Dr Holover
    Last Activity
    10-21-2020 07:59 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 6 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default How often do i eat?

I am sipping all day and drinking protein shakes like the doctor said. I had some pureed chicken salad earlier. But its only tiny bits of everything. How often should i be doing this. If i just take in these little bits of protein i will never get the liquids or protein in. Am i supposed to be eating and drinking all day?

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: How often do i eat?

Just try to sip as much as possible in the beginning. Protein shakes and water. I wasn't allowed pureed foods until after 14 days on liquids. Your surgeon may have different post op requirements as they seem to vary greatly from one person to the next. I can tell you that I couldn't barely get my protein/fluids in in the early days. I would sip as frequently as I could. You should not be eating all day long. They say initially 3 meals and 2 snacks. I had to just sip all day long to get anywhere near my goal. You will need to be careful not to get into the bad habit of grazing.

Name
    Sandy
    Surgery date
    03/24/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-26-2019 05:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 120 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 104 Times
    Blog Entries

Hi Michele, Congratulations on the start of your new you! Something In your post made me go Hmmm, I am a little shocked that your eating chicken salad already, pureed or not. If I am correct you just had surgery on the 29th, right? All you should be doing is liquids, protein shakes and broth. The first couple of weeks is extremely critical to your recovery and one wrong move with food can cause a leak so I am very surprised your surgeon allowed chicken at all. Maybe the rules have changed because it's been 2 1/2 years since I had my sleeve done so maybe I'm wrong but I know the first two weeks for me was liquids only. Aside from that don't stress about the protein and make yourself nuts over it. Is it very important to try to get it all in YES, but all you can do is try your best. Unjury makes great protein powder and it's very high in protein, they even have a chicken soup which is creamy and very tasty. So to answer your question, No you are not supposed to be eating anything yet, again (as far as I was told) but you are supposed to be drinking non stop. Dehydration can be a major issue with allot of people in the beginning so try to get as much water in as possible and then on top of that drink as much as you can of protein shakes mixed with water. I hope this helps and if you are really questioning what your supposed to do I would call your Surgeons office. Good Luck!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/29/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Holover
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

I called the doctor. They have me on pureed food. Liquids, shakes to get the protein. Maybe i will try some broth. I am doing the best i can.

Name
    Sandy
    Surgery date
    03/24/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-26-2019 05:45 PM
    Said "Thanks" 49 Times
    Was Thanked 120 Times in 91 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 104 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm sure you are and believe me I know how hard it can be. Like I said I am just really surprised they allow real food to be pureed this early in the process because I wasn't allowed anything but clear liquid the first two weeks but I will say the weight just melted off. I personally couldn't stomach the look of real food for the longest time so I couldn't imagine getting anything down so soon. Anyway just take it one day at a time and give yourself a little slack. You have to remember you just had a MAJOR surgery and the struggle is real in the beginning for sure. I could barely get any protein shakes down in the beginning either so your pretty lucky you can handle that. And try the Unjury, you can go online and order sample packets which is great if you don't like it this way you didn't spend allot of money. I also found it to be one of the much less expensive proteins out there. Unjury is made specifically for weight loss surgery patients so there is a definite science behind it. Some people hate it but it really was the only one out of 20 I tried that didn't make me gag. Anyway just relax and get plenty of rest and try to sip, sip, sip...Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    07/07/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-13-2023 05:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 77 Times in 57 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times

I really don't think chicken salad should be eaten this early.. I would double check with your doctor about this. Ask specifically if you should be eating chicken salad. It's not about being able to eat something.. It's about possibly causing damage to you new stomach.

PG

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    08/29/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr Holover
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks but i used a food processor. It was like a paste.

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Michele43 View Post
    Am i supposed to be eating and drinking all day?
    My response may go against the general consensus...if you aren't hungry, don't force yourself to eat.

You really shouldn't be eating and drinking all day. You have more than enough stored fat to fuel your body's activities for several months, so malnutrition isn't a concern.

If necessary, add more protein powder to your shakes to reach your protein goals. Also, keep in mind that protein shakes count toward your daily fluid goals.

However, eating and drinking all day is grazing, which is not a good habit for those who have had bariatric surgery.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

11. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Early on (first 2 weeks) I was only on liquids, so basically protein shakes, water, broth, sugar free popsicles, etc. I had a protein and liquid minimum I had to meet. So yes, I was basically drinking most of the day, because I could only take little sips. This isn't grazing, grazing would be if you are eating all day long a month or two from now! Right now just worry about your protein and liquids.

I'm also shocked about the little bit of chicken, but obviously every doctor is different.