Dr. Newlin
    Last Activity
    06-22-2016 04:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Default 1.5 years after sleeve and gaining

Hi all!
    I had my surgery in October 2014 and lost about 75 pounds in the first 5-6 months. Then I started pushing my limits to see what else I could eat (besides all the protein) and stopped losing. I didn't gain anything for another 5-6 months, but didn't lose, either. Then last fall I started gaining and continued up to this point. HW 294, SW 279, LW 224, CW 255. I'm so upset with myself, but like most of us, just don't know how to do what I know I have to.

I had ankle surgery in April of this year and am just now starting to walk without crutches/boot, so exercise is really out of the question for me. Even swimming is off limits for a few more weeks due to the nature of my ankle injury. I've spent the last 8 weeks sitting on my couch because I couldn't walk and that certainly didn't help. So, with exercise off the table (for now) I know I've got to change up my diet. Everyone says to take 'small steps' but with the way I've been eating lately I feel like I need a pretty major renovation. I've probably been a little depressed due to the surgery - I couldn't leave my house and was off work for 6 weeks, which was lonely and boring, also financially distressing, so of course I was depressed - and eating was my friend.

So, what I'm really looking for here are some healthy snacks, on-the-go meals that don't require heating up, and quickie meals. I work as a mobile therapist and am on the road all day. I don't have access to a microwave to heat up food, and keep things cool in a small lunchbox with an ice pack. I tend to go through the drive-thru a lot since it's most convenient, but I know I need to stop that as I don't always make good choices (although I will say the Wendy's Apple Pecan Chicken Salad is scrumptious). I really haven't been focusing on protein and have been eating 'slider foods' daily.

I can pretty much eat anything, the only foods that make my stomach upset are mozzarella cheese sticks and deli meats. I haven't done protein shakes since about 6 months out of surgery; my surgeon told me I needed to get my protein from foods. However, I just don't know how to get 60-80 grams of protein each day without a protein shake. I hate most protein bars.

Thanks for listening and for any recipes/tips you might be able to give me on eating healthy while on the go all day. I certainly didn't have this surgery for nothing and I'd like to start taking control of my eating again!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Last Activity
    03-04-2018 05:31 PM
    Said "Thanks" 34 Times
    Was Thanked 55 Times in 42 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: 1.5 years after sleeve and gaining

I am new. Don't have a surgery date yet. I can't offer advice but I know you can be successful. I hear it in your post. All the best!

361 lbs-Highest weight at the start of the sleeve research
    350 lbs-Weight at 1st Surgeon Visit
    340 lbs-Weight at pre op 3days prior to surgery (having lost 10 lbs on pre op diet)
    324 lbs- Day 14
    312 lbs -Day 27
    304 lbs- Day 37
    299 lbs- Day 44
    293 lbs- Day 62
    286 lbs- Day 73
    280 lbs- Day 86
    273 lbs- Day 107
    261 lbs- Day 141
    251 lbs 6mo
    242 lbs 7mo
    235 lbs 10mo

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

It's fairly easy to consume 60 to 80 grams of protein if you must eat on-the-go and depend on fast food places for many of your meals. I'm not saying that these meals are healthy, but they have enough protein to keep from grabbing a protein bar.

1. Wendy's large chili: 280 calories, 25 grams of protein
    2. 4-piece chicken strips from Chick-Fil-A: 480 calories, 48 grams of protein
    3. Burger King cheeseburger: 270 calories, 16 grams of protein
    4. McDonald's McDouble without the bun: 230 calories, 22 grams of protein
    5. Wendy's junior cheeseburger: 280 calories, 16 grams of protein

Anyhow, once you get back to basics and start focusing on protein first, you'll find that you have no room for slider foods. Good luck to you and keep up the good fight.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

Renee, something to consider is mat pilates. I took about 6 months of it in a class / group setting, before having a big ankle & foot reconstruction. It can be completely non-weight bearing, with you laying or sitting on the floor (or a mat). I know its not perfect to try it just watching a video like windsor pilates (or pick another video - there are tons out there) and not learn it in a setting with an instructor. But it may be safe for you to do & would be a way to burn some calories and also keep your core in good shape. Maybe check with your surgeon to see if this would be allowed for you? I did 2 hours of a day after my surgery, before I could go back to work. I was completely non weight bearing for 6 weeks on my surgical side. It was a long recovery but I was able to stay in shape.

For quite a while I gave up protein shakes, but started up again this past year when I noticed food cravings. They don't seem too sweet any more like they did about 6 or 8 months post sleeve. And I think it helps decrease the cravings for junk or sweets.

