Amanda
    Surgeon
    Steven Bock
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Treats post-sleeve

Hello, I am trying to find out what snacks are common post-sleeve. I try and look for sites online that tell me but a lot of them tell me the ideal things.

And I'll be honest, I am sitting here going 'I doubt everyone who has the sleeve always makes that choice.' because from what I understand the sleeve is a tool along with the diet changes.

Like- do you still allow yourself a slice of birthday cake if you go to a party? Ice cream on a hot summer day?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Tamera Anderson
    Surgery date
    01/24/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-04-2024 03:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 440 Times
    Was Thanked 673 Times in 472 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,539 Times

Default Re: Treats post-sleeve

my snacks are usually carrots and hummus, fruit with a few nuts, small green salad, beef jerky and fruit, cottage cheese or string cheese. I will allow myself to have a small treat once in awhile after a hard workout but not routinely. Ive only had a few bites of cake twice and half of a child's ice cream twice. I don’t want to make that a habit Plus with cutting out most sugar it taste to sweet. After a strenuous hike every once in awile i like to eat a few french fries with a hamburger patty. Good luck and happy to answer any questions
    Highest weight- 288 / Wt at Surgery 268
    1 month 236 -29lbs 2 month 214 -22lbs 3 month 206 -08lbs 4 month 196 -10lbs 5 month 185 -11lbs 6 month 178 -7lbs 7 month 172 -6lbs 9mos -12lbs 156 13mos later wt.144lbs, Wt.138 -150lbs in 15mos

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

I eat 3 meals a day and one snack. My snack is usually a protein bar. It's still the only way I get to my protein goal. I do allow something like an ice cream if I'm out with my family but I can't eat that much of it, get full and throw it out. My family generally eats low carb/keto. I do have things like sugar free chocolate muffins and sugar free cheesecake cupcakes in my freezer for my 9 year old to take to bday parties and things like that. On occasion I'll have a cheesecake or half a muffin (they make me very full).

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Sarcastic_Bard's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vierra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 448 Times

I definitely can't eat an entire slice of cake at this stage, but if I'm feeling it I won't deny myself a few bites shared with my husband or kids. That's the big thing is if I feel like a treat food, I don't deny myself, and just share it; my kids LOVE sharing with me because they know they will always get the lion's share. For the rare ice cream treat, it's usually a few bites of Halo Top or again, sharing a few bites with someone else.

I'm really in the habit now of eating mostly fuel foods, but I don't completely restrict myself from treat foods. I just put more thought into the decision before blindly chowing down like before, and share.

8. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

I have treats now that I am in maintenance. Mostly I make good choices but I can eat cake if I want to. I did for my birthday. When I was on vacation in Italy I had a scoop of Gelato almost every day. And I had a pastry almost every day. (Granted theirs are less sugary than American ones.) BUT...I knew I was going to "earn" those. I would walk the 2.5 miles round trip loop into town to get them. If not I would not have done it daily like that. AND.. I was on vacation and don't know when I will get back home again to enjoy those things. Now here in REAL life...I do eat treats. Small amounts in moderation. I weigh myself every day so I can see what my weight is doing. I can adjust accordingly. I can still easily lose at this phase and I am not trying to lose but maintain.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Amanda
    Surgeon
    Steven Bock
    Said "Thanks" 11 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Blog Entries

This is helping me out a lot, I admit, I was a bit worried about never being able to touch a sweet again. But it is good to see that it has to be just that- a treat instead of a daily occurrence unless somehow I earn it.