I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Dr. O'Malley
    Last Activity
    10-28-2016 07:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default What is life like after surgery?

Hello everyone!
    Share some of your experiences!

What are some foods you can you or can't you eat now after surgery?

What are some of the things you aren't supposed to eat after you've had surgery?

Have your tastes changed?

How do you feel emotionally after surgery and losing weight?

Loose skin? Hair loss? Does it happen to everyone?

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Bufflehead's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    06/19/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. K. Robert Williams
    Last Activity
    08-14-2017 02:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 39 Times
    Was Thanked 180 Times in 130 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 44 Times

Default Re: What is life like after surgery?

Bread (made with yeast) and anything carbonated. They don't make me throw up or anything -- I never throw up -- but they make me very uncomfortable, so I avoid them. Anything else I can eat without physical discomfort, but I avoid a lot of high carb and sugary foods as a matter of choice in order to maintain my weight loss.

What are some of the things you aren't supposed to eat after you've had surgery?
    I have tried virtually everything under the sun but I waited until I had achieved my weight loss goal and successfully maintained for several months.

Not very much. I love eggs now and I used to hate them. I hate anything coconut now and I used to love it. As long as I stay away from sweets and high carb foods I don't crave them anymore, but if I slip and start eating them again, I crave them constantly. So it is better for me not to eat them at all.

Amazing, free, and strong.

Yes to both loose skin and hair loss. The loose skin doesn't bother me too much. It's better than having the same amount of skin but stuffed with mounds of fat, I'll tell you that. I had some hair loss, but I'd already lost most of my hair pre-op due to bad genetics, so that wasn't some emotional ordeal for me, already been through it. Does it happen to everyone? Not literally everyone, but the vast majority of people, yes, and don't throw your money away on magic potions, pills, wraps, creams or anything else that promises to prevent either loose skin or hair loss.

5. Said thanks:

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm five months post op.

First six weeks I stayed on mostly protein shakes, my own homemade concoctions. Now on mostly food, but still use MuscleEgg pure egg protein at least once a day for convenience and to keep my protein macro higher.

Eggs, chicken, and broccoli where really hard to digest early in solid food stage, now it's no problem. I can eat salmon sashimi as before but not tuna, it tastes too metal and fishy. I loved tuna salad before but lately it makes me nauseous.

Someone said that tastes change every so often and I have found that to be true still.

I had tons of energy immediately post op, and I over did it. At about six weeks I experienced some depression and low energy. I am pretty much back to normal having added an weights and strength training and exercise program three times a week. I aim to walk 10,000 steps every day day.

I started noticing loose skin around neck first, a lot of my initial weight was noticeable at my face (and butt), but I'm on week 7 of my weight and strength training and whatever loose skin I was getting around neck and décolletage has tighten up somewhat. Arms are getting smaller and batwing is manageable I can live with it. Inner thighs have loose skin, again after 7-weeks of weight and strength training I'm seeing improvements. Tummy... I've lost 8" off my waist. I have gone from size 20/18 to 14/12, I am loving my spanx! and use compression suits when I want I smooth my tummy for a nice outfit. My self-care routine includes dry brushing, or aloofa, rice and nut and salt scrubs several times a week. Moisturize with essential oils every day.

Hair loss started slow mid 3rd month, was worsening, but I got religious about vitamins and upping my protein as well as calories to 1200 with a well balanced diet with a focus on micronutrients too. My self-care includes homemade hair masks once a week, and a nightly scalp vitamin serum. I got a haircut last week and my hair stylist said that she didn't see any massive hair loss in the drain. I'm also noticing less loss. Probably a combo of the above and genetics.

In my personal blog there are several links I posted regarding hair loss if you care to read.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

7. Said thanks:

Name
    Kari
    Surgery date
    11/08/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kaplan
    Last Activity
    05-09-2021 02:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 352 Times
    Was Thanked 200 Times in 182 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 495 Times
    Blog Entries

i havent had surgery yet i have a week until

Gastric Sleeve Member ghost_ryder's Avatar
    Name
    Greg
    Surgery date
    08/23/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Doyle
    Last Activity
    11-26-2018 07:18 AM
    Said "Thanks" 186 Times
    Was Thanked 855 Times in 568 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 677 Times

The list of cant is bigger than the list of can because I am working slowly back into a food based diet. Things I used to love that I don't like anymore- Ice Water, loved to drink a tall glass of ice water-now it tastes just plain bad; Diet Dr. Pepper, I just wanted a sip to taste-it was the worst tasting drink of all time which for me is big that was a go to for me; Chicken is hard to process; breads make my pouch hurt even in the smallest of amounts;

At this point fiberous veggies and fruits; no red meat unless ground; no carbonation; no chocolate, no high sugar foods

As mentioned above, water and diet dr. pepper now taste weird to me. For a while after surgery I had a "sour" taste in my palate in that I just would taste and smell this off odor in my system. Chocolate is tasteless and too sweet at the same time.

Emotionally, I am amazed at how quickly things changed. All the positive progress is outweighing any negative I feel. My biggest miss to this point is Pizza but seeing how much I have changed in two short months is making that a great trade off. I have shrunk out of the last set of clothes that was replaced with my biggest set of clothes. So I am in a size that I have not worn in over ten years.

No loose skin yet still have about 70 pounds to go. But one thing I have noticed is the past few years my elbows had gotten dry cracked skin and I had gotten old man skin (dry and wrinkly, gross) on my thighs. Now, my skin is smooth and moist. Hair, I had a full head in august, now as you can see from the picture.... lol. just kidding

HW - 341 - June 1
    SW - 319 - 8/23 (-22)
    1mn - 286 - Sept 23 (-33) -total 55
    2mn - 274 - Oct 23 (-12) -total 67
    3mn - 263 - Nov 23 (-11) -total 78
    6mn - 238 - Feb 23(-25) - total 103
    9mn - 230 - May 23 (-8) - Total 111
    10mn - 226 - June 23 (-4) Total 115
    11mn - 226 - July 23 (0) Total 115

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

What are some foods you can you or can't you eat now after surgery? I can eat absolutely anything and everything.

What are some of the things you aren't supposed to eat after you've had surgery? corn. bread/rice/pasta/potatoes

Have your tastes changed? not at all

How do you feel emotionally after surgery and losing weight? exactly the same as before. no different at all.

Loose skin? Hair loss? Does it happen to everyone? lots of loose skin. lots of hair loss. no it doesn't happen to everyone, but expect it, cause it happens to "most" everyone.

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193
    8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

Gastric Sleeve Member Blove2012's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-11-2017 12:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 57 Times in 46 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Ghostryder, you are hilarious!

Since surgery, I cannot eat eggs or bread--even in small amounts. I cannot drink water--it tastes like metal. I understand that tastes can change every few months after surgery so I plan to try again occasionally.
    I have loose skin in my butt and thighs, but I did before. This was my biggest problem area. Like Bufflehead mentioned, I would rather have loose skin than skin stuffed with fat.
    How do I feel? Amazing. I had really become depressed over my weight. For the first time in years, I feel like I have some control again. My emotional wellbeing has improved even more than my physical well-being. I cannot speak highly enough of my experience so far!

13. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Sarcastic_Bard's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vierra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 448 Times

I don't have restrictions at all, I can eat anything I want. I avoid hard breads/rolls because I feel instantly full after a couple of bites, and what's the point of that? I don't eat fast food; I have no taste for it. I have tried the occasional bite of fast food and it all smells and tasted like burnt fried onions to me. I have had a skinless grilled drumstick from KFC a few times and that is fine. I haven't tried soda because I don't have a desire for it anymore, but I have had a sip of beer maybe twice and had no issues either. I don't eat much sugary things, baked goods/candy bars/ice cream and the like; I didn't have much of a sweet tooth before surgery though.

Soda, heavily processed foods, sugar loaded stuff. Honestly my surgeon's office is more about making sure I focus on getting in what my body needs than what I must never have again. Heck, at my last appt my coordinator told me to just take an omeprozole if have had wine with meals while I was on vacation. I focus on making sure I get enough vitamins, protein, fluids, and dietary fiber and if I have room for anything else and I feel like it I have something else.

