Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-19-2016 11:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 746 Times
    Was Thanked 355 Times in 317 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 325 Times

Default Re: Please be careful!!!! Dr. Mario almanza

OK FOLKS----This is what I think--- (Criminal Minds is my most FAVORITE show, with my medical ones next in line, sooo with that being said---I pulled out my Sherlock hat and pipe --- bet you didn't even know I had one did you???? AND I HAVE A BADGE TOO!!!) Well, I do not believe that this person is a real person. First off - who waits to go to the Dr for 3 months after they have had major surgery????? Second---who suffers from that degree of heartburn and does not have it checked---ESPECIALLY AFTER MAJOR SURGERY???? Third- Ginger confirmed my medical thoughts as to intestines not being involved in a sleeve procedure. Fourth---WHY WOULD YOU NOT CALL DR ALMANZA AND TELL HIM OF YOUR SITUATION---HE IS A GOOD GUY and willing to jump on correcting a problem!!! HE EVEN TELLS YOU THAT!!!! AND LAST --- off comes the Marry Poppins outfit and the bitch that I beat down every day is raising her head and since I can't get her to shut up with a cookie---HERE GOES-----Surgery is a gamble for ANYONE and ANY DOCTOR---they are practicing. BECAUSE there are people who are standing in line for a hand out from our government to pay for them to just breathe the air that is FREE because of the wonderful people who put there lives on the line for us EVERYDAY---AND in my experience those are the same ones (the ones standing in the government program line) that if something happens to them feel that SOMEONE should pay---is one of the biggest problems this country has!!! AGAIN---no offense intended---insurance companies and lawyers and stupid head people in Washington, making decisions they know nothing about!!!! Come on people---be accountable for yourselves!!!! WHY WOULD SOMEONE NOT GO TO THE PERSON THAT THEY BELIEVED WAS THE CAUSE OF THEIR PROBLEM??? I think this is just a big fat story that is not true. WHEW---glad that is out!!! ok, I'm ok, blessings and hugs- Connie

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Connie
    Surgery date
    08/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 746 Times

This site is run by his staff so of course a lot of people rave about him and choose him. Just an FYI---yes, this forum was started by Dr. Almanza and Dr. Alverez so people could discuss and DECIDE what is right for them. They by no means have any control over what people post---IF THEY DID--- DON'T YOU THINK THEY WOULD REMOVE THE BAD STUFF????? I do not mean to be rude or cruel, I do not intend to hurt anyone's feelings, that is not my nature, and yes this is an open forum for people to EXPRESS their opinions---right now what comes to my mind is opinions are like ass holes----EVERYONE has one and apparently I am showing mine right now. FACT IS there is risk in surgery---5% are going to have trouble---HOW CAN SOMEONE MAKE AN ASSESSMENT on a clinic that they have never even stepped into???? Guess I just couldn't keep the bitch inside me quiet. Maybe I will go have a cookie and then try to find some attorney to help me get money for the stress I am feeling because I am sure that the sugar will give me a headache and I will get to blame someone and OH WAIT---I DID IT MYSELF IT WAS MY CHOICE---DARN-- well, maybe I will get lucky and win enough money to fly all the people who have had successful surgeries to a nice beach and we can all have drink together---OOPS---I don't drink---well, maybe I could try to find someone to blame for that too!!!! OK---I'M OK---blessings and hugs- Connie

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member britiajon's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/15/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-22-2015 11:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

Wow, well that's a whole lot of assumption going on there.

I didn't see anywhere that she said she didn't go to the dr, just that she was just diagnosed with this specific issue now. She didn't mention what kind of process it took to get there. My daughter was diagnosed with a brain tumor 2 weeks ago. She's been seeking treatment for over a year, they finally did a MRI and found the problem. Medicine is a process, not a one pop absolute.

I certainly would not be calling Almanza if I was having problems, he's a long ways away and seeing as there is no way I'd be going back there anyways there's no point. I'm goingbo go to my dr up here so I can get hands on treatment.

Lastly it sounds like you had a great experience at Jerusalem hospital and I'm glad. Not everyone has had the same experience. my experience was mediocre at best, and I've talked to many others who feel the same. Thankfully I haven't had any major problems (knock on wood), but it doesn't mean it can't happen. Almanza is not a god who can do no wrong anymore then any dr is. Shit happens. I think calling this person a fraud is a bit of a leap. Could it be? Yup, but I'd prefer to err on the side of compassion and assume she is a patient who is struggling with a complication.

