Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    06-06-2017 02:03 PM
    Said "Thanks" 41 Times
    Was Thanked 63 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 503 Times

Default Re: Just scheduled my surgery with Dr. Almanza

That was my exact experience as well, Lady, with the exception of how many surgeries were done. I couldn't give you a specific count but there were at least 14 of us. Everything was very clean, well organized, Dr. Almanza was very personable, and does speak English. I felt very well cared for when I was there in April. Congrats on your surgery!

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Surgery date
    08/11/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    04-18-2017 09:21 AM
    Said "Thanks" 148 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 240 Times

LadyLittleRock, I think you are right on with everything you said, that is pretty much how my experience was too, with no complaints. I also work at a hospital so I kinda know how things work in the medical field. I know some people aren't truthful with the nurses and the doctors. I don't believe half of the hype that I am seeing on here. I do believe there are some people that have had some problems, but we don't know why they had problems, I just think it's always easy for people to blame the doctor, instead of accepting responsibility for there part. My heart does go out to anyone who has had problems or God forbid there has been death. I personally can't say enough good about how everything was in Mexico, and with Dr. Almanza and his staff, both at the hospital and at the hotel. I must also say kudos to the van drivers too, they were awesome. Good luck to all of you and whatever your decisions are.

5. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    08/12/2015
    Surgeon
    Jaime Ponce de Leon
    Last Activity
    09-11-2016 03:20 PM
    Said "Thanks" 17 Times
    Was Thanked 11 Times in 6 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 216 Times

Thanks LadyLittleRock for letting us know how things went for you. So glad that you are well! The news stories are not BS, they are real, and even the other doctors were talking about it when I was there. But since your experience was so different than what we had been hearing, he must have taken the problem seriously and changed his way of doing things. I am so glad! It's like here, when we track incidents and even critical incidents at hospitals and care homes. Everyone feels bad for whatever is was that happened. But we don't track them so we can point fingers. We track them so that the incident can be examined, and that it can teach a lesson of what NOT to do. AS long as medical staff take these incidents seriously, and change their behaviours to ensure that it doesn't happen again, then it is a success. You can't change the past, but you can change the future. And it looks like this is exactly what Dr. Almanza and his staff have done. Yay! Thanks so much for taking the time to tell us! And so glad that you are doing well.

Gastric Sleeve Member thenewmetoday's Avatar
    Name
    joanne
    Surgery date
    04/17/2012
    Surgeon
    almanza
    Last Activity
    10-30-2017 03:16 PM
    Said "Thanks" 445 Times
    Was Thanked 309 Times in 215 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2,313 Times
    Blog Entries

i HAVE TO WONDER WHERE THOSE STATS COME FROM (600 PER MO)?????? REMEMBER DON"T BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU READ ON THE INTERNET. DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH AND MAKE YOUR OWN DECISION.

8. Said thanks:

Name
    Kaycha
    Surgery date
    06/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-18-2016 08:11 PM
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times
    Was Thanked 21 Times in 14 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

The only reason his numbers have decreased is because of all the media attention. Otherwise, hed still be doing 15 surgeries, jat like he did when i was there and the reason for my complications. Rushing through surgeries because of the volume of patients he was doing is gross negligence. Additionally, i was put under anesthesia in a hallway without BP monitor or Oxygen Monitor, yet the operative report says I was taken to the operating room then put under general anesthesia. A lie. Never saw the operating room. Greed is an ugly thing and unfortunately myself along with others were victims of it. He could have properly performed our surgeries if he disnt have 10 other people waiting for their surgery.

10. Said thanks:

11. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Name
    Kaycha
    Surgery date
    06/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times

Not on a computer. Yes there are misspelled words. Some people are quick to question intelligence over misspelled words.

Name
    Kaycha
    Surgery date
    06/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times

I followed all pre op/post op instruction because i wanted to ensure i had a sucessful outcome. I followed up with my pcp, lost weight, had an ekg, labs, sleep study and attented individual psychotherapy to ensure i was healthy enough physically and mentally to go through this lifestyle change. I was excited and nervous, just as everyone else was. I began having fevers in Mexico, was told "its normal." Then i get home and the fever doesnt go away, i decided to onto the ER not even 1 week post op and they find a perforation in my new sleeve. I did everything i had to do. I was very compliant. And it really bothers me when WLA, Almanza and the world blames it on "no following doctors instructions" it's complete bullshit.

