Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why can I eat everything...and so much?

My surgeon and nutritionist have me eating low glycemic foods. They told me low carb is the best option for my future. So I have been sticking to that. They actually gave me a stoplight list of foods. Green eat as much as you'd like. Yellow in moderation and red foods to avoid. I was also told to always eat my protein first, then non starchy low glycemic veggies, and then if still hungry something else. I am almost 8 weeks and still haven't made it to "something else ".

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Udesirekye's Avatar
    Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Juarez
    Last Activity
    06-04-2017 04:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Anon7 View Post
    Oh, that stinks! Maybe you can break a bone in a few months, so you can try the menu? LOL.
    I was totally thinking that! Lolll

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Juarez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Christie13 View Post
    My surgeon and nutritionist have me eating low glycemic foods. They told me low carb is the best option for my future. So I have been sticking to that. They actually gave me a stoplight list of foods. Green eat as much as you'd like. Yellow in moderation and red foods to avoid. I was also told to always eat my protein first, then non starchy low glycemic veggies, and then if still hungry something else. I am almost 8 weeks and still haven't made it to "something else ".
    That's great advice! What's yellow and red considered? I assume reds are meats

Surgery date
    11/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Carlos Juarez
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 48 Times

Quote Originally Posted by jerzeygirl View Post
    Ann, I was thinking the same thing. Starting to think about food and what you "wish" or what foods you're craving is not the healthiest mindset for the journey. I suggest that you think about what you want this journey to be like in order to be successful, what you might want to accomplish, what you want to look like; too much "food thoughts" are setting you up for a more difficult time. This is just my honest opinion and believe me; I realize it's easier for me to say this now that I'm 5 1/2 years out and can eat foods, but I do remember not trying to think about food in the beginning and concentrating on moving from one doctor recommended phase to another. For me, it was a challenge to even swallow water

Please fellow bariatric patients, follow the guidelines of your program and move forward thinking about the reasons you even went through surgery. Continued success to all!
    I'm from Jersey too! I live in CA now. Thanks for the input

Gastric Sleeve Member Christie13's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Christie
    Surgery date
    11/03/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Wright
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 978 Times
    Was Thanked 2,940 Times in 2,192 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,465 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Udesirekye View Post
    That's great advice! What's yellow and red considered? I assume reds are meats
    Red are the foods to avoid. Sweets, soda, high carb foods. Yellow is the moderation list. Fruits, mid level glycemic veggies, some healthier carbs. Green is unlimited which is meats and low glycemic veggies.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member WeighToGo's Avatar
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Namir Katkouda, M.D.
    Last Activity
    02-27-2017 08:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Blog Entries

Hi! I have also been feeling lately that I can eat more than I should be able to. I used to get this horrible pain in my side if I overate, now I just get that icky full feeling. Have been so afraid that I've stretched out my stomach already. I didn't even consider the protein/water aspect. I still use protein supplements, but have been eating more carbs than I should. I had like a "Duh-lightbulb!" moment when I read your comment about packing in the protein. Thanks for mentioning it!

11. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I never had any issues with any food or drink in three years. Nothing disagrees with me. I agree with others, try a chicken breast. Or a pork chop. See how much of that you can eat. The dense protein is the key to staying full.

Come on, make some chicken and then get back with us!

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/07/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Arif Ahmad
    Last Activity
    08-17-2017 04:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times
    Was Thanked 23 Times in 22 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

It's bizarre. I eat chicken or turkey and I'm super full in a few bites. Other things I can eat way more than I should be able to.

On the bright side, I've just entered onederland!

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by Anon7 View Post
    It's bizarre. I eat chicken or turkey and I'm super full in a few bites. Other things I can eat way more than I should be able to.

On the bright side, I've just entered onederland!
    No it's not bizarre, it shows that your sleeve is working just as it should, and why we should be eating dense protein before anything else. It makes us full! (And don't drink afterwards.) I could eat cookies, candy, chips, or any crap and not feel the least bit full. Which is why I don't!

This is how people regain their weight, they eat things they shouldn't, and then whine, "My sleeve is not working." Well it won't work if you don't eat what you should. Graze on junk all day and you will be obese again in no time.

16. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/07/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Arif Ahmad
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times

Quote Originally Posted by sraebaer View Post
    No it's not bizarre, it shows that your sleeve is working just as it should, and why we should be eating dense protein before anything else. It makes us full! (And don't drink afterwards.) I could eat cookies, candy, chips, or any crap and not feel the least bit full. Which is why I don't!

This is how people regain their weight, they eat things they shouldn't, and then whine, "My sleeve is not working." Well it won't work if you don't eat what you should. Graze on junk all day and you will be obese again in no time.
    I get it... I guess I meant it's bizarre just in that in the past I could eat tons of everything, but now I can only eat a few bites of what I'm supposed to eat (the good stuff), but can eat lots of what I'm not supposed to eat (the junk).

Gastric Sleeve Member PlantBasedSleever's Avatar
    Name
    Sheila
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce De Leon
    Last Activity
    09-16-2017 11:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post

Then Switch to whole food plant based eating. You get a lot of bulk for less calories. This is how I don't gain and even still lose 5 years after having a sleeve. Doctors don't know enough about nutrition. Read How Not To Die, The China Study, or Forks Over Knives. If I had known then what I know now , I would not have needed surgery. Gastric sleeve is only temporarily for most people because they are still putting the same toxic, carcinogen foods in their bodies that doesn't satisfy. Plant food is full of fiber and protein. Which fills you up and satisfying. I eat lots of potatoes too and lose.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    10/07/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Arif Ahmad
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 52 Times

Thanks - I only lost about 30 lbs total since October 2016...now I'm seeing the number slowly going back up...feels like a waste. I need to figure out how/where to fit exercise and healthy foods in while working a million hours a week, keeping up with 2 kids, 2 dogs, a house, etc...on top of the cervical disc degeneration, arthritis, migraines, Fibromyalgia...

Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by PlantBasedSleever View Post
    Then Switch to whole food plant based eating. You get a lot of bulk for less calories. This is how I don't gain and even still lose 5 years after having a sleeve. Doctors don't know enough about nutrition. Read How Not To Die, The China Study, or Forks Over Knives. If I had known then what I know now , I would not have needed surgery. Gastric sleeve is only temporarily for most people because they are still putting the same toxic, carcinogen foods in their bodies that doesn't satisfy. Plant food is full of fiber and protein. Which fills you up and satisfying. I eat lots of potatoes too and lose.

And for those of us who don't want to go vegan.......?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123