05/28/2016
    Surgeon
    Dr Zapata
    Last Activity
    05-28-2016 05:34 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default Planning on surgery in Mexico early Nov....any avise?

Can I take my prescription meds?
    Should I bring powdered broth? I had lap band surgery 8 years ago and lived on broth
    Will I be OK traveling alone?

Any advisce???? I am 64 years old

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Banned
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Melanie
    Surgery date
    10/05/2012
    Surgeon
    Last Activity
    10-17-2016 08:04 PM
    Said "Thanks" 195 Times
    Was Thanked 375 Times in 289 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Planning on surgery in Mexico early Nov....any avise?

Quote Originally Posted by lois3116 View Post
    Can I take my prescription meds?
    Should I bring powdered broth? I had lap band surgery 8 years ago and lived on broth
    Will I be OK traveling alone?

Any advisce???? I am 64 years old
    Some of this will depend on your surgeon to be honest. I would ask them about the medications just to make sure depending on the type of medication that you are taking. Back when I had my surgery we were given coupons to used at the hotel to get broth from their restaurant, but not all places are like that. Some will provide you with things like bottled water, gatorade, broth etc., while others don't provide those things, but will offer to take you shopping to pick those supplies up, it just depends really.

I also traveled alone for my surgery with Dr. Quinones. They picked me up from the SD airport and took me straight to the surgical center. I spent two nights at the surgical center, and then the last night I was their in the hotel. At the hotel was the only time that I was not with someone on staff. We were dropped off at the in the late afternoon, the driver helped us get checked in, and I spent the rest of the night just hanging out in my hotel room. Around 9pm or so another patient and I walked down to the Starbucks to get some decaf coffee before we went to bed. We were picked up early the next morning to go back to the states. Even at the hotel we were provided with the cell numbers of staff members that were on call 24 hours in case we needed anything. I felt very safe and comfortable when I had surgery. I think it depends on you, I travel a lot by myself, so I am very comfortable travelling alone, but I have know other's that prefer to have someone there with them.

If you decide to bring someone, just check to make sure about any extra costs you might incur with doing so. With my surgeon, companions stay for free, but other surgeons or companies have and extra charge for bringing someone along depending on their practices capacity. So just make sure and ask about that.

Gastric Sleeve Member michael95472's Avatar
    Surgery date
    07/07/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    10-12-2019 08:35 AM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 47 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 35 Times

I took my diabetes and high blood pressure pills up til the day before surgery,and restarted taking them a week later. I went to Dr Almanza in TJ. I was provided broth,jello, and otter pops at the hotel. Room service would bring them up to me when I called. This was all included in the surgery. The only other advise I would give is to bring $1's and 5's . it's nice to tip the room service people a couple of dollars. Most people feel good enough a day or two later to go out exploring TJ. We took a taxi to the "revolution" to check out some souviners to bring home. Taxi cab prices are negotiated , there are no meters. It was $5 to get their and $4 to get back.if you come alone you might end up sharing a room with another lady. You will travel as a group to and from the hospital, clinics, and hotel, and as a group to and from San Diego. Good luck on your journey.

Gastric Sleeve Member Stacy'sSleevedLife's Avatar
    Name
    Stacy
    Surgery date
    02/13/2017
    Surgeon
    Dr. Illan
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 384 Times in 331 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4,914 Times
    Blog Entries

I would contact your coordinator and ask them about the medication as we are not doctors or surgeons. Your coordinator should be able to give you this information as they are usually in contact with your surgeon and things as important as this. When I had my surgery I was provided with everything I needed except Gas-X strips.

Good luck

Stacy
    Follow my Weight Loss Journey on my YouTube channel https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCqW...JzJewHgnlCj-Pg