12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Veterans...#1 thing you miss / don't miss

This is a question for those that are at least a year or two postop. Well into the new lifestyle, done with the learning curve, your new habits are "normal" and all that newbie stuff is behind you....

what is the #1 thing you miss the most from preop? And what is the #1 single thing you do not miss?

for me, I miss being able to chug a big glass of cold water or bottle of vitamin water, etc. To be able to down the whole thing in less than a minute. I can take big, normal gulps, but only 1-2 before I have to make myself stop.

the #1 thing I don't miss is being in pain....foot pain, ankle pain, knee pain....all day, every day.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member Stacy'sSleevedLife's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    02/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 384 Times in 331 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,914 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Veterans...#1 thing you miss / don't miss

3 years out and can honestly say I don't miss anything, all the things I loved like eating a bag of chips, are not so important now, or having 3 servings or more at a buffet. I hated shopping because I was so big.

#1 thing I don't miss is shopping for the big clothes that put me into tears I don't miss 34 pants and 5x tops.

Thanks for the post

Stacy
    Follow my Weight Loss Journey on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW...JzJewHgnlCj-Pg

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Kemmeter
    Last Activity
    01-19-2020 05:24 AM
    Said "Thanks" 33 Times
    Was Thanked 60 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

I occasionally miss my beer. I was a big fan of micro brews. And Michigan has a micro brewery or two in every town. But............ with that being said I would not go back to the way I felt pre-op. I am so much more active and healthy now. So beer rarely crosses my mind. I am coming up on my one year post sleeve anniversary and am settling in to my new lifestyle and honestly don't miss much at all. THe few times I have had a slice of pizza or similar it really didn't do much for me. I actually look forward to eating my healthier cleaner foods now.
    “Once you have established the goals you want and the price you’re willing to pay, you can ignore the minor hurts, the opponent’s pressure and the temporary failures.” - Vince Lombardi

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoPackGo View Post
    I occasionally miss my beer.
    As a Packer fan, that goes without saying. I had to settle for a Saz's Bloody Mary in the Tailgate Zone last time I was at Lambeau. Not a bad sacrifice, though

9. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member BamBam214's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/29/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Peter LePort,
    Last Activity
    01-07-2016 08:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

I occasionally miss Chili dogs, Okay I miss the them like crazy, Chili dogs used to be my favorite food of all time, I could sit down and eat four or five at a time, Ever since being sleeved hot dogs do not taste good to me anymore, They taste very salty and have a weird consistency, I can still eat chili but only half a cup at a time, What I don't miss is being able to eat like that, Lol

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Surgery date
    08/23/2012
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-08-2023 05:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 65 Times
    Was Thanked 1,328 Times in 515 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 3 Times

I miss the fact that only obese womens find me attractive. I miss sleevedgal's sane and coherent posts. Ok...seriously...I miss pigging out. Not all of the time, but, every so often, I wish I could have three plates of something instead of three bites. Oh..and I miss beer.

I don't miss the opportunity to have a margarita or three every day. I don't miss only having sex in a pitch black room. I don't miss the Big and Tall store.

13. Said thanks:

Name
    Nicole
    Surgery date
    02/26/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Jose Rodriquez Villareal
    Last Activity
    10-25-2017 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 16 Times
    Was Thanked 260 Times in 174 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 134 Times

I don't miss anything!! It sucked censoring every photo! it sucked going shopping... and blaming it on the brand that it didn't fit... I love not feeling pain in my body, with no real reason to be in pain?? what the hell did I do in my sleep? I love the new me! I love shopping! Ha!! I love Tinmans post of not having to have sex in the dark!!! Love myself now!!!

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Two years out next week and I can honestly say that I don't miss anything! I don't miss NOT going shopping because I hated that everything that I had to wear was so big. I don't miss NOT going to functions and hanging with friends because I hated being the big girl in the room and I seriously DON'T miss starting another new plan in January and not being successful!

16. Said thanks:

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

There is nothing I miss, because I don't deprive myself of anything. We eat out all the time, and I make much healthier choices than before, like the tuna tartar instead of the chicken tenders. If I want a drink, I have one. (No more Long Island Teas though, I used to drink them all the time and now probably couldn't walk after one with my little tummy.) I still drink diet soda in moderation. If I want a piece of pizza, a taco, a small burger, a candy bar, I have it. Not all the time of course. I still stick to the protein first rule and don't drink with meals. I take all my vitamins. I became a runner. Life is amazing! I have been a regular sized person for exactly 18 months.

I do miss the Packers though. What's up? I own a cute new shirt!! It will just sit in my closet if there's no Super Bowl party to attend.

Don't miss? I don't miss hiding in pictures. (You can always tell the fat person behind everyone else.) I don't miss shopping in the plus size stores looking for the least-ugly clothes. I don't miss always being the biggest person in the room. I don't miss looking older than I am. I don't miss squishing into others every time I sat down in church, on the airplane, etc. (I still sit in aisle seats out of habit.) I don't miss going to the beach in capris and a tee shirt because I would never dare be seen in a swim suit. I just don't miss being fat and ugly.

I do miss all the money I keep spending on new clothes. I'm going a little overboard.

Gastric Sleeve Member GoAllTheWeigh's Avatar
    Name
    Cyndy
    Surgery date
    12/15/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bolanowski
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

Love your comment "don't miss starting another new plan in January..." !!! Hahahaha. It's been a little over a year for me, and my 2nd January since surgery. You were one of the first to comment and help me out when I first posted on here.. (a little, YA THINK!)...thank you! I am loving my weight loss, skin loss, and all around how I feel! Yes, I don't miss anything 'before', either.

