Surgeon
    Dr Kumar
    Last Activity
    10-23-2017 06:36 PM
    Said "Thanks" 60 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 9 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default 5 weeks post op How much do you eat??

Hi everyone I'm almost 5 weeks post op now and I've lost 16 kg/35lb.
    Had a hiccup a few days after I got home when I had a serious bout of Diverticulitis  Put me back in hospital for a week.
    I recovered quickly and was given the ok to go on a family cruise for a week, surgeon had me on smooth foods by then so I had plenty to choose from onboard,unfortunately I discovered I don't have sea legs lol.
    lucky I wasn't eating much food so there wasn't much to come back up!
    Anyway we've been home a week now and I'm trying to settle into a routine trying out eating times and regimes.
    I've tried eating a couple of teaspoons every two hours ( 6-7 times a day)
    This isn't working for me so I'm going back to 3 meals and a couple of snacks.
    I've been using a Bariatric Surgery book and have made protein balls and small salmon cakes, included crustless quiche, ehhs, thin slices of apple and tasty cheese, fish, soft veggies.i find that I get a heavy feeling in my stomach though.
    Hence my decision to change my eating times also thinking I will start having VLC protein drinks for breakfast, soft fruits and yoghurt for snacks and soft meals.
    My Q's is
    HOW MUCH DOES EVERYONE ELSE EAT FOR PORTION SIZE??
    HOW MUCH PROTEIN DRINK DO YOU HAVE FOR A SERVE??

Thx in advance for your replies today.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 5 weeks post op How much do you eat??

I was drinking the pre made protein drinks so whatever amount of ounces are in those. 11 I think? Anyways, it would take me a while at 5 weeks to get a full one down. As for portions, back then I could eat maybe 3-5 bites of food. And that would take me a while. Kind of hard to remember now.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/25/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Kumar
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 60 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    I was drinking the pre made protein drinks so whatever amount of ounces are in those. 11 I think? Anyways, it would take me a while at 5 weeks to get a full one down. As for portions, back then I could eat maybe 3-5 bites of food. And that would take me a while. Kind of hard to remember now.
    Hi Christie,
    I managed a couple of sips of Optifast VLC drink this morning and a nibble on a piece of chicken and a baby tomato for lunch.

Barry took me shopping and I've stocked up on yoghurts, cottage Cheese, baby bell cheeses, smoked salmon, dried fruits, nuts, strawberries and bananas some frozen meals for Barry that I can have a couple of teaspoons of plus V8 juices. So I think I'm pretty well prepared.

Unfortunately I can't tolerate the protein drinks or powders! I just threw out the protein balls I made lol.

Can't eat my favourite food anymore either 😱 Chocolate 🍫

Thinking positive..... 👍

Surgery date
    07/12/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ma
    Last Activity
    10-17-2017 03:53 PM
    Said "Thanks" 766 Times
    Was Thanked 123 Times in 87 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 532 Times

There are some protein drinks that don't use milk that might be more palatable to you. I like the Protein 2 0 protein water. I buy it on Amazon since I live in a very small town and it's almost impossible to find close to where I live. You might give that a try, it makes it easier to get your protein requirements in.

As far as serving size, my nutritionist says no more than 1/3 cup per meal, total, and that's about all I can eat. I'm about 10 1/2 weeks post-op.
    Linda 51

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/25/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Kumar
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 60 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Linda51 View Post
    There are some protein drinks that don't use milk that might be more palatable to you. I like the Protein 2 0 protein water. I buy it on Amazon since I live in a very small town and it's almost impossible to find close to where I live. You might give that a try, it makes it easier to get your protein requirements in.

As far as serving size, my nutritionist says no more than 1/3 cup per meal, total, and that's about all I can eat. I'm about 10 1/2 weeks post-op.
    Hi Linda,
    Thx for your reply.
    I've seen the protein water drinks in the supermarket so I might get a couple and freeze them in ice cube trays ant see how I go.
    Congratulations on your weight loss so far. Hope everything is going ok for you.

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/25/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Kumar
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 60 Times
    Blog Entries

Congratulations on your awesome weight loss Christie.
    You must feel amazing with all the positive changes in yourself.
    Well Done

10. Said thanks:

Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jan View Post
    Hi Christie,
    I managed a couple of sips of Optifast VLC drink this morning and a nibble on a piece of chicken and a baby tomato for lunch.

Barry took me shopping and I've stocked up on yoghurts, cottage Cheese, baby bell cheeses, smoked salmon, dried fruits, nuts, strawberries and bananas some frozen meals for Barry that I can have a couple of teaspoons of plus V8 juices. So I think I'm pretty well prepared.

Unfortunately I can't tolerate the protein drinks or powders! I just threw out the protein balls I made lol.

Can't eat my favourite food anymore either 😱 Chocolate 🍫

Thinking positive..... 👍
    I would stay away from dried fruits. It's a lot of sugar. Fresh fruit would be a better option, although I was told to stay away from fruits in the beginning and only focus on protein and veggies. I would eat Oikos Triple Zero Greek yogurt, non fat lattes either from Starbucks or made at home with Fa!rlife non fat milk (higher protein and lactose free) and espresso, tuna/chicken/egg salad, sandwich meat, any meat really, creamed soups made with the Fa!rlife milk, protein shakes (I could only really tolerate EAS Advant Edge low carb shakes), etc. I did not add breads or fruits back until after I hit goal.

