Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    09-15-2018 01:28 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Trying to understand the cost

Hi, everyone. I'm brand new here and am looking into having the Sleeve surgery. My insurance won't cover but I have been blessed with two amazing friends who are helping me fund the process. Now, I have to choose a program. Part of that choice - though not the main driver - is to understand the full cost I'm looking at.

I've found it difficult to get good clarity on that. Any tips or resources you would recommend to help me gain a full picture?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Trying to understand the cost

I don't know where you live but I'm in Australia and paid $6000 but I do have very good top insurance cover

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi. I'm in New Zealand and my surgery cost $20,000.00 NZD. I was self pay - no insurance.
    If you let us know where you are based then I'm sure someone will be along to help out soon.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/25/2018
    Last Activity
    06-21-2020 05:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 69 Times in 41 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

About $12k for the top guy in South Texas all self pay. Have saved a lot on food though since I can have a meal I used to have last one sitting last 3-6 meals.

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Hi, I was self pay and went to Tj Mexico and paid 3,600$ for everything except plane tickets. I received outstanding care and wouldn’t go anywhere else. My surgeon was Dr Almanza. I had no complications and my results have been incredible. I feel the care I received in Mexico was better than care I’ve had in the states with my insurance. I’m happy to answer any questions. 073AEB26-A6CA-4BFA-88DB-B428F7D69700.jpegBD8A01F6-C072-4E10-9CBE-0BBA6ACDBDF2.jpegD3C00326-FDE2-4558-B1D0-53BFD3C8B1DA.jpeg
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks for the responses so far. I am in central PA. One place here is $23000 for everything (pre and post op appointments, surgery, etc. Another is $30000 JUST for the surgery!!

Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat73 View Post
    Thanks for the responses so far. I am in central PA. One place here is $23000 for everything (pre and post op appointments, surgery, etc. Another is $30000 JUST for the surgery!!
    The US will be way higher and you will receive less care. If you go to Mexico you will fill out a lot of paperwork and they will evaluate your medical records and determine if your a good candidate before they schedule your surgery. If your approved you will fly down the day before and have pre-op physical. Then you will be given a time for surgery. You will spend one night in the hospital and if you are stable you will be transferred to the hotel we’re you will be under the care of a doctor and have nurses a round the clock. You will be given IV antibiotics for three days and other meds and fluids on day two. The nurse will do your dressing changes and bring your meds and nutrition for the days your there. 5 days and 4 nights. If you have surgery in the states you will go home the next day and be on your own. Doesn’t make sense to pay those higher prices when you can pay much less and get fabulous care. I was nervous to go out of the country and put it off but when I did my homework and talked to people who went to my surgeon or other providers in Mexico they all had great things to say. They truly have figured out how to give outstanding care without degrading the care. Some of the doctors have attended school in the US and they buy medical supplies from Baxter a huge medical supplies company in the States. We felt safe while there and I plan to return for some plastic surgery next. My doctor practices in a brand new hospital and it as a hotel attached to it. There were multiple women traveling by them selves and did fine. You will spend some time in a group setting and won’t feel alone. Best decision I ever made. Saved my life and turned it completely around. I was able to attend and graduate from climbing school. Before surgery I could barely climb a flight a stairs. Good luck
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

11. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tamera2 View Post
    The US will be way higher and you will receive less care. If you go to Mexico you will fill out a lot of paperwork and they will evaluate your medical records and determine if your a good candidate before they schedule your surgery. If your approved you will fly down the day before and have pre-op physical. Then you will be given a time for surgery. You will spend one night in the hospital and if you are stable you will be transferred to the hotel we’re you will be under the care of a doctor and have nurses a round the clock. You will be given IV antibiotics for three days and other meds and fluids on day two. The nurse will do your dressing changes and bring your meds and nutrition for the days your there. 5 days and 4 nights. If you have surgery in the states you will go home the next day and be on your own. Doesn’t make sense to pay those higher prices when you can pay much less and get fabulous care. I was nervous to go out of the country and put it off but when I did my homework and talked to people who went to my surgeon or other providers in Mexico they all had great things to say. They truly have figured out how to give outstanding care without degrading the care. Some of the doctors have attended school in the US and they buy medical supplies from Baxter a huge medical supplies company in the States. We felt safe while there and I plan to return for some plastic surgery next. My doctor practices in a brand new hospital and it as a hotel attached to it. There were multiple women traveling by them selves and did fine. You will spend some time in a group setting and won’t feel alone. Best decision I ever made. Saved my life and turned it completely around. I was able to attend and graduate from climbing school. Before surgery I could barely climb a flight a stairs. Good luck
    I've heard many times that it is excellent care in Mexico. Tamera is a shining example. If I was in America I probably would have gone that route. I know that there is the concern of not being there for follow up care but it is a pretty safe surgery and emergency departments would treat you if there was a problem. It's worth some thought :-)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

The Mexico option is intriguing. There is such a stigma about it and I'm not sure how to overcome that. But it's intriguing nonetheless. What about all the tests and bloodwork etc that is required pre-op here in the states? And the psych eval? Does any of that happen with the Mexico option?

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Jessica F
    Surgery date
    01/25/2019
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-07-2019 10:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 15 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat73 View Post
    The Mexico option is intriguing. There is such a stigma about it and I'm not sure how to overcome that. But it's intriguing nonetheless. What about all the tests and bloodwork etc that is required pre-op here in the states? And the psych eval? Does any of that happen with the Mexico option?
    I plan on having mine done in Mexico in Jan. I know they do all of the pre-op stuff the day before. Labs, EKG, ect. Not sure about the psych eval.
    I have 2 friends that went there......fabulos experience.

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I know my surgeon's office charges $13,500 just for the sleeve. I think there are additional costs associated with the overnight hospital stay and you'd pay for the pre op testing as well. With my insurance I had to pay 50% of the sleeve price and 10% of my hospital stay. I also had to go through 6 months of supervised weight loss visits. I love my surgeon but could have done it quicker and cheaper in Mexico. That is just my 2 cents.