09/06/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shawn Stevenson
    Last Activity
    09-14-2016 03:39 AM
    Said "Thanks" 104 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 53 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 22 Times

Default Re: Pre Op diet- how long and what kind?

Quote Originally Posted by xtalbling View Post
    Yes shake for breakfast and lunch and protein (chicken or fish) with no seasoning except lemon and veggies, ive been practacing with the shakes and just eating a snack here and there. not fully commited since i still have 10 days but trying. I found these shakes at Sams that have 30gm of protein 1 sugar and they do a decent job. The first one i drank at room temp didnt set so well but cold is much better. I have plannes on making these a staple since they have protein and I know I will be short. They are only 16$ at Sam's but they were on sale for 11$. I hope they have that sale frequently.
    I'm sure it takes some time to get used to it. What is the brand name of these shakes? Often they have so much sugar in them, so to find some with that little sugar is great.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member girlwitharosetattoo's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    09/06/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shawn Stevenson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 104 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Frostyesp View Post
    Hi,

I was told to start my pre-op diet 5 days before the surgery - the more "fatty" your liver the longer you need to diet. That said, for those who haven't had your procedure yet, the pre-op diet is the hardest part. Your eating habits haven't changed yet and your stomach if full size.....you will be hungry and anxious but stick with it. Once the surgery was done it wasn't difficult for me to diet. The hard part was not jumping into yummy solid foods right away - I like soup but not that much lol.
    It's going to be difficult. I am anticipating that. Even just to go on a mostly liquid diet for one day before a procedure such as a colonoscopy feels like pure hell.

I'm not even gonna look at soup until after my surgery because I will have no choice and I know I am going to get SO SICK OF IT!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    07/28/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Marcelo Hernandez
    Last Activity
    12-30-2016 11:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 6 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 14 Times
    Blog Entries

3 days for me but thinking of doing 5 days as a challenge to myself.

5. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    William (Bill) Jones
    Surgery date
    12/12/2016
    Surgeon
    Ryan Tyner
    Last Activity
    06-12-2017 10:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I was in a dilemma regarding which Dr and program to use. First doc I went to wanted me on 6 weeks of Optifast and could only buy it from him to the tune of $15 per day. Second doc, which I have now chosen - two weeks and use any hi protein low carb drink, The Premier brand at Sam's is actually very good and as others have mentioned, it has 30 gr of protein and only 4 carbs. My first doc said he would not do surgery till I had lost at least 50 lbs. Using the protein drinks and not having any alcohol and I've lost 30 lbs in a little over a month. I have ordered some unflavored Isopure which I've read by others on this forum that is great for added protein for soups. It has 50 gr protein per scoop.
    HW - 350 4/1/16
    SW - 303 12/12/16

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/06/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shawn Stevenson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 104 Times

Quote Originally Posted by bndjones View Post
    I was in a dilemma regarding which Dr and program to use. First doc I went to wanted me on 6 weeks of Optifast and could only buy it from him to the tune of $15 per day. Second doc, which I have now chosen - two weeks and use any hi protein low carb drink, The Premier brand at Sam's is actually very good and as others have mentioned, it has 30 gr of protein and only 4 carbs. My first doc said he would not do surgery till I had lost at least 50 lbs. Using the protein drinks and not having any alcohol and I've lost 30 lbs in a little over a month. I have ordered some unflavored Isopure which I've read by others on this forum that is great for added protein for soups. It has 50 gr protein per scoop.
    Thanks so much for this detailed replied. I have also read about isopure here and plan to use it. I've had the premiere protein drinks before. None are my favorite, but I guess I will have to try and get them down. Yuck.

Congrats on your weight loss and good luck with your surgery!!!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    William (Bill) Jones
    Surgery date
    12/12/2016
    Surgeon
    Ryan Tyner
    Last Activity
    06-12-2017 10:06 AM
    Said "Thanks" 32 Times
    Was Thanked 38 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

You can always try perking up those drinks with a banana or some peanut butter or some other fruit. I like blueberries in the vanilla.
    HW - 350 4/1/16
    SW - 303 12/12/16

11. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/06/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shawn Stevenson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 104 Times

Quote Originally Posted by bndjones View Post
    You can always try perking up those drinks with a banana or some peanut butter or some other fruit. I like blueberries in the vanilla.
    Great idea! Strawberries in the vanilla sounds good to me, and I always love a PB and chocolate combo. I need to get myself a new blender, I think!

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by girlwitharosetattoo View Post
    I have noticed that many of our pre op diet instructions are different. As I start my journey and prepare, I was wondering what your pre op diets consisted of and how long before surgery you were told to start?

My dr said a week or 2 for pre op diet consisting of lean meats and veggies and protein shakes.

I'm not a regular drinker of alcohol so it's easy for me to abstain. I have a few friends who like their beer or wine every night and this would be difficult!
    The differences among surgeons drives me freakin' nuts!

To me, if there's so much variety in what they tell us to do, it just says to me that none of them really know!

I had a 2 wk liquid pre op diet. But because so many other people can eat solid food pre op, I figured it wouldn't hurt if I did, too, so halfway through, I had a meal. Then, the day before surgery, I ate a little bit, cause it was the last day of school before summer break and there was a BBQ meal provided to us!

And post op...."no straws"? Pish. I drink with straws and no problems. "Don't drink before, during, or after meals"? Another pish, although I understand the why of that rule better.

My point is that I looked at what other docs were telling their patients, and if it seemed reasonable to me, I'd do it, whether my own doctor follows that rule or not.