JMHO
    Hit first goal of 155 at 9.5 months. Setting new goal of 145 which is less then I've ever weighed in my adult life. Woo hoo!
    Hit 2nd goal of 145 at 12 months. Room for 1 more goal, I want to be less then half the person I used to be which means 139

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member holeymoley's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/05/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 103 Times
    Blog Entries

so sorry to hear of your misfortune. I wish for you a speedy & successful recovery. My experience with Dr. Almanza was amazing as it is for others here. We all wish u well....but yes pls get ahold of Louise & she will forward your case to the doc & he can learn from this.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member michelleb's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    09/16/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Aceves
    Last Activity
    06-12-2016 11:20 AM
    Said "Thanks" 537 Times
    Was Thanked 572 Times in 521 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,488 Times
    Blog Entries

WOW Connie, I know you're a strong supporter of Almanza, and there's nothing wrong with that, but anytime a poster has had an issue with the doctor or the clinic or the staff or the recovery house, you believe them to not be real patients of Almanzas/trolls/nut cases/liars etc.

Nobody is perfect, yes even the good ol doctor himself, and he too can overlook something or make a mistake. The poster who started this thread has been on this board since prior to her surgery, not just a sudden appearance. At no time in her post did she slate Almanza. She simply stated the facts. If that was me, I too would not go back to MX to fix the problem. Besides, I'm going to assume she is going to be covered by her healthcare for the revision.

That being said, I too have both an opinion and an asshole, and in this situation it is my opinion that you are extremely angry about something and perhaps have some issues you need to sort out. I'm not sure how this went from a botched surgery to a rant about government, Washington, lawyers, insurance companies etc.

I'm not prepared to turn this into a back and forth mudslinging match. I'm merely stating MY opinion and that is all I'm going to say here.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member holeymoley's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/05/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 73 Times in 67 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 103 Times
    Blog Entries

hugz Connie (mama bear).....we are intitled to our opinions....everyone lets cut each other a little slack here & make nice. All is well with what happened now...our friend is on her way to a speedy recovery & new awesome life. peace out

Gastric Sleeve Member Dee Leshuz's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2012
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 579 Times in 506 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times

The problem is that not everybody is cutting each other slack.
    Starting weight: 255
    Pre-op weight: 228
    Surgery date: 3/14/2012

Gastric Sleeve Member britiajon's Avatar
    Surgery date
    09/15/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-22-2015 11:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 66 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 20 Times

I'm all kinds of slack and getting slacker by the day lol
    Hit first goal of 155 at 9.5 months. Setting new goal of 145 which is less then I've ever weighed in my adult life. Woo hoo!
    Hit 2nd goal of 145 at 12 months. Room for 1 more goal, I want to be less then half the person I used to be which means 139

Name
    Connie
    Surgery date
    08/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 746 Times

I'm all kinds of slack and getting slacker by the day lol BAAHAHHAAHHAHAHAHA MEEE TOOO!!! blessings- Connie

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/04/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    03-11-2013 07:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 26 Times
    Was Thanked 42 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 155 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm very sorry to hear about your troubles I hope everything turns out ok for you. I had the surgery a little bit over 2 months ago and I haven't been to my doctor either. I did schedule and appointment a month later to see him I called and cancelled to wait for my 3 months mark which is next month. I feel fine no pain except for gas bubbles sometimes, and I can eat pretty much anything. But, now I'm a little concern since you're finding out all that almost 3 months later. I feel like I'm not off the hook yet and that anything can happen anytime. I used to worry about leaks but it seems like leaks are not the only thing to worry about. Could you please share with us what was your symtoms? I will keep you in my prayers and I wish you a speedy recovery.

Gastric Sleeve Member chelles15966's Avatar
    Name
    Michelle
    Surgery date
    09/19/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    08-03-2013 09:31 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 13 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times
    Blog Entries

Wow is all I can say!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/22/2011
    Surgeon
    DR CHUA
    Last Activity
    02-27-2013 06:56 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 114 Times
    Blog Entries

i am so sorry about your misfourtane but i would like to ask a few questions you said you used to do this work what kind of narrowing usually happen because i think that is one of my complications and im wondering how long is scar tissue a problem ive had 3 endoscopic dialations and still not really eating more than 2 bites just wanna know how long this problem will last

Gastric Sleeve Member VSGOct2011's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/08/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Guillermo Alvarez
    Last Activity
    07-04-2013 09:22 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 112 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 72 Times
    Blog Entries

You know I love you and you make me laugh at least a couple of times daily Connie, but "ouch"! I really think it was insensitive and disrespectful for you to say she isn't a real patient. I'm guessing you were feeling like you needed to defend Mr Almanza because you felt you had a good experience, but I do think you owe our fellow sleever an apology. She never said she didn't like/recommend him just stated the facts of her experience. It's been said many times - this is a support forum, so hooray, she's getting the care she needs at home and lets hope her next recovery is better with no complications.