I can actually taste things better now that I've stopped eating fast food. I can pick out herbs and spices used in dishes more easily, and really enjoy cooking with spices and herbs more. Sweet things taste more sweet and fried things taste like nothing but burnt fried onions and oil. I enjoy spicy stuff more; I'm far more likely to add extra chilies and hot sauce in my soups and chili now.

It's jarring to go into the bathroom and catch sight of myself in the mirror now. I still expect to see myself looking so much bigger. I also feel like I can take on the world, and have to make sure I don't spread myself too thin (bah dum bum chhh) just because I have more energy. I also now realize more than ever that my life is finite and I really need to make sure I don't waste one second on things that don't matter to me. That's why I made a sudden decision to travel and took my husband to vacation in Iceland. I also take better care of myself and see the doctor regularly and am much more confident in advocating for myself and my needs. I used to kind of just do everything for everyone, never asking for help and feeling like a burden, like I should be lucky to have anyone let alone a family and husband as wonderful as them. Now I finally am like "Well I'm pretty wonderful too, and damn it I'm not doing all this laundry by myself anymore! Nuts to this, I'm going swimming!" and I don't feel bad about taking time for me and my health.

Another thing is that I sometimes don't see the loss that others see. Sometimes I get caught off guard with how different I look, but sometimes I feel like I'm just the same heavy person who is too tired and ashamed to go out. Letting go of that is harder than letting go of my McDs ever was.

I had some hair loss the first few months and it's been slowly growing back. I lopped it all off a couple of months ago because I've always wanted to try 1920's cropped hair, and it's growing back fast, thick and wavier.

I have some loose skin under my arms but when I flex you just see muscle. My upper thighs are a little crepey but I'm the only one that seems to notice it, and my stomach has a little loose skin. My back and calves are fine. Mostly what I see is a lot of muscle and definition (I highly advocate strength training incorporated into workouts).

15. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

What are some foods you can you or can't you eat now after surgery? I can eat anything (sorry to say!) I sort of wish I couldn't eat the things that are bad for me.

What are some of the things you aren't supposed to eat after you've had surgery? I guess I'm not supposed to drink alcohol or carbonated drinks, but I do.

Have your tastes changed? No, but I do crave things that are good for me now. When I think of something like a Big Mac and fries, I think DISGUSTING.

How do you feel emotionally after surgery and losing weight? Happy! Thrilled! Over the Moon! (Surgery 3 years ago.) I feel like all my dreams have come true.

Loose skin? Hair loss? Does it happen to everyone? A little, but no big deal. My tummy looks flat in clothes, and I'm too old for a bikini. My hair was very thick to start with, so while I see some "shorter" pieces grow in, now one else would notice.

I have not had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/14/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    01-21-2017 11:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 68 Times in 64 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 21 Times
    Blog Entries

2 1/2 yrs post-op, I can eat anything my heart desires, but my heart desires fewer of the items that seemed delicious in my head pre-op.

High net carb foods, large quantities of alcohol... most importantly, no grazing.

I hated sugar immediately post op and eventually, I was able to tolerate low doses. Still, in general, I'll pass on sugar.

Emotionally, far more confident than ever. I struggled with body dysmorphia and still do sometimes, but still overall healthier than before.

I'm down more than 100#s from my highest recorded weight, so yes, my arms, thighs, buttocks, breast and tummy have loose skin. I also had hair damage/thinning enough that I cut it all off this year and started all over. It grew in healthier.

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Hello everyone!

There's nothing I can't eat. Carbonated beverages are the only thing I can't consume unless I pour them over ice and let them go flat first.

Anything that makes you gain weight.

Nope. Love the same things, dislike the same things. Although I did become addicted to nuts and peanut butter so they aren't allowed in my house anymore.

Surgery did nothing to improve my emotional or mental health. Therapy has done that.

Lots of loose skin...especially my butt, legs and boobs.
    No hairloss at all.

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kindle View Post
    Hello everyone!

There's nothing I can't eat. Carbonated beverages are the only thing I can't consume unless I pour them over ice and let them go flat first.

Anything that makes you gain weight.

Nope. Love the same things, dislike the same things. Although I did become addicted to nuts and peanut butter so they aren't allowed in my house anymore.

Surgery did nothing to improve my emotional or mental health. Therapy has done that.