14. Said thanks:

Name
    Jennifer
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-07-2016 05:05 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 81 Times in 48 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Hells bells. Fuck and damnation. That's how I feel. Lady he must have changed shit up because I was there June 1st of this year. I was the 15th patient of the day. And last. They forgot about me. Read my prior post. Then I had non speaking nurses. The hospital was so full I was placed on the baby side the kept giving me stuff that apparently I was allergic to. I would not stop vomiting. I would tell them stop giving me pain and nausea medicine it was worse. No one understood a fucking thing I said. A girl in my room that had surgery was a nurse she told them they wS giving me way to much stuff through one pic line. Unlike some other people I am fine now but felt like shit while I was there and it could have been avoided by someone that understood the simple word Stop. I ended up pulling out my own fucking IV just to keep them from giving me shit. And yes Kay is real I met her while there. She is going through living hell all could have been avoided by not doing so many surgeries and taking more time per patient. Does shit happen in the US everywhere with doctors. Yes. But the difference is before all this came out you could not find any negativity on this DR at All it would be deleted. Even I was a non believer thought people were being haters. WRONG the agency owns this site and would delete it. Not anymore. Ask Ann she has been on here a lot. Negativity would come and then be deleted. So to hell to all the people that don't believe what we say. Congrats you had a good surgery and I hope everyone that goes does. But don't bash the people that are stating the TRUE FACTS to their experience. Sorry for the cussing. No screw that I am not sorry

16. Said thanks:

Name
    Kaycha
    Surgery date
    06/02/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 5 Times

I love you Jen (JMiller)
    Im so glad we kept in contact. Im so glad you are doing well. And i am so thankful you continue to be supportive!
    I dont ever want to take anything away from those who had good outcomes.
    While i was there the staff did treat me well, and were friendly. But my fever was never a concern to them. I was told "its normal" but it wasnt. It was my body trying to fight off what was taking place inside. I mean, ask JMiller, I was doing so well and felt fine that i didnt even look like I had surgery, if it wasnt for the really obvious IV and since I was told my fever was normal, to walk walk walk. I did just that. I felt better than her, poor thing always felt like sick. I had to tell the nurse Alex that the IV meds were making her sick.

Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-01-2015 04:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

For Dr. Almanza to take in 15 patients a day, that is crazy. No doctor in any field should take in that many patients in a day. You might say do your research and I did on this doctor and there is NO WAY would I let this doctor sleeve me. He has to be working out of one room and that's not sanitized. I don't care if he's the cheapest because if something goes wrong I would have to pay a lot more in the ER. Dr. Ariel Ortiz here I come.
    Thanks for this post because this is not the only bad post about Dr. Almanza. MY LIFE MATTERS.

19. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

I am sure many patients got good care from the nursing staff, it may depend on the luck of the draw - which nurse is assigned to you & also how busy & overloaded (or not) things are that day.
    It's a gamble though, if you don't know how many are in line for surgery along with you that day. My surgeon only does 4 a day max, he was good but some of the nurses who cared for me were either incompetent or had such a piss poor attitude they ought to have been fired. Nursing care is harder to research in advance but if you know your surgeon may be doing 10 or 15 or (as I have read) even 22 surgeries that day - its just asking for trouble.
    I don't see any way a doc could take the proper time & attention, human beings aren't robots no matter how much "experience" they can claim.

I hope he really is doing fewer per day now.

