Surgeon
    Lana Nelson
    Last Activity
    06-16-2015 05:27 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 0 Times

Default But, I love food!

I am in the process of getting surgery, but I often have doubts. On thing that worries me is my love for food.
    I turn to food for comfort, I get excited about eating, I look forward to meals, food makes me happy! I do have a past of depression (which is why I turned to food and gained so much weight) and I'm afraid that after surgery when I can no longer eat a lot and what I love that I will get depressed again.
    What do y'all think? Has this happened to anybody else? I dîd see the clinic's psychiatrist and she did tell me that depression can return. Any help is appreciated!

2. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member MamaPope77's Avatar
    I have had a gastric sleeve.
    Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    11/05/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. Daniel Swartz
    Last Activity
    12-31-2015 02:40 PM
    Said "Thanks" 15 Times
    Was Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1,362 Times

Default Re: But, I love food!

It was very difficult for me to loose one of my best friends (food) but ultimatley my health is much more important to me. Now, I eat to live and not live to eat. I wish you the best with your journey.

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 138 Times

You raise a very valid point. I on the other hand was so OVER food by the time I had WLS. It was like the bad boyfriend that gave temporary pleasure but made me miserable and was wrecking my life. I think it is very smart of you to tackle this topic pre WLS to the extent you can. The emotional pressure created by restricting eating, the physical changes with weight loss etc is not something to underestimate...
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

Name
    Heather
    Surgery date
    10/14/2013
    Surgeon
    Dr.Selim
    Last Activity
    06-08-2016 01:58 PM
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times
    Was Thanked 272 Times in 222 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 97 Times
    Blog Entries

I love food too! Maybe more now that I'm not RULED by it! I love the fact that I can focus on quality over quantity now and because of that everything tastes better! No more "fake food" for me! I'm I'm only going to get a few bites I make them count! If I over do it there are painful consequences, (sooo not worth it). The "food as comfort" is definitely something you'll need to deal with. It can be hard to "let go". That's just how I choose to view it now.

Don't worry about hurting my feelings because I guarantee you not one bit of my self esteem is tied up in your acceptance.

Gastric Sleeve Member Back2Beauty's Avatar
    Surgery date
    06/08/2015
    Surgeon
    Lana Nelson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Thank you. I'm seeing my regular psychiatrist on Monday and see what he thinks. My family doctor told me to just eat right and not have surgery. Ha! If only it was that easy!!

7. Gastric Sleeve Surgery With Weight Loss Agents
    Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    12/12/2011
    Surgeon
    Dr Landerholm
    Last Activity
    02-13-2018 09:44 PM
    Said "Thanks" 9 Times
    Was Thanked 457 Times in 339 Posts

That is exactly how I see it. I think I actually love food more now, but in a healthier way. I won't eat low quality crap. I'd rather go hungry than eat out of a drive through (garbage can dispensing something they call food). I eat more than a few bites, but I do eat small, and I eat quality. Who ever dreamed of a world where a small but deliscious shrimp skewer could be a whole meal? Or that a few small medallions of a finely prepared wild caught duck would be just heavenly (who needs the rice or any of that?) and satisfying.

the key things is that even though i love food, I don't use it mindlessly. It doesn't give me comfort, it isn't a substitute for love, stress release and it has nothing to do with how I feel about myself as a human. It is just plain food, that is all.

Quote Originally Posted by bikrchk View Post
    I love food too! Maybe more now that I'm not RULED by it! I love the fact that I can focus on quality over quantity now and because of that everything tastes better! No more "fake food" for me! I'm I'm only going to get a few bites I make them count! If I over do it there are painful consequences, (sooo not worth it). The "food as comfort" is definitely something you'll need to deal with. It can be hard to "let go". That's just how I choose to view it now.
    308# 12/1/2011 Start of Preop Diet
    300# 12/12/11 Lapband to Sleeve revision
    158# Feb 2013 - GOAL lost 150# 14 months post op
    150# 10/14/2013 - Plastics Dr Sauceda in Monterrey Mexico; removed 5.5# of skin
    140# Apr 2014 - maintaining 168# weight loss currently. Very happy with my sleeve and plastics results!

Gastric Sleeve Member
    Surgery date
    04/15/2014
    Surgeon
    David Tichansky, MD
    Last Activity
    06-20-2016 08:11 AM
    Said "Thanks" 30 Times
    Was Thanked 31 Times in 15 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 1 Times

Hiya Back,

In getting my preop psychological clearance, my therapist (who knew me well already as an established patient) asked me how I was going to reconcile my love for food with life after the sleeve. I thought carefully for a minute, and answered:

"I love food. I love me more."

