Surgeon
    Dr. Arellano
    Last Activity
    10-12-2015 12:22 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 12 Times

Default My Experience with Long Term VSG $2,999 all inclusive

I got back yesterday from Mexico and I know I've had some people curious about Long Term VSG since it's a newer company and not very many reviews. I'll tell anyone who's interested about my entire experience.
    My mom came with me, she was more nervous than I was about going to Mexico. We flew to San Diego last Friday morning and Annette the driver picked us up. We had to wait for 2 other patients that were flying in that morning also. Once everyone arrived, we drove around 20 mins to the clinic. It's a very small clinic, but that just meant that we had everyone's attention. The 3 of us were given gowns and set up in our rooms and they started the pre-surgery blood work and testing. The nurses were nice and spoke English. After a while the cardiologist came in to do the EKG and then we met with the anesthesiologist and Ruben the coordinator, and Dr. Mayortena came around to talk to us and ask us if we had any questions. He explained the surgery a bit and talked about post-op care. I was first of the 3 surgeries and the nurse came in to give me some medicine in the IV and something to relax me... it completely knocked me out. I guess they came to get me and I walked to the surgery room, but I have no recollection of it. The next thing I remember is waking up in recovery and my mom telling me that they were taking her to the hotel. I should mention that they also took very good care of my mom also. She is a diabetic and has to eat at a very set schedule and they made sure she got all her meals. They had menus for her to order from and took care of paying for her meals as well.
    I was up and walking around 1 1/2 hours after surgery. I didn't feel very much pain, only a little bit where they put the drain. The other 2 ladies had their surgery and we all we up and chatting afterwards. One of them had more nausea and she was having a little harder time, but thankfully I didn't have any nausea. We slept at the clinic that night, I didn't get much sleep only because I'm a very light sleeper and one of the nurses was a little chatty. I just took advantage of being awake and walked as much as I could. The next day Dr. Mayortena came back to check on us and see how were and answer any questions. The clinic manager came to have my pay the balance that was owed (I brought along a cashiers check) and then they took us to a recovery house. It was a few mins away from the clinic and in a very nice neighborhood. The house was very clean and set up for us. We each had our own separate room with our own TV (American Direct TV so I had all my channels) They even let my mom stay in an extra bed, although they had a recliner in each room and a futon in the living room and I would assume that's where the guests are supposed to stay. The nurses there were very nice and we had a nurse and doctor on staff all night long for just the 3 of us patients. They did a second leak test 24 hours after surgery at the recovery house. Dr. Mayortena also called throughout the day to check in on us. They also had a menu for my mom to order from and made sure she was taken care of. They never even asked her to pay for her meals.
    Yesterday we had our drains removed and we were given our prescriptions - We all chose to just get them filled there instead of trying to find a pharmacy in the US that would fill Spanish prescriptions. We paid $90 and then we were on our way back. My mom and I had a flight leaving at 2:40 and thankfully it was only 1 hour. I was pretty tired so I got home and just crashed. The other 2 ladies were staying one night in a hotel in San Diego and they were heading home today.
    I feel good. A little bit of pain, but I haven't taken anything yet today. I'm going to take an ibuprofen in a little while. Otherwise I'm up, doing laundry and so glad to be back at my house. I'm trying to stay hydrated and I'll go out and pick up some protein powders this afternoon to work on getting my protein in while I'm on the clear liquids. I'm excited to get this weight loss and the new me going!

Overall, I was very impressed with Long Term VSG. If anyone has any questions about his company I'm happy to talk to anyone. They treated me and my mom like members of their family.

I forgot to mention, they had WIFI at both the clinic and the recovery house. I downloaded an ap "Freetone" and was able to call any number in the US via wifi.

2. Said thanks:

3. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Butch
    Surgery date
    11/13/2014
    Surgeon
    Craig Floch
    Last Activity
    10-05-2020 07:49 PM
    Said "Thanks" 4 Times
    Was Thanked 40 Times in 21 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

Default Re: My Experience with Long Term VSG $2,999 all inclusive

This sounds like a great experience all around!

Surgery date
    01/20/2015
    Last Activity
    05-11-2015 02:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

I am curious as to why people are still going to Mexico to get sleeved? I know it hasn't been around but a few years but I see that people are still traveling to Mexico. Congratulations on your outcome so far! I'm glad you had a pleasant experience!

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kimmie3 View Post
    I am curious as to why people are still going to Mexico to get sleeved?
    People still travel to Mexico to get sleeved because:

1. One-third of health insurance policies in the US will not pay for the gastric sleeve

2. Some Canadians would rather be sleeved now than linger on a waiting list for a year or two in their home provinces just to receive the procedure, so they fly to Mexico to have it done.

3. Those of us who have insurance companies that actually cover the gastric sleeve must jump through a bunch of red tape and prequalifications. Getting sleeved in Mexico cuts out the red tape.

4. Some of us insured people must still pay through the nose if we want to be sleeved here in the states. I have a 90/10 plan through Blue Cross/Blue Shield of Texas, meaning they pay 90 percent and I pay 10 percent. The hospital fee was $24,000; my out-of-pocket portion was $2,400 (10 percent). I also paid for a cardiac clearance ($650), a preop appointment ($400) and a myriad of copays for nutritional consults, sleep study, psychological evaluation, etc. I estimate I've paid $4,000 out of pocket so far to be sleeved here in the US, and I'm insured, whereas I could have cut out the red tape and paid the same amount to be sleeved in Mexico.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

7. Said thanks:

Surgery date
    01/20/2015
    Last Activity
    05-11-2015 02:14 PM
    Said "Thanks" 1 Times
    Was Thanked 15 Times in 10 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 6 Times
    Blog Entries

Oh Ok....That makes perfect sense. I had no idea that it was easier because of Insurance. Insurance companies are a JOKE! I got lucky and had my surgery 3 months after my first appointment. My doctor knew a few short cuts. I am glad to hear that it isn't because the surgeons are more knowledgable there! I wish the Insurance companies would stop all of this pre this and pre that crap! As much as we all pay for health insurance, it is crazy!!! Then, we have a list of physician's that are in-network that we have to use. It is nonsense! Thanks so much for your information!!!

9. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member kittykakes's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/19/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. E. Ortiz
    Last Activity
    07-07-2015 11:45 AM
    Said "Thanks" 20 Times
    Was Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 11 Times

So happy to hear everything went smoothly for you! Can't wait to see updates on you progress!

Gastric Sleeve Member SlimmingSara's Avatar
    Surgery date
    05/08/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Arellano
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Yes that was my scenario exactly. I would've spent around $7400 to have the surgery here and I would've had to wait 6 months.

Surgery date
    05/08/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Arellano
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by kittykakes View Post
    So happy to hear everything went smoothly for you! Can't wait to see updates on you progress!
    Thank you for the good vibes. I can't wait to be on this site offering advice about the weight loss portion of this journey. I love the connection everyone makes since we're all on this journey together!

Gastric Sleeve Member RehabNurse's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/20/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Smith
    Last Activity
    02-08-2020 09:38 PM
    Said "Thanks" 695 Times
    Was Thanked 1,491 Times in 728 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 905 Times
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SlimmingSara View Post
    I love the connection everyone makes since we're all on this journey together!
    Yes, I agree. This has become my virtual support group to keep myself honest, answer other peoples' questions, and give/receive well-wishes.

10/23/14 Initial Consult 200 lb, 5'1 tall
    4/6/15 Highest Wt 225 (yes: 25 lb gain)
    4/20/15 Surgery Wt 218, BMI 41

1 mo 203.0 -15
    2 mo 190.5 -12.5
    3 mo 184.5 -6
    4 mo 177.0 -7.5
    5 mo 171.0 -6
    6 mo 164.5 -6.5
    7 mo 157.5 -7
    8 mo 152.5 -5
    9 mo 149 -3.5
    10 m 143 -6
    11 m 142 -1
    1 yr 138.5 -3.5
    13 m 133 -5.5
    14 m 128 -5
    15 m 125 -3
    16 m 121 -4
    17 m 120 -1
    18 m 118 -2

Dec '17: BMI 23.5; consumes 2000+ kcal/day

Surgery date
    07/13/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr.Maytorena
    Last Activity
    07-18-2016 07:01 PM
    Said "Thanks" 23 Times
    Was Thanked 14 Times in 12 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 211 Times

Congrats to you I'm currently talking with the coordinator Ruben he has been very helpful and I was waiting for you to post about your experience. My insurance does not offer a weight loss benefit and that's sad. I was just telling my husband about the wonderful experience you have had keep me up to date if I have any questions can I email you?

Surgery date
    11/05/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr. Alejandro Lopez
    Said "Thanks" 114 Times
    Was Thanked 213 Times in 187 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 108 Times

I'm glad you are doing so well, thank you for posting that detailed report. Sounds like you had a great experience!

Gastric Sleeve Member MaggieMay2015's Avatar
    Name
    Maggie May or May Not
    Surgery date
    06/29/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr Almanza
    Last Activity
    02-05-2018 05:23 PM
    Said "Thanks" 46 Times
    Was Thanked 35 Times in 30 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 145 Times
    Blog Entries

I'm so glad for you! It sounds like you had an amazing experience, what a way to kick off your journey ! Best wishes !!
    ��

Surgery date
    05/08/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Arellano
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times

Quote Originally Posted by kiaka52 View Post
    Congrats to you I'm currently talking with the coordinator Ruben he has been very helpful and I was waiting for you to post about your experience. My insurance does not offer a weight loss benefit and that's sad. I was just telling my husband about the wonderful experience you have had keep me up to date if I have any questions can I email you?
    Yes I'd be happy to email or talk to you. I'm not very good at maneuvering around this forum, but if you private message me I'll send you my email.

Gastric Sleeve Member SoReady4Change's Avatar
    Name
    Sherry
    Surgery date
    06/04/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Almanza
    Last Activity
    11-07-2016 02:35 PM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 12 Times in 8 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 694 Times
    Blog Entries

Congrats to you. I sent them an email and it took forever to respond, so of course I thought about customer service. I also attempted to find info on the Dr and was unable to so that didn't sit well with me. I am glad you are doing fine and thanks for sharing.

Gastric Sleeve Member RaginCajun's Avatar
    Surgery date
    04/16/2015
    Surgeon
    Dr. Robert Richard
    Last Activity
    01-09-2016 11:28 AM
    Said "Thanks" 2 Times
    Was Thanked 30 Times in 18 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Glad to hear you had a positive experience, and they really took good care of your mom!

One thing tho, it seems as tho that clinic and Doc ALWAYS configure a drain line as part of the VSG procedure. Thats odd, because in US generally its the exception not the rule.

But, as I didn't have a drain, don't know if thats a plus or a minor.

Cheers!

-RC-