09/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-28-2015 03:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 169 Times
    Was Thanked 59 Times in 54 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times

Default Back Pain - 4 days out - upper and mid back sore - wondering why and what to do ? any ideas

I am wondering if this is gas still but that seemed to all release after surgury before i came home. i wonder if bc of the tenderness around my stomach i am sitting or standing different. my back is definitely sore. Like it feels good to crunch and hunch over a bit. i got the exercise ball out and did some inverse sitting and the yoga cat cow poses. i am not in pain around my stomach at all so dont want to take any pain reliever if i can help it. i still have to take my fun antibiotic which will be heard to swallow again. i dont know if i can do another pill too.

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Marna
    Surgery date
    08/30/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Vohra
    Last Activity
    11-22-2011 09:38 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 24 Times in 19 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 24 Times

Default Re: Back Pain - 4 days out - upper and mid back sore - wondering why and what to do ? any ideas

It sounds like gas. I had that as well and it could last at least a week sometimes more. Try some gas x strips. I live by them.

Hope you feel better.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Name
    Kay
    Surgery date
    09/01/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr.Almanza
    Last Activity
    12-26-2012 03:24 PM
    Said "Thanks" 135 Times
    Was Thanked 86 Times in 75 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 79 Times

Default Re: Back Pain - 4 days out - upper and mid back sore - wondering why and what to do ? any ideas

it could be gas, or maybe you slept funny and have one of those kinks? i know i had to get used to sleeping on my back (i'm a tummy or a right side sleeper) and it hurt my back to be on my back the whole time sleeping... either way, hope you feel better soon , i imagine that it's uncomfortable to deal with on top of your freshly cut tummy...

Surgery date
    07/26/2011
    Last Activity
    01-04-2015 03:16 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 46 Times in 38 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times

Antibiotics are very important so make sure you take them. I had to take them for 10days when I got home. I had slight shoulder pain every now and then for a few weeks out but nothing too bad. The only excerising you can do is "walking" for 6 weeks. You have to let your staple line heal completely. No yoga or bouncing around...take it easy. I felt really good the day after the surgery and up until now...but I was very cautious about everything I did. I work for a doctor and a nurse and they made sure I didnt over do anything. The fact we cant take Motrin or aspirin I was afraid I would get a back ache or headache if I over did anything, so I was very cautious. I use to live on Motrin and aspirin before the surgery. Havent had to take either since the surgery.

Gastric Sleeve Member sleeve-me's Avatar
    Name
    Bette
    Surgery date
    09/10/2011
    Surgeon
    Almanza
    Last Activity
    09-28-2015 03:41 PM
    Said "Thanks" 169 Times
    Was Thanked 59 Times in 54 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 33 Times

good info janese - the yoga pose i mentioned is very very smal movement of back - nothing major at at - just something to release stress. actually it really helped after surgury to release most of the gas. i will try gas x again that could be it. thanks all

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    06/24/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr. Mario Almanza
    Last Activity
    01-02-2013 04:37 PM
    Said "Thanks" 18 Times
    Was Thanked 4 Times in 4 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 9 Times

I agree with the other posters above. Also, make sure that you are drinking enough fluids. Sometimes you will get that pain in your back especially around your kidney area if you are a bit dehydrated. Try ice chips or frozen pedialyte pops. you can also freeze gatoraid and use it as ice pops to help you get your fluid in. If water is tasting nasty to you, try adding crystal light to your water. Just try to get your 64 ounces of fluid in. Also, monitor your bowel movements. Sometimes the body slows down after anesthesia. Use your mik-of-mag if you have to.

Make sure and walk as much as you can whenever you can. This really helps to move the gas.

Good luck to you. It gets easier with time.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Last Activity
    07-03-2012 04:12 AM
    Said "Thanks" 0 Times
    Was Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 2 Times

I would still suggest that you get better guidance and consultation from your doctors. They shall surely help you regarding your back pain.