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191
    7 m: 193
    8 m: 184
    9 m: 180 2/3/17. Goal 3
    10 m: 179
    11 m: 171
    48: 170
    1 yr: 166.6. 5/27/17
    13 m: 165.8
    5 y,10 m: 215
    7 yrs: 230

Revised Goal : 200
    "Bonus" Goal: 180

14. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    07/14/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Fedorka
    Last Activity
    01-25-2017 12:49 AM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 109 Times
    Blog Entries

My doctor didn't change my 1200 cal diet. The day before surgery I had chicken breast, green beans and rice for dinner. I was told the more I lost the easier the surgery. I was shocked to read so many have to do two weeks of liquid diet pre-op. However, morning of my surgery he said you were liquid only yesterday right? I said no, told him what I had eaten. He say ok let's go!

16. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/06/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shawn Stevenson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 104 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Pam G View Post
    The differences among surgeons drives me freakin' nuts!

To me, if there's so much variety in what they tell us to do, it just says to me that none of them really know!

I had a 2 wk liquid pre op diet. But because so many other people can eat solid food pre op, I figured it wouldn't hurt if I did, too, so halfway through, I had a meal. Then, the day before surgery, I ate a little bit, cause it was the last day of school before summer break and there was a BBQ meal provided to us!

And post op...."no straws"? Pish. I drink with straws and no problems. "Don't drink before, during, or after meals"? Another pish, although I understand the why of that rule better.

My point is that I looked at what other docs were telling their patients, and if it seemed reasonable to me, I'd do it, whether my own doctor follows that rule or not.
    I agree. Why so much variation? And there is A LOT of that. I think it's wise to do as you did and use common sense/what seems reasonable.

Surgery date
    09/06/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shawn Stevenson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 104 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Susie57 View Post
    My doctor didn't change my 1200 cal diet. The day before surgery I had chicken breast, green beans and rice for dinner. I was told the more I lost the easier the surgery. I was shocked to read so many have to do two weeks of liquid diet pre-op. However, morning of my surgery he said you were liquid only yesterday right? I said no, told him what I had eaten. He say ok let's go!
    I was not given a liquid pre op diet either. I don't think it's always necessary (obviously as some of us are not required to do this) but different doctors have different methods, philosophies, etc. I think that comes into play big time here.

Gastric Sleeve Member mohairbears's Avatar
    Name
    Lanie
    Surgery date
    07/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Mr James Rink
    Last Activity
    08-09-2016 07:54 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I did two weeks on healthy soups and yoghurts. Weight loss 9lbs. The pre op diet helps to shrink your liver, so it is easier for your surgeon to operate...

20. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/06/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shawn Stevenson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 104 Times

Quote Originally Posted by mohairbears View Post
    I did two weeks on healthy soups and yoghurts. Weight loss 9lbs. The pre op diet helps to shrink your liver, so it is easier for your surgeon to operate...
    Yes, I know. We were just remarking at the different lengths and types of diets different doctors expect.

Gastric Sleeve Member mohairbears's Avatar
    Name
    Lanie
    Surgery date
    07/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Mr James Rink
    Last Activity
    08-09-2016 07:54 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

These are the guidelines quoted but wrote by our NHS health service in the United Kingdom...

BARIATRIC SURGERY - PRE-OPERATIVE DIET
    Before your weight loss surgery, it is essential that you follow a special pre-operative diet for two weeks. This diet is to help shrink the liver so the surgeon can operate more easily and increases the chances of your surgery being performed laparoscopically (by keyhole). This diet is not optional and is only intended for before surgery. It should not be followed after surgery or by anyone else.

Why do I need to follow this diet?
    This diet is low in carbohydrate and fat. It will, therefore, reduce the glycogen stores (glycogen is a form of sugar stored in the liver and muscles for energy). This results in the liver shrinking in size and softening.
    When performing bariatric surgery laparoscopically, the surgeon will have to lift the liver to access the stomach. If the liver is heavy, fatty and immobile, it is much more difficult for the surgeon to see and get access to the stomach. This could be a reason for changing to open surgery. Open surgery means a larger abdominal scar, which results in longer recovery and increased risks.

By following this diet, you are likely to lose weight before surgery but, more importantly, your liver will shrink and you increase your chances of having a safe operation.

It is important to stick to the diet for the full two weeks before your operation. Do not be tempted to have a special or larger meal before surgery, as this will reverse the liver-reducing effects of the diet...

23. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    09/06/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Shawn Stevenson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 104 Times

Quote Originally Posted by mohairbears View Post
    These are the guidelines quoted but wrote by our NHS health service in the United Kingdom...

BARIATRIC SURGERY - PRE-OPERATIVE DIET
    Before your weight loss surgery, it is essential that you follow a special pre-operative diet for two weeks. This diet is to help shrink the liver so the surgeon can operate more easily and increases the chances of your surgery being performed laparoscopically (by keyhole). This diet is not optional and is only intended for before surgery. It should not be followed after surgery or by anyone else.

Why do I need to follow this diet?
    This diet is low in carbohydrate and fat. It will, therefore, reduce the glycogen stores (glycogen is a form of sugar stored in the liver and muscles for energy). This results in the liver shrinking in size and softening.
    When performing bariatric surgery laparoscopically, the surgeon will have to lift the liver to access the stomach. If the liver is heavy, fatty and immobile, it is much more difficult for the surgeon to see and get access to the stomach. This could be a reason for changing to open surgery. Open surgery means a larger abdominal scar, which results in longer recovery and increased risks.

By following this diet, you are likely to lose weight before surgery but, more importantly, your liver will shrink and you increase your chances of having a safe operation.

It is important to stick to the diet for the full two weeks before your operation. Do not be tempted to have a special or larger meal before surgery, as this will reverse the liver-reducing effects of the diet...
    Thanks for posting this! I really appreciate it.

How are you feeling 4 days out?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast