavored yogurt and this morning I just took a banana and mashed it up for breakfast and it was fantastic! I was also a very picky eater before and now I can eat things I would never touch before and it actually tastes good to me and I really enjoy it. It's like after going more than a day without water and then that one sip of water is divine. Then after a few days of clear liquids, you add other liquids and they taste amazing; even just a glass of milk. And just recently I went from liquids only to mooshy baby food kind of stuff and I can't believe how delicious everything is! It sounds crazy but it's really true. Everytime I get to have something new, it's a treat and my body is convinced it's getting exactly what it wants and that makes me feel great. I am so happy so far with this and I would definitely recommend it. I have no regrets and I actually have so much to look forward to now. This sleeve is opening so many new doors for me and I cannot wait to walk through them.

Good luck to you with your surgery, recovery and beyond! Just remember the most important things: Protein, Water and Exercise. If you get enough of those, you'll find yourself on the fast track to reaching your goal! Have no fear! It will all work out. And if you need advice or just someone to talk to, I'm here so message me anytime and you have the best support group ever on these boards! Keep us updated. Be well.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Le
    Last Activity
    07-31-2013 11:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

I didn't really think about it. I figured I'd rather be thin than have all of my stomach. But - when I went to my 2 week post op surgeons appointment, the doctor checked my incision sites. He pointed to one and said, "That's the one your stomach came out of." That gave me the heebie jeebies. I told him, "I didn't need to know that!" He just laughed. I've had a little trouble adjusting to the new diet, but I'm enjoying the weight loss.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    06-05-2014 05:30 AM
    Said "Thanks" 546 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 51 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 89 Times

47lbs since October? You jolly well should be enjoying it. Kind regards

Gastric Sleeve Member mommyducky's Avatar
    Name
    Lee
    Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Anya Feighin
    Last Activity
    06-24-2017 10:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 280 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 58 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by UK Tim View Post
    47lbs since October? You jolly well should be enjoying it. Kind regards
    Indeed, that is very impressive. I did my sleeve on the same day and only lost half as much!
    Lee

There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well and that's be you. Be what you're like. Be like yourself.

Follow my journey visually on youtube:<br>theugleeducklee&#39;s Channel - YouTube

Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Le
    Last Activity
    07-31-2013 11:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 13 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Oh no - I didn't lose 47 since October! I lost some before surgery - in order to get the surgery. I've lost 22 since my surgery. 47 seems crazy!! But thanks for the kind words!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member mommyducky's Avatar
    Name
    Lee
    Surgery date
    10/31/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Anya Feighin
    Last Activity
    06-24-2017 10:23 AM
    Said "Thanks" 280 Times
    Was Thanked 58 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 58 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by librajj View Post
    Oh no - I didn't lose 47 since October! I lost some before surgery - in order to get the surgery. I've lost 22 since my surgery. 47 seems crazy!! But thanks for the kind words!
    Well in that case, we are sleeve sisters! Surgery on the same day and both lost 22lbs! Hurray for us! You should be proud of yourself as I am of myself!
    Lee

There's only one thing that I know how to do well and I've often been told that you only can do what you know how to do well and that's be you. Be what you're like. Be like yourself.

Follow my journey visually on youtube:<br>theugleeducklee&#39;s Channel - YouTube

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Bobbie
    Surgery date
    11/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. LaMaster
    Last Activity
    11-06-2012 08:47 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

You are right, you are doing this for you!! I was like you, not sure I wanted to tell many people because I was concerned about their reactions. My 20 yr old daughter was completely against it but she is coming around. My BIL said he would never have surgery like this & another SIL understand because a good friend of hers has had the surgery & done great. My mother, brother & his wife, and 2 friends have been very supportive. It's sad that this type of surgery brings out so many negative reactions, when it is there as an awesome tool.

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Monica_Lynn View Post
    I thought of it like this.....Lap band is reversible and is a foreign object your body can reject....Sleeve is permanent. Now keep in mind that even with the sleeve you can gain weight back if you aren't following the correct diet. I wanted something more permanent to help me on this journey.
    I was talking to some of my close friends that know I am having the surgery in June last week and some guy overheard me. When they walked away he quietly asked me about it and then told me he had the gastric bypass done a few years ago. I was shocked when he told me he had been 400 pounds and now I think he was around 220 (he was a big guy anyway - 6'4") but he said the same thing, he has gained some of it back. That's my biggest fear and I guess it's all up to me to decide to follow everything because I would hate to spend all of this money and go through all the trouble and recovery only to have it fail.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

People often do regain some. But, I bet this gentleman is much healthier and happier with 220 versus 400 even if he could stand to lose a few more.

This is reality, MOST people don't keep off 100% of their excess, but MOST people do keep a significant portion of it off.

Quote Originally Posted by azladyrider View Post
    I was talking to some of my close friends that know I am having the surgery in June last week and some guy overheard me. When they walked away he quietly asked me about it and then told me he had the gastric bypass done a few years ago. I was shocked when he told me he had been 400 pounds and now I think he was around 220 (he was a big guy anyway - 6'4") but he said the same thing, he has gained some of it back. That's my biggest fear and I guess it's all up to me to decide to follow everything because I would hate to spend all of this money and go through all the trouble and recovery only to have it fail.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cowgirljane View Post
    People often do regain some. But, I bet this gentleman is much healthier and happier with 220 versus 400 even if he could stand to lose a few more.

This is reality, MOST people don't keep off 100% of their excess, but MOST people do keep a significant portion of it off.
    Oh yeah of course, he said it was his own fault and if he started to workout more he could easily get it back off. We were at a Bday party (biker style lol) and right after we talked I went inside to chat with my friends and I came out and announced there was cake inside lol He just looked at me and I said oops, gotta stop that eh? lol lol lol Hey I am eating what I want for now, kinda like a whole month of "last meals"

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456