Deb26
    Surgeon
    Mr Stephen Clifforth
    Last Activity
    04-11-2017 07:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default To have or to not have the Surgery!

Hi, to all fellow debaters out there. Interested to know how folks went after their surgeries? Are you seeing results? Are you happy with the decision that you made? How did you choose your surgeon? Did he/she provide adequate post op care? I'm from Hamilton, Victoria, Australia so would especially love to hear from anyone near where I live. Thanks folks.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: To have or to not have the Surgery!

I also debated but finally took the plunge. Best decision I ever made. My doctor is wonderful. I actually picked him because he was close and had great reviews. His pre op and post op care was top notch. There are a lot of adjustments to make. It's not a magic bullet. You have to work your sleeve. Make good choices. Follow rules. But the sleeve makes it easy to do those things. I've lost 24 lbs in 7 weeks. Prior to the sleeve it would've taken a year of strict dieting and long hours in the gym to get there. And the minute I stopped I would've packed it back on and then some. I know this works. I watched my sister go through this 5 years ago. She's at goal and happily maintaining. Ask any specific questions you have. Everyone here is happy to share their experiences.

4. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Here in the US all the surgeons have free informational clinics to attend. I'd start there. Do your research. Here we have "Centers of Excellence" where they have to pass many requirements, so I would choose one of them if you have anything like that.

As far as the surgery, it's a no-brainer. I went from a size 22 to 8 in no time. I have maintained my weight for over 2 years. There is no way to describe how much better my life is compared to three years ago. I've been trying to lose weight my entire life, and finally found something that works! And others will argue with me, but for me it was SO EASY.

Best of luck to you and your decision making process.

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/19/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Marr
    Last Activity
    02-19-2017 05:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post

I agree with srabaer... attend informational clinics... do the research. Like srabaer... My entire life I tried and failed. I'm also a size 22 and at time a 24... will no doubt rejoice if or when I can say my a size smaller... Good luck to you

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

I started the process thinking I needed to be convinced that this was the right decision. Ultimately, you are the only one that can make that call. Attending support group meetings, nutrition classes, meeting people here and listening to WLS podcasts- it all helped. I finally came to the decision that no matter how hard I tried to lose weight in the past, I failed every time and why. I needed help so I chose to have surgery.

This surgery has been a amazing, I have broken my sugar addiction and carb carvings but it was a long hard road to get here but I started changing two months before the pre-op diet. Good luck as you make the decision best for you.

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Deb26
    Surgeon
    Mr Stephen Clifforth
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you for your reply. I think in Australia we do have information sessions but as I've recently moved to a regional area I'm not sure if they run them here. I've dieted all my life and although I've lost weight it always come back. Due to a workplace injury I'm limited with what I can do exercise wise and even though I don't think I overeat I just don't do enough to lose weight. I have also just taken over the care of my 13 year old granddaughter and I need to do something drastic so that I can finally lose the weight as I need to be around for her. My weight has had a partial impact of my health but obviously as I get older it will increase. At the moment the thing that gets me down the most is tiredness.......even though I've had to retire on invalidity grounds I have a lot more to do now and my weight is slowing me down. I'm thinking that taking this seriously and having surgery is an option I need to seriously consider. I'm not sure where you live but here is Australia we have private health insurance and unfortunately there can often be a gap payment even if you have the top level of cover. So the cost will be an issue for me otherwise if its unrealistic I will have to go on a two year waiting list. Good luck with your journey and I look forward to hearing how you go......

Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Deb26
    Surgeon
    Mr Stephen Clifforth
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Thank you for your reply. I am just like you I have battled with my weight all my life and I'm currently a size 26. But for me it's not so much about how I look it's about being tired and struggling with aching joints all the time. I've also had a workplace injury which has resulted in an earlier retirement on invalidity grounds so exercise is an issue for me. I don't think I over eat I just make poor choices. I also have the full time care of my teenage granddaughter so it's very important that I'm here for her now and in the future. And I worry what will happen to her if I'm not around. So for now surgery is an option I'm seriously considering but a lot will depend on how much out of pocket expenses will be as here in Australia I do have private health insurance but unfortunately even if you have the top level of cover you often have a huge gap to pay and if it's unrealistic then I will have to go on a two year waiting list. Anyway, good luck on your journey and I look forward to reading future posts.

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Here in the US many people without insurance go to Mexico, as it's very inexpensive. Don't know if that's an option for you or not.