Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    01-26-2020 02:17 AM
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times
    Was Thanked 242 Times in 191 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 115 Times

Default Yay I got my surgery date April 29th

I've been debating the VGS for a couple of years. Back and forth I'd go. After a scary health issue early this year I decided I was tired of living like this. Out of breath, tired, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, not wanting to socialize, really just ashamed of myself and hiding.

My surgery date is scheduled for April 29th and I'm so excited to get back to participating in life instead of sitting on the sidelines. My husband is super supportive and he's the only one that will know about the surgery. We live in another state from family so they will be surprised when they see me from time to time. I hope I don't get the third degree from people. How have you all handled the "Nosey Nellie's" of the world? People really do think it's okay to ask don't they?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    10/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Clifford Black
    Last Activity
    12-24-2019 10:27 AM
    Said "Thanks" 168 Times
    Was Thanked 192 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 59 Times

Default Re: Yay I got my surgery date April 29th

I never hid it from anyone. I told everyone that I was having it and I was supported much more than I thought I would be. The only person that had a problem with it was my mom but that was only because she had friends and family that had the surgery and even some family that had the surgery twice. They would eat whatever they wanted and throw up at every meal. She thought that was normal. I told her that it was because they were overindulging. She quickly seen that it could be normal after surgery. I told people because I didn't want people to think I was a crackhead when they seen I had lost 30 lbs in 30 days. I've gotten amazing support.

HW: 315 lbs (2008) Maintained at 296 until 2015.
    SW: 255 lbs (10/11/18)
    1 mth post op: 229 -26lbs
    8 weeks post op 213 -42lbs
    3 months post op 197 -58lbs (at home)
    3 month post op appt 196 -59 lbs (1/28/19)
    6 months post op 171 -84 lbs (4/11/19) (at home)
    9 months post op 150 -105 lbs (7/11/19) (at home) *GOAL*
    1 year post op - maintained at 150

4. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Quote Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
    I've been debating the VGS for a couple of years. Back and forth I'd go. After a scary health issue early this year I decided I was tired of living like this. Out of breath, tired, sleep apnea, high blood pressure, not wanting to socialize, really just ashamed of myself and hiding.

My surgery date is scheduled for April 29th and I'm so excited to get back to participating in life instead of sitting on the sidelines. My husband is super supportive and he's the only one that will know about the surgery. We live in another state from family so they will be surprised when they see me from time to time. I hope I don't get the third degree from people. How have you all handled the "Nosey Nellie's" of the world? People really do think it's okay to ask don't they?

I had all the same problems, obstructed sleep apnea, high B/P, short of breath, no energy. I also had fatty liver, high cholesterol panel, increased chronic pain in back, hips & knees, Mild Congestive Heart Failure. I went from being a very social person to avoiding people. I even was avoiding family. Too embarrassed about how fat I had become. So I would make excuses for has long has I could. While visiting my family I finally saw how obese I truly was and I no longer wanted to live a life a misery and shame. I could barely climb a flight of stairs, couldn’t keep up with my little nephew, I was tired of being sweaty all the time, tired of not being able to easily sit on the floor and play with my nephew. So I changed my eating habbits and started walking everywhere, walking up and down hills. I lost 22lbs in 6weeks while visiting my brother and his family. When I got home I learned about the Sleeve and started researching and learning what I could. Went to my husband and he agreed to pay for it. I told my family and close friends. I really had no problem sharing I had received a tool and got the Sleeve surgery along with exercising every day and changing my diet. I was proud of my success and felt maybe sharing my story might help someone else. I only had one person that wasn’t happy with me having surgery and it was my mom. When she saw my success she became my biggest supporter. Rest of my family were so supportive and proud of me. My friends same way. No one ever was negative especially when they saw my before and after pic and seeing how I changed my life and how happy I was. You can do the opposite it’s your choice you might be surprised how well people respond. Excited for you and wish you much success and regain your happiness. B2E98CDC-96BB-4AC8-AD69-2BE64FDEC103.jpeg70E952C1-0B3D-4BA8-8BA2-9F39268C584C.jpeg
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

Surgery date
    05/23/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr Shillingford
    Last Activity
    07-14-2019 02:12 PM
    Said "Thanks" 295 Times
    Was Thanked 105 Times in 80 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

OMG Tamara2 those pics - what an AMAZING transformation! I have the EXACT same issues as both you and coopersmom - high blood pressure, early heart disease, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, fatty liver, chronic pain, fatigue, extreme social anxiety and embarrassment over how heavy I have gotten. I feel physically awful and miserable. Even today, there was an Easter Egg hunt in our neighborhood this morning and I "pretended" that I forgot about it. My poor 6 year should have been there! My obesity is now hurting her life too and it makes me so sad.

coopersmom - so happy you got your date! When the time comes, I think I will tell only select people about the surgery. People have a hard time keeping their opinions to themselves and I am not looking for anyone else's approval.

7. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times

You've done an awesome job, I'm thrilled you have the support of family. That means a lot. My family is a bunch of skinny mini's <as I was most of my life> and the most judgmental group of people I know. I love them dearly, but they have no filter and no concept of what it is like to be overweight. It's a blame/shame game with them. Your fat, stop eating and you won't be fat anymore. That is their idea of support LOL. I live out of state so I won't see them for a few months anyway. They will be surprised I'm sure, but funny enough they'll be thrilled in their own way.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times

WOW Tamera2 you look so happy and beautiful! I'm thrilled to pieces for you. This is why I'm thankful for this forum. It's so nice to hear from people who have been in your same spot and then to see such wonderful results. I've always been outgoing and the social butterfly until my massive weight gain. I just couldn't feel comfortable physically or mentally around people, but I've missed the companionship. I don't want to waste another second of life! Congratulations and much continued success to you. Thanks for sharing your story and your gorgeous photos, that snow looks amazing to me.

11. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/29/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Foreman
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 558 Times

Woohoo congrats on your surgery date too. Are you getting excited and nervous? I am but definitely more excited than nervous. I hear ya' on the missing out on the soical scene. It's been hard for me and unfortunately for my dear sweet hubby too. He's basically been a bachelor he says for the past few years, he's as excited as I am I think. Best of luck to you on getting ready and on your big day.

Surgery date
    10/18/2018
    Surgeon
    Jorge Maytorena
    Last Activity
    07-22-2020 08:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 53 Times in 43 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

I only told my friend who went to the hospital with me, my sister, my mom, and my 14 year old daughter. I just don’t feel like being the topic of conversation and people can be crappy. I decided it was no ones business. Congratulations on scheduling your surgery! Very exciting!

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times

Quote Originally Posted by coopersmom View Post
    WOW Tamera2 you look so happy and beautiful! I'm thrilled to pieces for you. This is why I'm thankful for this forum. It's so nice to hear from people who have been in your same spot and then to see such wonderful results. I've always been outgoing and the social butterfly until my massive weight gain. I just couldn't feel comfortable physically or mentally around people, but I've missed the companionship. I don't want to waste another second of life! Congratulations and much continued success to you. Thanks for sharing your story and your gorgeous photos, that snow looks amazing to me.
    Thank you so much. Thats why I love sharing my pics so you can not only read about my story but have pics to really see it almost first hand. I grew up thin also. My weight issues started in 1997 when i was diagnosed with MS. I spent 20 some years going up and down. It wasnt till I started having weight related health problems I knew I needed to get help. I went through counseling and then when visiting family the light bulb went off. This surgery is going to give your life back and improve your health. I was amazed how quick sleep abnea cleared,High B/P became low end of normal, CHF gone/heart strong,no longer diabetic. Off multiple meds. So excited for you to have this life saving surgery. You will be able to reclaim your life and make Dreams come true.
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times

Smile Re: Yay I got my surgery date April 29th

Quote Originally Posted by JessNP View Post
    OMG Tamara2 those pics - what an AMAZING transformation! I have the EXACT same issues as both you and coopersmom - high blood pressure, early heart disease, sleep apnea, high cholesterol, fatty liver, chronic pain, fatigue, extreme social anxiety and embarrassment over how heavy I have gotten. I feel physically awful and miserable. Even today, there was an Easter Egg hunt in our neighborhood this morning and I "pretended" that I forgot about it. My poor 6 year should have been there! My obesity is now hurting her life too and it makes me so sad.

coopersmom - so happy you got your date! When the time comes, I think I will tell only select people about the surgery. People have a hard time keeping their opinions to themselves and I am not looking for anyone else's approval.
    Thank you Jess, Thank you for the compliments. I appreciate your kind words. Get ready to have your life changed for the better and gain your health back and gain confidence too. I couldn’t believe how fast all those above health issues went away. Get ready to go on an amazing ride and make your dreams come true.