Dr. Paul Enochs
    Last Activity
    06-09-2018 04:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default My fear about the gastric sleeve with DS

Hi everyone,

I have just begun my journey. I learned that my insurance will cover the procedure and now I am just waiting to get everything tested and approved so it may take about six months. I need to loose between 100-120 pounds. I know that its a lot of weight. I know I can loose the weight. I just worry about what I am going to look like once I have lost a lot of the weight. I am 48 years old and I fear that I will have all this excess skin hanging and what is my chest going to look like after this. I have always had a rounded full figured body and I like that I have a more than ample size chest. What happens if I loose all this weight and then instead of having nice breasts I having just sagging sacks of skin. Some of you make think I am being really silly but this is a real concern for myself. Now I know why I need to loose the weight, I want to be around a long time to see my children and future grandchildren and have a good life for myself. Has anyone else had these concerns?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Michael P Choi
    Last Activity
    04-30-2023 09:47 AM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 18 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Re: My fear about the gastric sleeve with DS

Of course!! That's not silly at all. After all, one of the reasons we want to lose the weight is to LOOK GOOD I would recommend a few things, one is that you should wear a supportive uplifting bra while you lose the weight, and then wait and see! I have had augmentation surgery before the sleeve so I lost 70 lbs and my cup size never changed and I would have been upset if it had. My point, wait and see and if you don't get the results you want, get a boob job!! Losing the weight and your health is #1 of course, but hell yeah you have the right to worry about your girls <3

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Junebuggirl5's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/13/2018
    Surgeon
    Dr. Paul Enochs
    Last Activity
    06-09-2018 04:32 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for the encouragement. I need to take one step at a time, hope reconstruction afterwards will be covered.

I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    04-27-2019 09:56 AM
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Was Thanked 1,179 Times in 902 Posts
    Blog Entries

June, I have always been on the large chesed size and I am hoping they bugger off to to be honest! I think exercise is the one thing that will make the heap of difference to your body as a whole after the surgery. I think if you just do it without exercise you can end up looking like a deflated balloon, but with exercise you can look pretty good. You might have a bit of lose skin but thats what good underwear was made for :-)

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Being over 100 pounds overweight looks a whole lot worse than some saggy skin that will probably hide under small sized clothes. So to me it does sound silly. Exercise will tone your skin and genetics plays a part. Some people use creams, others compression garments, and some have plastic surgery. Totally your call, but any of those choices are better than being obese.

I exercise and have some saggy skin around my middle, but my arms and legs look pretty good. Under pants or a dress my stomach looks flat. I guess if I wanted to wear a bikini I would have a tummy tuck, but I'm perfectly happy with how things are. (I'm way too old for a bikini.) I don't even do the compression garments as those I've tried are so uncomfortable. I went from about a 42C to a 34B bra, and I think I look much better with the 34B. I'm in proportion with the rest of my new body.

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    Being over 100 pounds overweight looks a whole lot worse than some saggy skin that will probably hide under small sized clothes. So to me it does sound silly. Exercise will tone your skin and genetics plays a part. Some people use creams, others compression garments, and some have plastic surgery. Totally your call, but any of those choices are better than being obese.

I exercise and have some saggy skin around my middle, but my arms and legs look pretty good. Under pants or a dress my stomach looks flat. I guess if I wanted to wear a bikini I would have a tummy tuck, but I'm perfectly happy with how things are. (I'm way too old for a bikini.) I don't even do the compression garments as those I've tried are so uncomfortable. I went from about a 42C to a 34B bra, and I think I look much better with the 34B. I'm in proportion with the rest of my new body.
    I'm with you sraebaur, I don't think I would ever bother having plastic surgery, plus I favour gorgeous 1950s style one pieces :-)
    Best of luck June, I'm sure you won't regret a second :-)

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Stacey03 View Post
    I'm with you sraebaur, I don't think I would ever bother having plastic surgery, plus I favour gorgeous 1950s style one pieces :-)
    Best of luck June, I'm sure you won't regret a second :-)
    We've had plastic surgeons speak at support group at least twice, and that incision scares me to death! Not to mention I think I look better than their after photos. Talk about risk for infection being sliced from hip to hip! I'm happy covering my little bit of flabby skin with clothes.

Name
    Edie
    Surgery date
    11/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Phil lockie
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 854 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    We've had plastic surgeons speak at support group at least twice, and that incision scares me to death! Not to mention I think I look better than their after photos. Talk about risk for infection being sliced from hip to hip! I'm happy covering my little bit of flabby skin with clothes.
    Me too!

Name
    Dale
    Surgery date
    11/14/2017
    Surgeon
    Kathrine Lamond
    Last Activity
    03-18-2019 09:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 615 Times
    Was Thanked 416 Times in 264 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 141 Times

I'm at the beginning of this journey but one of my early joys is not having my bra dig into my flesh so much. I haven't lost much weight but I'm definitely losing inches everywhere and I'm already feeling like my boobs look more defined instead of just being part of my rolls of fat. I'm also 64 so have given up any thoughts of wearing bikinis.

Beginning weight: 265
    Weight at surgery: 255
    M1: 240 (-15)
    M2: 232(-8)
    M3: 227 (-5)
    M4: 221 (-6)
    M5: 215 (-6)
    M6: 210 (-5)

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgeon
    Dr. Katherine Lamond
    Last Activity
    06-27-2018 10:29 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

This is real. I'm the same age as you and have pale, thin, sensitive skin. I lost 112 pounds a few years ago (gained it all back, that's why I'm here) and I went from a 42H to a 36D, only really I had nothing. I joked that I rolled 'em up to stuff them in my bra. It's different for everyone - I think if you have denser breasts you might fare better - but I will be seriously considering a breast lift/augmentation when/if I get to that point again. I had saggy skin everywhere but my arms and breasts bothered me the most. Now I will say that I didn't keep the weight off long enough to see if it got any better on its own - that will be an experiment for my current journey!

Gastric Sleeve Member Kimsterama's Avatar
    Surgery date
    10/06/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Hidalgo
    Last Activity
    05-29-2021 10:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 71 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I've lost 49 lbs in a little over 2.5 months. My skin around my waist has shrunk with the weight lost so far. My breasts have gone from a 42DDD to a 38DD. So that is not bad. Still in the D's! I don't mind losing weight there either. They were just too large with all the weight gained. I do not plan on doing plastics whatsoever regardless of how my body reformed after the weight lost. I still have 41 lbs to go to my goal! Best decision ever by the way! It's the only way that the weight came off. I tried dieting for years! :-)

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I am 4'11", 44, and have lost 99 lbs. I used to wear a 34 DD (sometimes they would overflow). I have some hangy skin. Not too bad and it continues to get less noticeable with time and exercise/strength training. My boobs look fine in a bra but are a bit saggy without one. I don't care, though. I still look way better than I did when I was a 41.8 BMI. I may consider a boob job down the line. As for skin surgery, not needed in my opinion. And on top of that, I am so much happier and healthier. I do things now that I could not do before. And I love my sleeved life.