Dr. Yasar OZDENKAYA
    Last Activity
    07-03-2020 02:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Question Worries for next months

Hello,
    It's been 14 days. I had a feeling like i'm not free. I mean not now but for next months. People always talk "don't eat solid and liquid, don't do this don't do that don't lift much".. It feels like i won't ever going to be normal. Like i can't explain well because my english is not good. I don't want to think about my stomach all the time.. What if i'm in friends house or at party etc, i eat a little bit food i wanted to drink some alcohol a little.. Or what if i wanted to drink a little coke with my slice of pizza, will i puke instantly ? People talking so sure about everything and it scares me. May be i wanted tumble or jump at trampoline, should i worry about my stomach can get hurt or something ?

This questions are for 2+ months later, ofc i won't do extreme sports now..

I wanted to know how you guys living, doing things, sport, eating ? Thanks

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member simplyseahorse's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/11/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Motamarry
    Last Activity
    10-17-2019 08:50 AM
    Said "Thanks" 90 Times
    Was Thanked 126 Times in 95 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 735 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Worries for next months

It is going to take more than 2 weeks or 4 weeks to start to feel normal. It is major surgery, and I have learned that our body needs time to heal, and our mind also needs time to relearn some things. I just had my surgery a month ago, so I am no expert, but I am a little past where you are now. I am eating soft food with no problem. My surgeon said I could try whatever foods I felt comfortable with, but I am not comfortable trying anything much other than the soft foods right now. I had a LOT of problems with nausea and vomiting before I left the hospital, so maybe I am more cautious, but it will be a while for me before I even WANT to try alcohol, pizza, and I hope to be done with soda for good (it was my weakness, and I have lived without it for 8 weeks now).

Everyone is different, and all of the surgeons have different recommendations.

I am a Registered Dietitian/Nutritionist but I have never practiced in the areas of bariatrics or weight loss. I am happy to offer ideas or tips, but please follow your own Nutritionist's advice - she is the expert in the area.

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

My life is 100% normal now. I guess the difference is I never worried about anything, I just stuck with the program and was thrilled to see the pounds fall off and the energy return. It was SO MUCH FUN!

I can do any physical activity, probably about 95% more than most of the 60 something ladies out there! I lift weights, climb mountains, ride bike, ski, everything. My doctor cleared me for all physical actives at 2 weeks, but I was somewhat athletic before surgery.

I have a piece of pizza now and then and typically one soda a day. (I know, the soda is not good for me, but it doesn't stretch my stomach, I have total restriction after almost 5 years). I drink alcohol sometimes.

The only difference is I was obese, now I'm a normal BMI. I was miserable, now I'm over-the-moon happy. I eat smaller meals, but am just as satisfied with less as when I used to stuff my face with anything and everything. Now I eat how my mom has eaten her entire life, and she has never weighed over 110 pounds.

6. Said thanks:

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

My life is also 100% normal now. I just eat very small meals... generally seafood and veg. I occasionally eat a cracker and cheese and olives and a half a glass of red wine. I don't miss out on anything but I have always been a pretty healthy eater ( no junk food or crap) I just used to eat much bigger portions. I think the trick with this game is to learn how to eat excellent nutritious food and love it. learn to cook amazingly well and choose the very nicest of everything (it won't be expensive as you cant eat much... example: yesterday I got a piece of delicious fish for $1.97 and a zucchini for $1 and a lemon for 50c... I spiralled the zucchini and added lemon juice and fresh ginger and chilli and olive oil and stir fried the quickly and pan fried the fish... a delicious meal that fed 2 of us with leftover zucchini for around $4. Healthy eating does not have to be expensive. Love yourself enough to learn the cooking skills and buy delicious foods. I also had a half glass of red wine and a square of darkest chocolate :-)
    I went back to the gym at 8 weeks and built back up to full fitness very quickly :-)
    Give your tummy some good food and you won't go wrong. In terms of exercise, do it, and listen to your body.

Name
    Lisa
    Surgery date
    09/04/2017
    Surgeon
    Stephanie Ulmer
    Last Activity
    05-24-2021 09:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 797 Times
    Was Thanked 909 Times in 702 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 750 Times
    Blog Entries

"It feels like i won't ever going to be normal"
    I guess it comes down to how you define normal. My normal now is very different to my normal before surgery. My normal now is feeling great, having lots of energy, buying clothes in sizes I have only ever dreamt about and eating small tasty nutritious meals. I can do so much more now and am happier than I have been in a very long time.
    As the others have said as the weeks/months go on you will find that you will be able to eat other foods - but you may not want to. I have had 2 glasses of alcohol since my surgery and while they were ok and didn't make me feel unwell I just don't fancy drinking anymore. I do however enjoy an occasional ice cream - very very occasionally - and a very small amount satisfies me. These days I find that food like pizza etc just doesn't have the same appeal nor does it taste as good as I remember.
    When I am out with friends or at a party no-one is at all interested in (or notices) what I am eating or drinking. With regard to activities - I wouldn't hesitate to jump on a trampoline now - before surgery there is no way you would get me on one -in case I broke it! ;-)
    You will find out what works best for you. Hang in there. It will get better and you will be just fine.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

In time you will get back to normal. I am 19 months out and I run, weight lift, drink alcohol occasionally, go out with friends...I don't drink soda, though unless I have one small sip of my kids. Life is a little different but overall it is GREAT!!! Things will get better and better each day.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Özgür
    Surgery date
    06/28/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Yasar OZDENKAYA
    Last Activity
    07-03-2020 02:29 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 7 Times in 5 Posts