IMHO I still think the guy books too many surgeries/day and it's bound to lead to mistakes, I think everyone who is booking their surgeries should ask their surgeon how many procedures they will be doing that day, and where in the que they fall and now the question of whether they will fix anything else like a hernia if noticed when they get in there should also be added to the list of questions to ask.

Lets just be glad 99.9999% who see any of the VSG doctors aren't having complications. As for who's paying/who's waiting in line - life offers us each our own circumstances. To deny anyone medical care is, well maybe that's a debate for another day --- I am Canadian after all and we probably won't see eye to eye on that one I could've waited in line and had this covered at home, but I'm an impatient person - when I make a decision to get things done, I don't want to wait, and I want the best available. Luckily I have a credit line that allowed me to do this without waiting but I will claim the expenses as tax credits and I will get back a significant portion. For those who don't have the luxury of doing that, the cost of caring for an obese person, particularly with co-morbidities far exeeds the cost of the surgery. I would rather contribute to universal health care for everyone then have anyone lose their home or retirement savings because they have an illness or costly medical bill to pay.

Name
    crystal
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr.Michael Baptista
    Last Activity
    07-05-2017 08:25 AM
    Said "Thanks" 194 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times
    Blog Entries

thanks for this post and honesty. Many on here are not sharing the truth! One lady on here post allthis good stuff and then PM something totally different about her experience. I was planning to use him but honestly I'm having doubts. I hope that u will let him know this happened to u!

Name
    Connie
    Surgery date
    08/18/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 746 Times

Crystal, There are many Dr.s that do this surgery. Dr Almanza is a very good dr, as I am sure there are ones here in the states that are too---I just have not gone to them for a sleeve operation so I can not compare. AND I am sure Dr. Almanza has made mistakes, he is not GOD as someone else inferred earlier on, ALL Drs make mistakes, even the ones here in the US and because of this they carry insurance. In the USA if a Dr makes a mistake or something should happen the insurance is there and designed to ease the pain of the mistake---you can sue them and get $$$. The Drs and nurses here pay BIG bucks to have this insurance so they can PRACTICE medicine---that is what drives the cost of health care up--some people use lawyers to get paid for their discomfort or what ever problems happen to occur this also contributes to high health care cost in the USA. It appears to me that you are from GA---so you must be given a heads up---Dr. Almanza is in Mexico and works out of a clinic. IT IS NOTHING like what the hospitals here in the US are like. Now, different is not bad, it is just different. When I was checking around for a Dr. to do the surgery, since I am a self supporting US citizen, I knew going in that my insurance would not cover it and yes I do pay for my own insurance coverage and as with many insurance policies--the sleeve is not covered under my policy that I am willing to pay a monthly fee for. I found that to have it done here it was from 18-20 thousand. AND I would have to arrange transportation and after care in my own home town.[COLOR="purple"] FOR ME[/COLOR] I decided (and in my opinion it was a better deal for me) to spend my money (getting that money by working and saving) on going to Mexico. WITH THAT SAID--the first 2 days after surgery were just terrible, but they probably would have been had I gone to the hospital here. The recovery house in Mexico is NOT LIKE A HOSPITAL either---it is a condo where other people who have had various surgeries from Dr. Almanza and Dr. Lara recover. It reminded kinda like camp from when I was a kid only adults and had a festive air about it (but I take that with me pretty much wherever I go). I went to Mexico with NO expectations other than to get a sleeve to help me live a more healthy and fuller life. This was achieved and I, SO FAR have not had any major problems --( well---the poop thing--but Miralax is my new best friend 1 tsp in the am and 1 tsp in the pm.) Please be aware that no matter where you get your surgery, there are risks involved--things just happen. I believe there is a 5% chance that something could happen. Now, the hard part is for you to decide what you want to do--- I don't care where or who does your surgery, my prayer for you is that you get what you want, and do not have complications and get to live a full and healthy life.

I know that earlier I said that I didn't think it was a real person reporting a bad experience. I just might need to retract that-if it is a real situation, I profoundly apologize--I still have questions that are waiting to be answered. AND PLEASE BELIEVE ME WHEN I SAY I AM SO SO SORRY THAT HAPPENED TO ANYONE, my heart is truly heavy for them, it is not my nature to wish anyone any unhappiness or harm. I try very hard to place principles above personalities.

OH---for the insurance, government, disability and whatever else I flew off on---those are outside issues and IF you want my opinion---personal message me and I will gladly share with you my OPINION---which is as I said before --- everyone has one, and I just happened to show mine then. (I do not believe that I have any deep seeded issues---Maybe I do)---should you believe that I do---personal message me and then together we can get to the root of it!!! hugs and blessings to all- Connie