Welcome guest, you have 1 message! Register

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Default Re: One week post opt :( please advise/reply. Please

1. How could you possibly be depressed when you know you are about to be a regular sized, healthy person? I was over-the-moon happy the entire process. Adjust that attitude! (Or if you're seriously depressed, see a doctor.)

2. You won't lose weight in the beginning. Your body is still in shock. I would recommend having a family member hide your scale and weigh in a month for a pleasant surprise.

3. You won't feel full on liquids. You won't feel full until you start solid, dense food like meat.

4. Now is not the time to "cheat," you could hurt your newly healing stomach. You will have the rest of your life to eat broccoli cheddar soup or pizza. I know I was on liquids only (protein shakes) for that first two weeks after surgery. Please follow the rules, it's sort or like life or death in the beginning. Do you want to end up back in the hospital?

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Udesirekye's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Juarez
    Last Activity
    06-04-2017 04:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Sandra3 View Post
    Hello!!
    Glad you are doing ok! Gee...pizza...that was a very very bad idea...since you are fine now I can tell you that my surgeon had a patient who got really really sick and almost died after eating a burger a few hours after surgery....so it's serious stuff...

You know, we all learn from our mistakes....I made many mistakes too: bought too much protein powder that I couldn't stand post-op (taste did change post-op), tried soups with mixed veggies to discover that I couldn't stand cruciferous veggies anymore (stomach cramps) and I should try one food at a time only, at six months I was drinking too much water and too fast after exercise, came up etc etc...

But it's simple to follow the guideline and stay safe. Have it near you and read it when you are not sure.
    I did read many great books about bariatric surgery or look online and find info!
    Many great videos on youtube Dr Weiner or Dr A, I like them both. Always good advice.

Right now you are in the first month, it was not a walk in the park for me, I was really tired. But things got better little by little. It was all worth it!
    You will have multiple stalls so don't look at the scale more than once or twice a week. You will lose weight if you stay focused on your program.
    And if you have questions, come in here! many friends will take a few minutes to answer a fellow sleever!
    Take care.
    Thank you so much!!!

Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Juarez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    Forget the scale. Have someone take weekly progress pictures. Wearing bra and panties or a swimsuit. Pose the same and in the same place for accuracy. Also, measure yourself weekly. I can tell you the scale isn't as impressive as the rest. I had surgery 11/3/16 and I've lost a little over 14 lbs. ((I lost 20 pre surgery.) I can honestly say that although it hasn't always been easy you can do this and it's worth it. I tired quickly of the sweetness of the shakes. I used low calorie creamed soups and broth after talking to my nutritionist. You've got this. Remember to keep asking for support. You're not alone.
    Thank you so much! Yes, the scale isn't my best friend anymore. I learned that the hard way. When I got back to work almost 3 weeks ago I was looking at the scale almost everyday. I'm not any more. Last I checked I was at 273. I was about 315 before surgery and 300 day of surgery. I feel like I should have lost more by now. Idk. And sometimes I feel like I'm not loosing fast enough or that I will stop loosing altogether. Maybe I'm just thinking too far into it.

I've literally been afraid to eat any food because I feel like I'm gonna gain. But I have been eating some. And I'm more active. Another thing I'm concerned about is that I can drink like almost a full bottle of water in a short time. It just seems like a lot to be able to take in but maybe I'm just paranoid. I go for a follow up so I'll address my concerns/paranoia to my doc. Thanx again! Thanx everyone!!!

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Liquids are easier than foods. I actually have to supplement my protein intake with protein shakes. Right now I physically can't eat enough protein. I'd have to sit at a table all day and eat slowly. LOL. Even when I'm not actively losing weight I am still getting smaller. Jeans are the best indicator of this. I've found for me I have to be vigilant about tracking my food because if not I'll undereat. But I'm only 8.5 weeks out. My biggest concern right now is eating the right foods. I avoid high carb foods. I have a taste occasionally but I generally avoid all breads, rice, pasta, and high glycemic veggies. I posted some info from my doctor in the pictures on my profile if you're interested. I do suggest talking to your doctor because you shouldn't feel anxiety about eating. I just don't want you to get a dysfunctional relationship with food. We need to nourish our bodies. Big hugs and congrats on your success!

Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Juarez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    Liquids are easier than foods. I actually have to supplement my protein intake with protein shakes. Right now I physically can't eat enough protein. I'd have to sit at a table all day and eat slowly. LOL. Even when I'm not actively losing weight I am still getting smaller. Jeans are the best indicator of this. I've found for me I have to be vigilant about tracking my food because if not I'll undereat. But I'm only 8.5 weeks out. My biggest concern right now is eating the right foods. I avoid high carb foods. I have a taste occasionally but I generally avoid all breads, rice, pasta, and high glycemic veggies. I posted some info from my doctor in the pictures on my profile if you're interested. I do suggest talking to your doctor because you shouldn't feel anxiety about eating. I just don't want you to get a dysfunctional relationship with food. We need to nourish our bodies. Big hugs and congrats on your success!
    Thank you so much Christie! That was very helpful. I'll certainly check out the info on your profile! Much appreciated ��

8. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12