12. Said thanks:

Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Jan View Post
    Congratulations on your awesome weight loss Christie.
    You must feel amazing with all the positive changes in yourself.
    Well Done
    I am thankful for my sleeve. I am only 4'11" so 95 lbs on me is huge. I can fit my whole body in one leg of my old pants. I may have to post a picture for kicks. LOL. I followed my NUT's advice to a T. Limited my carbs until after I hit goal. Since I could only eat a small amount it was easy. Most of the times once I ate my protein I had no room for veggies. But those were my focus. Protein and veggies.

14. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    10-10-2018 06:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 78 Times
    Was Thanked 194 Times in 158 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 259 Times

Try the Core lite protein drinks, you can find them at 7 -11 or Shop-rite is you have those in you area. I have also been using Unjury I found online as I have a difficult time with the Whey aftertaste. I have also had an issue with Lactose, so not yogurt for me and not processed cheese. My NUT. says 2 bites of protein to every veg or carbs. No room for either but I have been trying to get some veggies in for the fiber. It will get better and some days re better than others.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/25/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Kumar
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 60 Times
    Blog Entries

Thx for the info Alynn.
    I managed a couple of teaspoons of cottage cheese and 1/2 a baby tomato for lunch.
    I've also got some V8 vegetable juice to sip on a couple of times a day it's got some fibre in it.
    I'm going to roast some veggies on the webber too.
    I can eat two teaspoons of baked beans for my breakfast. I can manage Greek yogurt but nothing made with milk.
    Haven't had any coffee since pre op ��
    It's amazing how our tastes change eh!
    Do you still get tired easy after 18 weeks?
    Has the amt you can eat increased by much?

Your over 1/2 way towards your goal already, well done.

Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 78 Times

Happy Jan,

My energy level is much better, but I have my days! I am going to try the V8. But things change form day to day....something will taste good one day and not the next. The same with eating, you can eat something that goes down one-day and the next you can't sallow it. I have also found that when I have t a protein shake in the morning, I find it difficult to eat the rest of the day. So I am starting to have that in the evening. I will let you know how that goes.

Have you had to buy any new clothes yet? I have been buying things on sale form stores with a great return policies, so i can get things that may fit and limit my spending. But I need clothes for work....UGH.

19. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/25/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Kumar
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 60 Times
    Blog Entries

Alynn I bought some cheap white 3/4 pants in a smaller size and they are getting a bit baggy so I may have to get some more if I can.
    I'm looking forward to buying small sizes off the rack.

I've decided to give the VLC protein drink the flick. Anything with sugar, some dairy or preservatives seems to go straight through me so I've decided to stay with all natural foods, meat, eggs, cheese, fish and beans for now. When my stomach can tolerate a bit more I will include fresh vegetables too.

I've been feeling a bit over it all last couple of days and fed up with trying so many different foods. So I'm back to 3 very small meals a day for now and it seams to allow me to fit in more fluids.

I guess it's all trial and error especially seeing I don't seem to have a very good NUT like you guys, mine just gave me handouts and names of books to buy.
    I've learnt heaps on here though that has helped me heaps

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

No clue, I just ate until full. And at 5 weeks, that didn't take much.

22. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    05/23/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ewing
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 78 Times

Happy Jan,

For info you just have to read...read....read! My surgeon office happens to be good with 2 NUT., I have met and a PA. They also run a support group, but there are so many varying opinions. Just as you can see form this forum, each person is told something different for pre-op to post-op depending on the practice. You have to find what works for you .... I sure you will be fine.

Blessings!

24. Said thanks:

Name
    Cale
    Surgery date
    09/27/2017
    Surgeon
    Ricks
    Last Activity
    11-14-2017 07:44 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 18 Posts

I managed a couple of teaspoons of cottage cheese and 1/2 a baby tomato for lunch.
    I've also got some V8 vegetable juice to sip on a couple of times a day it's got some fibre in it.
    I'm going to roast some veggies on the webber too.
    I can eat two teaspoons of baked beans for my breakfast. I can manage Greek yogurt but nothing made with milk.
    Well, I'm the newbie here and don't want to sound like a know it all in my first week post-op, but golly Moses!--that's not enough to feed a hamster. You won't lose weigh like that. Sounds to me like you're afraid to bust a staple or something. Your stomach can hold much more than you realize. Everybody has a different size stomach. They take about 3/4 of it during surgery. Maybe a bit more. Now I realize you're probably a small woman and I'm a 6'4" man, so my stomach is bigger than yours, but less than 1-week post-op I can down an 11-ounce shake with no problem. Not that I do it all in one gulp. I drink it over about 5 to 10 minutes though. But even the smallest woman should be able to get at least 5-ounces down in their first week. You're in your 5th week. It doesn't make sense that you're eating so little. I took off 117 pounds back in the 90's (without surgery). Trust me, if you don't eat enough, your body will enter that starvation mode people talk about and you won't lose much at all. The secret to weight loss is more in the exercise than it is the dieting. Good luck.