Lots of loose skin...especially my butt, legs and boobs.
    No hairloss at all.
    my butt, too! it's so weird. I'm sitting on two cushions at work!

8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

Name
    Barb
    Surgery date
    06/16/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Luca Giordano
    Last Activity
    12-26-2017 07:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 88 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 79 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times
    Blog Entries

I always love your posts sarcastic_bard. we feel the same way about a lot of things!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcastic_Bard View Post
    I don't have restrictions at all, I can eat anything I want. I avoid hard breads/rolls because I feel instantly full after a couple of bites, and what's the point of that? I don't eat fast food; I have no taste for it. I have tried the occasional bite of fast food and it all smells and tasted like burnt fried onions to me. I have had a skinless grilled drumstick from KFC a few times and that is fine. I haven't tried soda because I don't have a desire for it anymore, but I have had a sip of beer maybe twice and had no issues either. I don't eat much sugary things, baked goods/candy bars/ice cream and the like; I didn't have much of a sweet tooth before surgery though.

Soda, heavily processed foods, sugar loaded stuff. Honestly my surgeon's office is more about making sure I focus on getting in what my body needs than what I must never have again. Heck, at my last appt my coordinator told me to just take an omeprozole if have had wine with meals while I was on vacation. I focus on making sure I get enough vitamins, protein, fluids, and dietary fiber and if I have room for anything else and I feel like it I have something else.

I can actually taste things better now that I've stopped eating fast food. I can pick out herbs and spices used in dishes more easily, and really enjoy cooking with spices and herbs more. Sweet things taste more sweet and fried things taste like nothing but burnt fried onions and oil. I enjoy spicy stuff more; I'm far more likely to add extra chilies and hot sauce in my soups and chili now.

It's jarring to go into the bathroom and catch sight of myself in the mirror now. I still expect to see myself looking so much bigger. I also feel like I can take on the world, and have to make sure I don't spread myself too thin (bah dum bum chhh) just because I have more energy. I also now realize more than ever that my life is finite and I really need to make sure I don't waste one second on things that don't matter to me. That's why I made a sudden decision to travel and took my husband to vacation in Iceland. I also take better care of myself and see the doctor regularly and am much more confident in advocating for myself and my needs. I used to kind of just do everything for everyone, never asking for help and feeling like a burden, like I should be lucky to have anyone let alone a family and husband as wonderful as them. Now I finally am like "Well I'm pretty wonderful too, and damn it I'm not doing all this laundry by myself anymore! Nuts to this, I'm going swimming!" and I don't feel bad about taking time for me and my health.

Another thing is that I sometimes don't see the loss that others see. Sometimes I get caught off guard with how different I look, but sometimes I feel like I'm just the same heavy person who is too tired and ashamed to go out. Letting go of that is harder than letting go of my McDs ever was.

I had some hair loss the first few months and it's been slowly growing back. I lopped it all off a couple of months ago because I've always wanted to try 1920's cropped hair, and it's growing back fast, thick and wavier.

I have some loose skin under my arms but when I flex you just see muscle. My upper thighs are a little crepey but I'm the only one that seems to notice it, and my stomach has a little loose skin. My back and calves are fine. Mostly what I see is a lot of muscle and definition (I highly advocate strength training incorporated into workouts).

Name
    Barb
    Surgery date
    06/16/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Luca Giordano
    Last Activity
    12-26-2017 07:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 88 Times
    Was Thanked 103 Times in 79 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 64 Times
    Blog Entries

i had my surgery in June 2016. some of the foods i eat are high protein things such as cotage cheese, eggs, meat, fish, poultry. its what i crave now. i use to be a pasta girl my whole life and big portions. since surgery i have not had pasta rice bread, sweets. and i cannot believe it. i do not crave it.
    i have had some extra hair in my brush daily around month 3. it has slowed down. i take my vitamins every day. emotionally and physically i feel great. i have energy. this is not an easy fix. you still have to work at this and eat right. i never overeat any more. i cannot believe how full how fast i feel. the sleeve is an amazing tool.

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm just a couple of weeks from being 6 months out, and the hair loss has finally slowed down...still quite a bit falling, but not nearly as much as it's been the past 2-3 months