Surgeon
    Dr.Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    03-30-2016 04:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Default Why vitamine D is so good for us

Vitamin D is the vitamin everyone is talking about these days, especially in the world of bariatric surgery. Vitamin D is one of four fat-soluble vitamins (the others are vitamins A, E, and K) and is important in bone metabolism and has recently been observed to have anti-inflammatory and immune-supporting properties. Recent findings suggest that low vitamin D levels may increase incidence and mortality from cardiovascular disease and cancer. Current research is studying possible connections between vitamin D levels and medical problems like diabetes, high blood pressure, and autoimmune conditions.

WHY VITAMIN D IS IMPORTANT TO YOUR HEALTH!
    Your muscles need vitamin D to move
    Your nerves need vitamin D to help carry information between your brain and all of your body parts
    Your immune system needs vitamin D to aid in fighting off bacteria and viruses.

What Causes Vitamin D Deficiency?

Vitamin D deficiency can occur for a variety of reasons
    Dietary intake is lower than recommended intake over time
    Sunlight exposure is limited
    The kidneys cannot convert vitamin D from its inactive to active form
    Absorption of vitamin D in the digestive tract is inadequate
    Obesity may also increase the risk of a vitamin D deficiency. Greater amounts of subcutaneous fat hold on to more vitamin D and also alter its release into circulation, which results in lower vitamin D levels. Post-gastric bypass patients can become vitamin D deficient over time because the part of the upper small intestine where vitamin D is absorbed is bypassed.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Stacy'sSleevedLife's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    02/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 384 Times in 331 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,914 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Why vitamine D is so good for us

Can I get too much vitamin D?

Too much of any good thing is a bad thing. Too much vitamin D can cause an abnormally high blood calcium level, which could result in nausea, constipation, confusion, abnormal heart rhythm, and even kidney stones.

It's nearly impossible to get too much vitamin D from sunlight or from foods (unless you take way too much cod liver oil). Nearly all vitamin D overdoses come from supplements.

Be careful when suggesting taking supplements that is not prescribed by your doctor. Always have your vitamin levels check before taking anything extra and do your research on the good and bad effects of any vitamin or supplement.
    Follow my Weight Loss Journey on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW...JzJewHgnlCj-Pg

4. Said thanks:

Banned
    Surgery date
    02/11/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr.Sergio Quinones
    Last Activity
    03-30-2016 04:51 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 72 Times in 50 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Yes.. I do agree that to much of any thing is bad for all of us, although I never said that we could get to much vit D from sunlight. I do not know if you miss under stood me or me to you, but yes to much is bad but what I was trying or said is vit D is what are body needs and a lot. Not to much of course.

Gastric Sleeve Member Stacy'sSleevedLife's Avatar
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    02/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 384 Times in 331 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,914 Times
    Blog Entries

No I understood, but if a person takes Vitamin D and they do not need to then it can cause health problems. I have suffered from low D all my life but I did not just take it because it was all the rave and being talked about. A person should have a doctor check their D levels through a blood work up before adding this vitamin to their supplements. What I quoted was from Web MD. Before taking anything we should talk to our doctors first. Many times to much of something can be as harmful as not enough. Just want people to be safe and healthy.

Good luck
    Stacy
    Follow my Weight Loss Journey on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW...JzJewHgnlCj-Pg