Surgeon
    Dr. Burne
    Last Activity
    04-08-2012 06:48 PM
    Said "Thanks" 112 Times
    Was Thanked 39 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 27 Times
    Blog Entries

Exclamation *INFORMATIVE* Starting to wish I had sleeved... (had bypass surgery)

Hey gang.

Here I am, a week out from my hernia and scarring surgery that was exactly TWO weeks after my gastric bypass surgery. A total of about 1 month of agony.

Although I've lost about 30 lbs, I have trouble eating and am going to constantly worry about if I'm going to have a hernia or not as the doctor said i'm now prone to these forever... (NOW he tells me) Im really pissed and feel like crap.

Do youself a favor...even if you think you need discipline, get the sleeve. I was also on another board about a person that also had a hernia 6 months post bypass and said they had to have a drain in their side for a whole MONTH to empty out the bile from the 'old' stomach which is still left in the body.

I hope my story gets better but I want to share with you all in hopes of helping you make a choice that bets suits your needs and lifestyle. As it stands, this is not suiting mine.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Hippy Heart's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/09/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Burne
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 112 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: *INFORMATIVE* Starting to wish I had sleeved... (had bypass surgery)

and P.S. does anyone know how I can get this Damned lillyticker off my page? I went to log into their site and it said I never signed up! grrr...

Nevermind... I figured it out

Name
    Grace
    Surgery date
    08/22/2011
    Surgeon
    Portsmouth Regional Hosp
    Said "Thanks" 919 Times
    Was Thanked 1,296 Times in 1,005 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5,008 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: *INFORMATIVE* Starting to wish I had sleeved... (had bypass surgery)

Jeez, sorry this is such a hard time (hug)....
    Hope you are able to rest up and feel better...
    To get rid of the ticker, go into your signature. The html version should be there. Just delete it and save your signature. Hope it works.
    Best NSV - fitting on a kid's amusement park ride with my 4 yr old grandson!
    CFIDS =Chronic Fatigue Syndrome) Also dx with post-bariatric reactive hypoglycemia; and chronic gastritis (both sleeve complications). Permanently disabled.
    Start weight 335, down to 218, up during gastritis. Have accepted there is no way to lose it with my hypoglycemia. Current weight 260. Currently doing 10 day sleeve reset and determined to get back down to my post surgical weight or close to it.

Gastric Sleeve Member Dee Leshuz's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2012
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 579 Times in 506 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times

HH, do you mean that the RnY caused the hernia or did it exist beforehand?
    Starting weight: 255
    Pre-op weight: 228
    Surgery date: 3/14/2012

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

Hi, I am sorry you are going through this. I hope that over time you will experience good success, acheive your weightloss goals and be able to embrace your decision. I feel that once a decision this big is made, it is best if you can embrace it and not live live with regrets.

I had the lapband 10 years ago - and i can assure you that I have had many times of regret, but i also look at it as a learning experience. I had that band removed just a week ago and found out that it has taken a bit to recover from... I think it was every bit as much of a recovery, maybe even MORE then having the band implanted.

A year ago, I met with a bariatric surgeon who recommended I convert to the gastric bypass. He told me that since I had failed with a restrictive only procedure, i would not likely do well with the sleeve. I could never get comfortable with that so i found a new doctor who is more of an advocate of the sleeve. I am decided on the sleeve, but i have to tell you that I would much rather NOT have to have another WLS, but given my comorbidities, I need to do something. I am waiting several more months. for me, having the history of a failed WLS, I am wanting to be really, super absolutley sure (or as close to that as possible)
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

8. Said thanks:

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Rae
    Surgery date
    09/28/2011
    Surgeon
    Hoehn
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 212 Times in 192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 132 Times

I am so sorry! What causes the hernias?

Surgery date
    09/09/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Burne
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 112 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey guys! Thanks for the feedback and hugs ... first and foremost, I put on my smarty pants and figured out the ticker thing

The hernia was actually caused by the bypass. As you know, your stomach is cut into a smaller portion leaving the larger portion re routed to the large intestines to produce digestive juices... This leaves a lot of the intestines confused and out of place. What happened to me was that my smaller intestines thought it would be really cool to try to scoot themselves all the way up to the hole (made by the surgeon as part of the process) the intestines then went THROUGH this whole (I guess they just wiggle their way all over) and got kinked up. At this time, I was unable to eat anything. As it got worse, I was vomiting profusely and finally decided it was time to visit the ER... four in the morning... via taxi It was HORRIBLE!! They tried to give me contrast liquid to see if there were leaks but I couldnt keep that down even after anti vomiting meds. So they operated. The doc said it was a good thing I came in when I did. Hernias, if not corrected promptly, can burst and cause SERIOUS if not deadly internal damage.

Went to the doc yesterday because of the pain (yeah, I'm not chancing this again) he said it may be acid so they put me on some stronger pepci stuff.

So... there's that:/ get the sleeve

Feeling better today. I think i got a little appetite after the doctor told me I wasn't going to die... However, he said that I may have the hernia again once I get more of this weight off... yay... something to look forward too

on a happy note... mY BABY GIRL IS WALKING!!

Gastric Sleeve Member ElleMarie's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Ortiz
    Last Activity
    09-25-2013 10:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 202 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 46 Times

I'm so sorry Hippy Heart. Hopefully this will be the end of your complications and you will begin to reap the benefits of the surgery instead of what you have been going through. I think in life we all go through some regrets and what ifs, yours just unfortunately played out to some pretty bad complications. We can never know the future but looking back I am sure you do wish things were different for your recovery. Sending warm thoughts and prayers out to you for healing and I hope you get a chance to embrace your decision soon and get excited about this whole new life that is waiting out there for you.

My hubby had RNY done too but he was lucky to not have any bad complications. I just didn't choose that surgery honestly because I could not afford it. But I am happy with my choice.

I know you DREAD maybe having another hernia BUT it might actually get you a bit of plastics on your insurance companies dime, I hope it will work out to be a favorable thing if/when you have another one.

YEAH...baby girl walking!!!!!!!!!! Now time to put EVERYTHING out of her way...good luck!! ((hugs))
    God gave us people to love and things to use, not things to love and people to use.

Visit my blog at: http://laurieunapologetically.blogspot.com/

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Dee Leshuz's Avatar
    Surgery date
    03/15/2012
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 579 Times in 506 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 165 Times

Damn, HH, that sounds hideous! So glad you went to the ER and are doing better now even though it will probably be awhile before you're at 100%.
    Starting weight: 255
    Pre-op weight: 228
    Surgery date: 3/14/2012

15. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/26/2011
    Last Activity
    01-04-2015 03:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Oh my..that sounds awful. Sorry you are having these problems. I also worried that "restriction only" was going to be tough because I am a sweet eater, but the whole stomach being changed around and all that worried me. It is a challange to eat healthly food as opposed to sweets but I have found I can eat treats and stay on track now with a smaller stomach to help me out. I hope things get easier for you. Keep us posted on your progress.

Surgery date
    09/09/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Burne
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 112 Times
    Blog Entries

Thanks so much everyone and cowgirljane, EXCELLENT advice! I may just be a little bitter right now about what I've been through, just sounds like the sleeve is a little easier... but then again, it totally depends on the individual.
    Best to us all and thanks so much for the words of encouragement