Dr Reza Adib
    Last Activity
    07-03-2016 09:19 AM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Red face Exercise and Diet

Hi Everyone,

I hope you are all going well. I just have a few questions. So far everything seems to be going well for me, in just under two months I am down 31 pounds (14kgs) and things seem to be going smoothly. I am struggling to get enough food in, so as well as meals I try to snack in between on protein/fruit and vege, and I am enjoying that. I also exercise for at least 30 minutes a day, half walking/half running at the gym. As of next week I am going to try and gently start some strengthening classes. My questions are how did everyone cope going into strengthening classes/weights? Also how did everyone go with their eating around the 2 month mark?

Thanks in advanced for your help

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    03/19/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Balette
    Last Activity
    09-12-2019 12:52 PM
    Said "Thanks" 8 Times
    Was Thanked 84 Times in 59 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Exercise and Diet

If you haven't done strength training before I would recommend hiring a trainer that has worked with weight loss patients before. I love strength training and had done it for years. I was surprised at how much strength I lost after surgery. Take is slow.
    As far as eating...water and protein. as much as you can. I am 2 years out from my surgery and I eat 6 times a day (or try to). I still have protein shakes when I know I'm not getting enough and don't eat unhealthy carbs (no bread, no pasta). Keep staying away from sugar. Remember - low fat usually = high sugar. Listen to your body - it will tell you when you are full. Once you start feeling it - stop eating.
    Try different things. Don't worry - it will continue to fall off for at least another 5-6 months. It does get harder. Try to focus on how you feel, how your clothes fit and not what the scales says.

Keep up the great work

4. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    shaw
    Surgery date
    11/18/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. assad
    Last Activity
    10-31-2018 06:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 44 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 18 Times

Hello and welcome.. I'm almost 3 months post op at 2 months I was to weak to go to the gym..my daily struggles consisted of consuming enough protein and water.. my Dr.said what I was experiencing was normal..I must admit it was frustrating at 2 months i struggled eating meat.. I was so sick of the protein drinks.. on a happier note between months2 and 3 I tried different things like nuts and cheese..that has been my lifeline..not large amounts.. 2oz at the most.. a woman here told me my hunger pains are acid not hunger.. I said ok? I'm still New at this so I try different healthy foods.. it's trial and erra lol I guess my new pouch doesn't like allot of foods..I still am limited to about 2 to 3 oz at a time but I'm adjusting you will to I'm down 80 lbs in under 3 months..it was rough on my body but I'm getting stronger every day.. stick with the veggies.. when I can't eat regular food.. my go to food is yogurt my pouch loves it I don't.. lol hope this helped.. congrats and hope you have a successful weight loss journey

6. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member DBarringer58's Avatar
    Name
    Debbie Barringer
    Surgery date
    01/27/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Baumon
    Last Activity
    01-07-2017 11:37 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Good luck and I hope you do well! Thanks
    High weight 246
    Sleeve weight 224
    cw eight 193
    Sleeve date 1/27/2015

Thank you,
    Debbie Barringer

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    01/22/2016
    Surgeon
    Mithani
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 11 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 45 Times

We are on the same page as far as weight loss goes. I guess I am normal because I too have trouble getting all my water and protein. It got better once I started pureed food...you just have to read the label. For example, yogurt is 12 g of protein, steak and potato soup is 10 g of protein and most of the food has some type of liquid in it. The protein shakes help me a lot. I just have to remember to sip two a day. My problem is if you follow the 30 minute rule in the time it takes to eat the hot food gets cold before I am finished. Someone said the hunger feeling is acid. Do we need to get Prilosec or something or wait it out? As far as the strengthening I am lucky if I can walk 1 and 1/2 times around Wal-Mart. Go for it if you can.
    Just a side note: I was moving furniture in my pajamas last night and my pajama bottoms fell down to my ankles!!! Proof that I have lost weight....right?
    Does anyone know the nutritional value of the ricotta bake?
    I made a rule that I would weigh every Monday. I think if I did it every day I would get uptight about it.

9. Said thanks:

10. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member knewme2013's Avatar
    Name
    Lee
    Surgery date
    12/15/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Jorge Maytoreno
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 166 Times
    Blog Entries

Hey there,
    I am at the same point you are.I find I make it a point to eat small meals every two hours. Drink in between to get my water in. I too started weight training at my 6wk point
    To be sure all is well.

Gastric Sleeve Member Sarcastic_Bard's Avatar
    Surgery date
    12/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vierra
    Last Activity
    01-23-2018 01:50 PM
    Said "Thanks" 111 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 168 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 448 Times

I'm nearly 2 months out and I work out a few times a week. I started weight lifting two years ago, so I was eager to get back to the gym. It was a month before I could really start going regularly. It was shocking how exhausted I got; it was my own fault for thinking I could just jump back in using the same amount of weight. For example, I usually do 70 pounds on a lateral pull down, but now I have to do 40 pounds until I get stronger.

I also recommend a trainer if it's your first time getting into weight lifting and strength training, so you learn how to use the machines and free weights effectively and safely, as well as have someone with you when you are in the free weights area, which can be intimidating at first (I avoided the free weight area for months at first, assuming I was too fat to even set foot in there. Not true!) I LOVE weight lifting; cardio makes me feel like a chubby sweaty slug, but lifting weights makes me feel like a BEAST.

For food, I am starting in on regular foods now, testing the waters. Right now I'm eating a 1/2 slice of turkey and 1/2 slice reduced fat colby jack cheese on a 1/2 thin slice of crust cut off Dave's Killer Bread thin sliced. It's heaven. One of the things that helped me in keeping up my protein intake was to put protein concentrates into my large bottle of water; 60 calories and 15 grams of protein. I love drinking it while I'm working out especially, so I'm adding in bits of protein while working my muscles out.

I have to eat some protein every couple of hours, so I eat 4 or 5 small meals a day.