Hard cooked eggs, cut up apples (peel if you need to, I do ok with the peel left on) & tiny squares of cheese make a pretty good portable lunch. If I'm running behind for an appointment & needed to hit the road before eating, this is pretty portable in the car in either a tupperware or baggie.

Don't despair, I think weight gain after sleeve is more common than most of us expected. You are getting back on track again, please keep us posted.

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

I am a vet tech with a mobile veterinary service. We work 10-12 hours/day with no breaks. I have to eat while driving in between appointments. There are no fast food restaurants in the entire county. I start my morning with 24oz of decaf tea or coffee with premier protein as creamer. I have a quest bar for mid morning snack, a protein shake for mid afternoon snack and I always keep beef sticks or jerky available at all times. Besides the protein shake, I drink 2 20-32oz bottles of lifewater or bai5 or water throughout the day to help keep me from munching. Maybe 2-3 times/month the vet and I "treat" ourselves to a convenience store hot dog (no bun for me) or split a personal pizza. by the time I get home and start eating "real" food for dinner and bedtime snack I've already had 50-60g protein and well over 64oz fluids. But no, because of my work schedule, I couldn't get enough protein without my shakes and bars. I'm 2 1/2 years out, still maintaining 10+ pounds below goal and have perfect labs, so I don't see the problem with them.

Instead of a protein bar, you could make meat and cheese roll ups and keep them in your cooler. Stay away from processed deli meats and use slices of real ham or pork loin or beef or chicken breast. hard boiled eggs are easy to pack along, or make egg salad. How about slices of summer sausage and cheese? I typically have Greek yogurt with ground flax seed every day (very filling and I need the fiber) but read labels carefully, cause some of them are loaded with carbs. Mixed nuts used to be a staple for me until they became like crack cocaine and I couldn't stop eating them. Pickles have minimal calories and would go great with the roll ups. Starkist makes all sorts of tuna salad flavors in foil packs that don't even need refrigeration. Or make your own shrimp salad or chicken salad and bring them in small containers. Bring cut up raw veggies to fill the need for snacking.

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Melissa
    Surgery date
    06/13/2012
    Surgeon
    Poplowski
    Said "Thanks" 431 Times
    Was Thanked 607 Times in 457 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 220 Times

The only thing I can add to the great advice above is that exercise is not going to be the panacea for you to get the scales movinng, at least that has been my experience. I find it is ALL about what I put in my mouth. I am doing strict low carb right now, and it is working pretty well. I have lost 5 lbs in about a month and feel so much better. Here is what a typical day on this plan looks like: BR. If I am home, I will make scrambled eggs and bacon. Like this morning when I work, I will just have coffee with sugar free creamer. Around 11 I am really ready for lunch. I will have a chicken salad (the ones from Wendy's are good, but watch the carbs! Dehydrated fruit are packed with them like any other fruits except berries.), other things good for lunch are (like Kindle said) are tuna salad from Starkist, Atkins frozen dinners (yes, they need a microwave), leftover meat from dinner the night before. Dinner is meat and stri-fried vegetables. I might have a Breyers carb smart ice cream bar for dessert. I used to pack a snack such as 4 strawberries or nuts, but have found if I don't measure them, I can keep munching on and off all day. So I just quit taking them to work. I do keep peanut butter crackers with me in case my sugar crashes but the only time it really has been bad was when I ate a bunch of sugar. It is all mental at this point, and it sucks. I was a school OT, and traveled to a variety of schools every day. It was hard, but Wendy's chili, McDonald's chicken bacon salad (get rid of the croutons), KFC grilled chicken are still my go-to foods when I am on plan. You will have to get creative, but it can be done, and you can do this!! We are here for you, so stay on here for encouragement!
    A person's a person, no matter how small! Dr. Suess

Gastric Sleeve Member azladyrider's Avatar
    Name
    Sue Ashe
    Surgery date
    06/28/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Said "Thanks" 42 Times
    Was Thanked 326 Times in 229 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

Best premixed (and pantry safe) shakes are Labrada - Lean Body on the Go - I love them and my pantry is stocked at all times - a week in rotation in my fridge at the start of every week. I have OatFit Oatmeal for Breakfast or a scrambled egg (substitute since I am allergic to real eggs) with turkey sausage or turkey bacon mixed in. Got some ready made hash browns yesterday at the store so planning on putting my eggs scramble on top of a thin layer of potatoes. Then mid morning I'll grab a shake - 25 grams of protein and no sugar, 5 grams of carbs. Then for lunch pretty much whatever I want - my go to lunch is low fat refried beans with low fat cheese and salsa - yum.... in the afternoon I might grab a half of a protein bar just for something crunchy and then dinner is again pretty much whatever I have. Made shrimp scampi last nite 7 grams of carbs and 8 of fat. Night time snack is peaches or watermelon.

12. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member Munecagirl85's Avatar
    Name
    Ashley mejia
    Surgery date
    11/10/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr rodriguez juarez mexico
    Last Activity
    03-17-2017 06:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 219 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I always keep jerky and skins at my desk and bc careful w jerky bc many have sugar and i have to eat a lot bc i stay so hunagry i always do a coffe either protien by chicka or starbucks ices w sf vanilla sf hazel nut cream 3 splendas gives me a nice kick then 930-10 i beat egg and bacon then snack and its lunch time

First goal 295- 4-11-16

Second goal 265 - 8-15-16 (that took forever lol halfway there!)

3rd goal 200 -

ATLAST final goal 165-

Name
    Shirl
    Surgery date
    05/17/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Sergey Lyass
    Said "Thanks" 976 Times
    Was Thanked 1,063 Times in 667 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,909 Times
    Blog Entries

You got this! You're taking the first step into getting back on track.

I echo what everyone has shared, and will add that I went on a tour of my local YMCA and they have a bike machine for your arms that their disabled clients use. I was told that is a great cardio workout out. I was diagnosed with metatarsalgia and had to be on a boot for three months in 2013. During that time I really got into yoga and calisthenics. Find an activity that will work with your abilities and just work at it.

You are not alone! We are in this together.
    HW: 245lbs (11/15); SW: 226lbs (5/17/16) - Height: 5'6"

Post-Op Weight:
    M1: 211.3 (-14.7)
    M2: 203 (-8.3)
    M3: 196.5 (-6.5)
    M4: 191.5 (-5)
    M5: 186.3 (-5.2)
    M6: (?)
    M7: (?)
    M8: 179.4 (-6.9)
    M9: 177.1 (-2.3)
    M10: 174 (-3.1)
    M11: 171.5 (-2.5)
    M12: 171 (-.5)
    Y1.1: 170 (-1)

"Today is another day to get it right!"

15. Said thanks:

Name
    Pam
    Surgery date
    05/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    02-22-2024 08:48 AM
    Said "Thanks" 679 Times
    Was Thanked 771 Times in 544 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 57 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rycurll View Post
    Hi all!
    I had my surgery in October 2014 and lost about 75 pounds in the first 5-6 months. Then I started pushing my limits to see what else I could eat (besides all the protein) and stopped losing. I didn't gain anything for another 5-6 months, but didn't lose, either. Then last fall I started gaining and continued up to this point. HW 294, SW 279, LW 224, CW 255. I'm so upset with myself, but like most of us, just don't know how to do what I know I have to.

I had ankle surgery in April of this year and am just now starting to walk without crutches/boot, so exercise is really out of the question for me. Even swimming is off limits for a few more weeks due to the nature of my ankle injury. I've spent the last 8 weeks sitting on my couch because I couldn't walk and that certainly didn't help. So, with exercise off the table (for now) I know I've got to change up my diet. Everyone says to take 'small steps' but with the way I've been eating lately I feel like I need a pretty major renovation. I've probably been a little depressed due to the surgery - I couldn't leave my house and was off work for 6 weeks, which was lonely and boring, also financially distressing, so of course I was depressed - and eating was my friend.

So, what I'm really looking for here are some healthy snacks, on-the-go meals that don't require heating up, and quickie meals. I work as a mobile therapist and am on the road all day. I don't have access to a microwave to heat up food, and keep things cool in a small lunchbox with an ice pack. I tend to go through the drive-thru a lot since it's most convenient, but I know I need to stop that as I don't always make good choices (although I will say the Wendy's Apple Pecan Chicken Salad is scrumptious). I really haven't been focusing on protein and have been eating 'slider foods' daily.

I can pretty much eat anything, the only foods that make my stomach upset are mozzarella cheese sticks and deli meats. I haven't done protein shakes since about 6 months out of surgery; my surgeon told me I needed to get my protein from foods. However, I just don't know how to get 60-80 grams of protein each day without a protein shake. I hate most protein bars.

Thanks for listening and for any recipes/tips you might be able to give me on eating healthy while on the go all day. I certainly didn't have this surgery for nothing and I'd like to start taking control of my eating again!

Haven't you seen those videos of guys in wheelchairs playing basketball, doing pull-ups and other athletic stuff? Hell, an f'd up ankle is nothing! No excuses! You still have an upper body....use it!

(That's my best drill Sargent voice)

HW: 275
    PreOp: 268 5/12/16

SW: 258. 5/27/2016
    10 w: 225. Goal 1
    12 w: 222.
    14 w: 216.
    4 m: 215
    5 m: 205
    22: 199.4 10/30 Goal 2
    24: 196
    6 mo: 191