10/05/14 266
    12/15/14 255 11 lbs lost
    01/15/15 235 31 lbs lost
    02/15/15 227 39 lbs lost
    03/15/15 220 46 lbs lost
    04/15/15 210 56 lbs lost
    05/15/15 206 60 lbs lost
    12/15/15 191 75 lbs lost

Gastric Sleeve Member GoAllTheWeigh's Avatar
    Name
    Cyndy
    Surgery date
    12/15/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Bolanowski
    Said "Thanks" 7 Times
    Was Thanked 8 Times in 7 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 5 Times
    Blog Entries

LIKE LIKE LIKE the part about eating out all the time, but just making better choices...same here, and I love it. All good things to you!

10/05/14 266
    12/15/14 255 11 lbs lost
    01/15/15 235 31 lbs lost
    02/15/15 227 39 lbs lost
    03/15/15 220 46 lbs lost
    04/15/15 210 56 lbs lost
    05/15/15 206 60 lbs lost
    12/15/15 191 75 lbs lost

Surgery date
    01/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Karl Strom
    Last Activity
    06-29-2023 07:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 43 Times
    Was Thanked 726 Times in 509 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GoAllTheWeigh View Post
    Love your comment "don't miss starting another new plan in January..." !!! Hahahaha. It's been a little over a year for me, and my 2nd January since surgery. You were one of the first to comment and help me out when I first posted on here.. (a little, YA THINK!)...thank you! I am loving my weight loss, skin loss, and all around how I feel! Yes, I don't miss anything 'before', either.
    So proud of you and all that you've accomplished!

Gastric Sleeve Member RubbityDub's Avatar
    Name
    Kathryn
    Surgery date
    03/17/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr Ian Martin
    Last Activity
    05-04-2019 04:08 PM
    Said "Thanks" 24 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 31 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times
    Blog Entries

I miss not being able to drink and eat at the same time.
    I don't miss taking fright every time I see a staircase that I have to climb or a hill to walk up.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Beth
    Surgery date
    02/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Noel Williams
    Last Activity
    05-17-2017 12:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 119 Times
    Was Thanked 150 Times in 114 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 98 Times

Sometimes I miss drinking something other than water or water add-ins. I don't drink coffee, so beverages are sorta plain. Sometimes I miss drinking while eating too, but it's more like I think, oh that would be nice, and then I move on. Before the sleeve, being denied anything, food or drink, would have been a much bigger deal. Maybe it's an effect of the sleeve or maybe I've done the emotional work to get here, but I feel very differently about food now.

I *do* miss being warmer in winter. I'm much colder now than I used to be, but, eh, so what? I wear extra jackets, socks and gloves and I got a heated mattress cover for my bed. Booyah.

Now, the list of what I DON'T miss is damn near endless. I don't miss shopping in 1 or 2 plus size stores and praying they have something (anything) other than loud jungle prints or boxy cuts (or whatever the plus size fad is) this year. I cancelled my Lane Bryant card this week and it felt good. I can walk into any store at the mall, try anything I want on. I get to choose, thank you. I don't miss worrying about taking up too much space on trains and planes or that I won't be able to keep up if I'm going out with friends and we decide to walk cross town, instead of taking a cab, or that they'll notice I'm gripping the handrail and gasping for breath 2 flights of stairs up. My yearly weekend trip with some girlfriends? This year, we may go skydiving. Last year? I would have been past the weight limit and would've been left behind, a little embarrassed and sad. I don't miss awkwardly holding my children (or my husband) because my stomach and general girth got in the way of giving them close hugs.....my little girls can wrap their arms around me or fall asleep on my lap and it's comfortable....and I certainly don't miss staying behind on day trips, park hikes and long walks with my kids to "clean the house." For that matter, I don't miss the extra funk in my shower or around my house because I was too fat and tired to clean properly.

I really thought I'd miss food more, honestly, but I don't. I've lost the taste for a lot of things that I didn't think I could live without before - macaroni and cheese, fried snacks, heavy pasta dishes. I don't miss feeling sweaty, dehydrated and gorged after over-eating that stuff either. I had so much more fun over the holidays this year, because I didn't stuff myself to the gills and then camp out on the couch, watching tv the rest of the day to drown out feeling slightly guilty and a little ill. Which goes to my last point - I don't miss all the time and energy I spent managing my life around my weight. Making excuses, hiding, worrying and stressing - my life is a LOT less complicated now in just about every way. Priceless.

Weight at 1st Doc's Appt: 290
    Weight the Day of Surgery: 267

Post-Sleeve Weight Loss YR 1:
    Month 1: 17 lb
    M 2: 12 lb
    M 3: 11 lb
    M 4: 9 lb
    M 5: 6 lb
    M 6: 7 lb
    M 7: 5 lb
    M 8: 6 lb
    M 9: 5 lb
    M 10: 4 lb
    M 11: 6 lb
    M 12: 6 lb

Total Weight Loss: 124 lb (101 lb post-sleeve)

23. Said thanks:

Gastric Sleeve Member snugglebug's Avatar
    Name
    Megan
    Surgery date
    10/30/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Brian Mirza
    Last Activity
    05-17-2017 12:39 PM
    Said "Thanks" 28 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts
    Blog Entries

I was in Italy for 3 weeks this year and I was so sad about all the amazing food that I left on the plate. I do well with portion control at home but while I was on that trip I resented not being able to take advantage of the bounty that is Italy!

25. Said thanks:

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast