Surgeon
    Frenzel
    Last Activity
    02-01-2017 03:33 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Not enough

I'm 4 weeks out from my GS and I'm still having a problem with gettting all the protein and water in. I've tried the shakes, powder mixes and all that. The best protein shake I've found is the Ensure Enlive but even now that is making me ill. I can get more water in if I use a crystal light mix. I'm eating some regular food but not much. To complicate matters, I have a clot in my groin and abdomen making it hard to walk. I have zero appetite. And I'm gaining weight. I have to take a diuretic everyday bc of another medical condition and I'm trying to balance so I don't become dehydrated. My question is, I am so FULL after 3 bites of anything.... how to I train my stomach to accept more food without stretching it all out? I usually take a bite about every 5 minutes and I don't drink with food. I see people on here who eat 1200 cals a day.... on a good day, I get 450. Lol
    Any suggestions??

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Leslieann's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    leslie
    Surgery date
    01/05/2017
    Surgeon
    Shillingford
    Last Activity
    02-05-2019 07:55 PM
    Said "Thanks" 77 Times
    Was Thanked 88 Times in 76 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 41 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Not enough

Hi KiKi~ I'll be a month out on FEB5. I've also had a time getting in all my protein. I follow the rule nothing to drink 1/2 hr and 1/2 after you eat.

The only protein shake I can drink is the Premium and when I drink that I seem to get a stomach ache. So, I try to eat my required protein as hard as it is.
    Last night I had some refried beans and some shredded pork that was in this Mexican soup. Surprisingly, it was somewhat spicy and it didn't bother my stomach.

Usually after dinner I have to take Gas-X, which helps.

I guess we just keep on doing what we have to do and I know we can gradually increase our intake.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/29/2016
    Surgeon
    Frenzel
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Congratulations on the weight loss. Mine has stopped but I was also this weight for a long time so it maybe just a memory thing with my body. Since I have the blood clot I can't exercise.... I can barely walk. I have to use a wheelchair or Walker when we go somewhere. It's really hard. My water intake has gotten better. Just trying to find ways to get the protein in. Thank you for the reply. And spicy foods haven't seem to bother me much. I do take Rolaid's every night to control the acid while I'm sleeping. If I don't, I wake up feeling like I'm starving. Lol

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

Don't worry about all that right now. At this point, you do your best and that's all you can do. Trust us when we say it'll all change in a few short months. 1200 cals a day is for people 8 months and more post op, usually, sometimes even longer.

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193
    8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Yes I can remember 4 weeks vividly. First off, you may be on a stall and that is completely normal around weeks 3-5. It varies from person to person. Also, it can last a few days or a few weeks. I had a hard time getting in my protein and water at that phase as well. I still can't eat a lot and I am 12 weeks out. I don't track my calories but I just focus on getting my protein and water goals. And I make sure I am taking all my vitamins and supplements. For me the only shake that I could stand is the EAS Advant Edge. My nutritionist said that is a good one for bariatric patients. I only like the chocolate flavors. It has less protein than the Premier that a lot of people seem to like but that one always makes me feel queasy. So I would rather have 2 of the EAS and take my time. I can tell you on the days that I got closer to my protein goals are the times when my weight would drop. On my page I have some info on protein amounts in foods. It's in the pictures. It helped me tremendously to find alternatives to eating meats. For example, pumpkin seeds are high in protein and easy to nibble on. I also use the Atkins lift protein bars. I like the peanut butter chocolate ones. They are pretty tasty and low carb. So I keep those in my purse at all times. I keep one in a Ziploc baggie. I can take small nibbles throughout the day to help with my protein intake. I was told by my nutritionist that it is perfectly fine to consume my water using Crystal Light. I personally don't like it so I don't. But I have found that warm liquids were easier in the beginning. So I would make myself some berry flavored green tea with a little Splenda and sometimes lemon juice. Now I can drink water pretty easily but it seriously started like a week ago. You will get there.

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/11/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Forrester
    Last Activity
    03-24-2018 12:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 333 Times in 251 Posts

Don't worry about getting more in at this point. I'm 2.5 weeks out and I make sure i have a protein shake daily (premier, 30g protein). It takes me about an hour to have one. i'm on soft foods now and was told to have 3 "meals" a day and one snack (only if needed). One of those meals should be a shake. Tonight I had lentil soup. I had maybe 5 spoonfuls over 30 minutes. I carry my water with me constantly and sip all day long (except around meal time). Be patient and don't try to force more in. I was also told no eating between meals even at this stage. That's how things creep back down the line.

Surgery Day Weight 1/11: 300
    Month 1: -34 pounds, -25 inches

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

Kiki, that is not unusual. I had a very hard time getting in my protein for quite awhile. Just keep trying an find other methods. You can drink protein waters in place of waters. They work very well and also find some unflavored protein powder that you can add to food-like Unjury or BiPro. A month out for me and I think I was eating about 500-600 calories and most came from shakes and protein additives. It gets better, your stomach probably still has a fair amount of swelling. When you go for your one month follow up talk honestly to the doctor and nutritionist to make sure you are all on the same page.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/29/2016
    Surgeon
    Frenzel
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thanks for all the great advice!! Some of it I am already doing and some is new for me to try!!