Surgery date
    12/20/2013
    Surgeon
    Ariel Ortiz & Arturo Martinez
    Said "Thanks" 699 Times
    Was Thanked 1,627 Times in 805 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Japeyez View Post
    For Dr. Almanza to take in 15 patients a day, that is crazy. No doctor in any field should take in that many patients in a day. You might say do your research and I did on this doctor and there is NO WAY would I let this doctor sleeve me. He has to be working out of one room and that's not sanitized. I don't care if he's the cheapest because if something goes wrong I would have to pay a lot more in the ER. Dr. Ariel Ortiz here I come.
    Thanks for this post because this is not the only bad post about Dr. Almanza. MY LIFE MATTERS.
    You will have a great experience at OCC. They never do more than 5 surgeries/day and only 4 days/week. I met all five doctors that were involved with my surgery....both surgeons, ( Dr. Ortiz and Dr. Martinez usually do all surgeries together unless one of them is gone on vacation), Dr. Jimenez (the cardiologist), Dr. So (their followup dr) and the anesthesiologist.. Everyone spoke perfect English and were super friendly...we even chatted about football (Jiminez is a Vikings fan and I had a Packers shirt on so.....) and upcoming Christmas vacations (Dt. Ortiz was headed to Yellowstone National Park for a special winter photography tour).

You will have a private room and a nurse available at all times for anything you need. The volume on my TV remote didn't work and she was happy (and had the time) to come in and make adjustments for me. Ironically, the volume on my remote didn't work when I was in ICU at the University of Utah, either, and I didn't get nearly the attention I got at OCC. I observed proper sterility protocols at all times and it was the First time I've ever woken up from anesthesia and wasn't nauseous. I even got a copy of my anesthetic protocol for future reference if I ever have surgery again. Had a great time in TJ after surgery shopping and hanging out with my sister. No pain whatsoever.

Once home, the aftercare and doctor availability is outstanding. Phone calls and emails have always been returned within 24 hours....even on the weekend. I had no complications, but it was nice to be able to check in with them with all the little questions I had about medications and diet stuff. In fact, I sent them an update on my progress and Dr. Martinez replied almost immediately to my email.....18 months AFTER surgery!

Good luck...see you on the other side.

22. Said thanks:

Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-01-2015 04:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Hi Kindle, thank you for the reply and I'm going alone but I feel better now thanks to you. This two week on this diet is hard but the last 48 hours they want me to be on a liquid only diet. I'm going to try to do a 4 days (liquid only diet) because I want my stomach to be right. There is NO turning back now because I want this so bad I can taste it. I'm also going to stay a extra 3 days just to rest and do me in Mexico.
    Thank you so much Kindle

Gastric Sleeve Member LadyLitteRock's Avatar
    Surgery date
    08/17/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    07-22-2016 07:46 AM
    Said "Thanks" 131 Times
    Was Thanked 50 Times in 36 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 43 Times
    Blog Entries

KaychieB and JMiller not sure whats going on, or what you guys seem to be accusing me of, but at no point in my post, did I ever bash anyone, accuse anyone of lying, or be disrespectful to anyone and I expect the same in return. So I am not sure why you guys are yet saying I am. Please re-read what I wrote. I wrote only about my Experience and what I saw when I was there, because that is the only thing I can discuss. Nothing more. I am sorry KaychieB, you had a bad experience and hopefully it was resolved by now and your journey is now successful. I am not your doctor nor was I there. I have no idea what happen only you do, your doctor and anyone that was witness. If you say he did or had 15 surgeries that day, then he did. I don't know, never claimed to know either. If you felt fine during the entire time aside from a low grade fever and when you got home it got worst, again I don't know, I wasn't there. That's 100% truth if you are telling it. That's all I can take you at is your word. If your friend said, people did not speak English to her or understood her, then that must be her experience, again I don't know. I can only talk about my experience and nothing more.

To each their own

HW 231
    Pre-Op Weight 226
    SW 8/17/15 215 down 11lbs
    9/17/15 191 down another 24 lbs.

25. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

I could be mistaken LittleLadyRock, but I did not think the posts from KaychiB and JMiller were a response to you or anything you wrote. More a general response to all the bashing in general that came from others. From how I saw it you only gave your point of view & experience. I think others may have questioned their honesty or motive in posting a less than glowing report. It happens, Dr. A has a fan base that can be pretty intense & some don't react kindly to posters who report problems.

Again, I may have got it wrong but that is how I read it.