I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgeon
    Blaine Nease
    Last Activity
    06-10-2018 11:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 13 Times

Default I know stalls are normal and needed for the body but......

Today I am 10 weeks out from my surgery. The first month I lost 25 lbs and in the past six weeks I have lost a total of 2 lbs. I am following the rules. The only thing I have eaten since I started sold food is yogurt, fish, chicken, cottage cheese, lowfat cheese sticks, a ton of pinto beans, and occassional protein bars. I am getting all of my protein requirements in and even exceeding it most days. I am exercising, walking 10 miles a week. I have not eaten not one single crumb of anything I shouldn't. At my one month post op I told the nurse I was eating about 500-600 calories a day, she told me to increase it to 800-1000 or I would stall. I did what she asked and since then is when then 2 lbs have been lost.
    So my question are 1. Do I need to lessen my calories again? 2. Is it normal to have only lost 2 lbs in six weeks? It seems too early to have stalled for so long. I expected stalls, not just this early out and for such a long time. I am so frustrated. I have changed my diet like I never have before in my life and I am not seeing the results I think I should.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: I know stalls are normal and needed for the body but......

Keep doing what you are going. Make sure you are getting AT LEAST 64oz of water.....80-100 would be better. What you are going through is normal, but if the numbers are going to upset you then you need to put your scale away. You've already lost more at 10 weeks than I had at 4 months. The diffence is I didn't care how fast I lost. I knew I was sleeved for life and my weight loss was not a competition sport. In fact, I gained 3 pounds at one point and then sat there for a month. But I dropped a whole pant size during that month. The scale doesn't always tell the whole story. And no, I wouldn't go back to 500-600 calories. Just sit back, relax, and enjoy the NSVs.

Gastric Sleeve Member Munecagirl85's Avatar
    Name
    Ashley mejia
    Surgery date
    11/10/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr rodriguez juarez mexico
    Last Activity
    03-17-2017 06:10 AM
    Said "Thanks" 219 Times
    Was Thanked 124 Times in 104 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Iam obsessed w my scale i know its hard. I stalled out 2-3 week of surgery two whole weeks and i mean nothing came off! Then all od a sudden bam! You never mentioed if you have had a stall before some people have that long stall different times. I personally havent stalled since then i do step on mh scale dailh yes i know its bad ,but FOR ME it keeps in check from choseing poorly and stepping away from the vending machine at work. I know i have lots more work ahead for myself.

I actually stalled some last week a few weeks ago i did a mini reset pouch w liquids and soft foods i lost 4 lbs went straight to my new lifestyle plan lowcarb/ keto bc i havent been following any plan and BAm! Huge stall i have no idea why beside it being a major diet change... Any change our bodies tend to hang on to and stop! .... Keep on plugging away no matter what

First goal 295- 4-11-16

Second goal 265 - 8-15-16 (that took forever lol halfway there!)

3rd goal 200 -

ATLAST final goal 165-

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/06/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr. Ariel Ortiz
    Last Activity
    09-29-2023 05:46 PM
    Said "Thanks" 124 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 28 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times
    Blog Entries

@animallover, I am almost 3 weeks post op and lost 7#'s the week after surgery, and nothing since. Like you, I am following what I am supposed to. Admittedly, my water intake could be higher but it is always above 48oz. When you stall and you are doing your best to follow everything, it's frustrating not to see a loss. Some days I think, "did I just go through all of this to be stuck at 7#'s less than I was at surgery?!"
    Keep doing what you are supposed to (and I will too). Kindle is very wise: this isn't a race (even though we'd like the weight to be completely off right now). Hang in there.

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Sandra
    Surgery date
    01/20/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr W
    Last Activity
    06-25-2020 09:15 AM
    Said "Thanks" 290 Times
    Was Thanked 1,067 Times in 752 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 480 Times
    Blog Entries

25 pounds in one month is a lot, so "only" 2 pounds the following six weeks that's still 27 pounds in ten weeks, so an average of 2.7 pounds per week! My nut say to lose no more than two pounds per week...don't worry, use the scale only once a week, and look at the sugar content and ingredients of those protein bars. I noticed that the few times I was eating protein bars, for some reason those weeks I lost nothing. May be it's a coincidence, but now I try to stay away, unless I'm traveling and can't find food I like around. But protein shakes are fine...good luck and take care!

HW : 150 kgs
    09/02/2014 : 142 /1st apt
    01/20/2016 : 134 /surgery
    01/30/2016 : 130 /1st post-op
    02/27/2016 : 126 /2nd
    04/23/2016 : 118 /3rd
    07/16/2016 : 109 / 4th
    10/01/2016 : 103 /5th
    01/21/2017 : 98 /1 year post-op
    February 2017 : 100 lbs lost
    07/22/2017 : 96
    10/21/2017 : 93
    12/22/2017 : 91
    01/02/2018 : 96!! regain (medication)

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Sarcastic_Bard's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vierra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 448 Times

I'm a little over 4 months out and I've had lots of stalls. They especially happen close to PMS time. I think you've lost a great amount of weight in 10 weeks and should be proud of yourself, but I can certainly understand your frustration; I've been there. Do you do other ways to measure your loss, like taking your measurements and keeping track of your clothing sizes, and your energy levels? When I started hitting stalls, I stopped weighing myself and changed to weekly measurements. It kept me from getting too stressed out. It worked out so well for me that now I usually only weigh myself once a month. I know that sounds crazy to some, but it really keeps me from freaking out over the scale not moving all week, or a gain while I'm PMSing. I was really being hard on myself when I was weighing once a week or more. Make sure you are getting enough water, and enough sleep!

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Cyndi
    Surgery date
    12/30/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Marema
    Last Activity
    01-09-2020 06:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1,143 Times
    Was Thanked 908 Times in 689 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,250 Times

Quote Originally Posted by animallover1247 View Post
    Today I am 10 weeks out from my surgery. The first month I lost 25 lbs and in the past six weeks I have lost a total of 2 lbs. I am following the rules. The only thing I have eaten since I started sold food is yogurt, fish, chicken, cottage cheese, lowfat cheese sticks, a ton of pinto beans, and occassional protein bars. I am getting all of my protein requirements in and even exceeding it most days. I am exercising, walking 10 miles a week. I have not eaten not one single crumb of anything I shouldn't. At my one month post op I told the nurse I was eating about 500-600 calories a day, she told me to increase it to 800-1000 or I would stall. I did what she asked and since then is when then 2 lbs have been lost.
    So my question are 1. Do I need to lessen my calories again? 2. Is it normal to have only lost 2 lbs in six weeks? It seems too early to have stalled for so long. I expected stalls, not just this early out and for such a long time. I am so frustrated. I have changed my diet like I never have before in my life and I am not seeing the results I think I should.
    Stalls are normal. When they happen I stay OFF the scale, keep doing what I'm supposed to, measure instead and the next thing I know I'm down a size! I've read a lot from the sleevers who have gone before me. It helps me to know I'm not unique. The scale is just a measurement tool. I'm losing and I feel great!