Now, 18 months after I figured that out, I still call on that line in my weaker moments. Maybe it will help you?

Best of luck!

Surgery date
    04/29/2014
    Surgeon
    David Schroeder
    Last Activity
    12-26-2015 07:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

I love it too :-)

Two things I've found - firstly, at around three months post op, I found I could eat anything. Pizza, chips, I could tolerate anything, healthy or not. I then had to make a bit of an effort NOT to eat unhealthy foods. But, secondly, the surgery does something to your brain (not just me, I watched two documentaries on it a few years ago), so food becomes not so all-consuming (pardon the pun), as it used to be.

Now, I feel like I have a "normal" person's brain. I can take food or leave it. I still enjoy it (just had some delicious French cheese, had a few chocolate biscuits earlier, hell, I'm on holiday), I just don't desire it so much. I'm satisfied with a taste, and then something switches in my brain and I simply don't want any more. Like today, I had three chocolate biscuits and I didn't want any more. Before, I would eat the whole packet without thinking about it. Now, I realise that I used to be addicted to food - I desired it, craved it, and hated feeling denied it when on a diet. Now, I'm really ambivalent about it. It took me 8 months to eat chocolate, which I used to eat daily. I struggled with every diet, feeling denied so many foods that I desperately craved. Now, I know that I can eat anything I want, I simply choose not to. I have a control over food that I simply never had before.

It's like two different people in that respect - who I was pre-sleeve and post-sleeve. So, don't worry, you will still be able to eat anything. The difference is that you'll be satisfied with a much smaller amount, and you simply won't crave those foods like you used to. Oh, and losing loads of weight is a great motivator ��
    1 month post op - 17.2kg/37lbs/2.7st lost
    2 months - 8.6kg/18lbs/1.37st
    3 months - 5.1kg/11lbs
    4 months - 5kg/11lbs
    5 months - 4.1kg/9lbs
    6 months - 4.5kg/9lbs
    73.1=50kg 7/12/14
    72.8kg=8st 10/12/14
    68.1=55kg,SURGEON'S GOAL!! & "normal" BMI - 20 Jan 15

66kg=9st, MY GOAL!!! 12 Feb 2015!!!

Surgery date
    06/08/2015
    Surgeon
    Lana Nelson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Thank you! That helps. I went to see my psychiatrist today and he told me I should just go to Overeaters Anonomous and go from there. He believes everything should be natural with our body. I'm just confused on what to do.

Gastric Sleeve Member pattersonviv's Avatar
    Name
    Viv
    Surgery date
    12/11/2014
    Surgeon
    Grant Coulter
    Last Activity
    09-18-2017 02:07 PM
    Said "Thanks" 10 Times
    Was Thanked 29 Times in 25 Posts
    Blog Entries

I totally understand where you are coming from. I had a food funeral that lasted about a month pre surgery before I had the pre op diet - when I ate whatever I felt like because I thought I would miss out on food (pre-surgery missing out was the worst thing). Post surgery you do miss out. Especially those first few months when your body is healing but it is a psychological right of passage. Then as Skibabe says your mind changes. For me this is because my mind will order something and the sleeve will not appreciate it - so in some ways your body trains your mind. I'll think spice would be nice and my sleeve says, NO.....That's been my experience. Still early days for me but I'm hoping the lessons I'm learning at this stage hang around for a while. Lots of people said to me it will be totally different once you have had the sleeve and it's true, you just have to have faith.

Surgery date
    04/29/2014
    Surgeon
    David Schroeder
    Last Activity
    12-26-2015 07:13 PM
    Said "Thanks" 145 Times
    Was Thanked 106 Times in 82 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 4 Times

Quote Originally Posted by Back2Beauty View Post
    Thank you! That helps. I went to see my psychiatrist today and he told me I should just go to Overeaters Anonomous and go from there. He believes everything should be natural with our body. I'm just confused on what to do.
    Hmm, I respectfully disagree :-) I would say, see how you go post-surgery. If you feel you still have an issue, by all means go. But, for me, it's like I have a pre-sleeve me, and a now-me. I feel totally different psychologically, in terms of my relationship with food. So I've honestly found it easy, psychologically as well as physically. As regards natural foods, I find now that that is what I want now anyway, unlike before the surgery. I honestly feel my relationship with food is the opposite now to how it was before the surgery.
    1 month post op - 17.2kg/37lbs/2.7st lost
    2 months - 8.6kg/18lbs/1.37st
    3 months - 5.1kg/11lbs
    4 months - 5kg/11lbs
    5 months - 4.1kg/9lbs
    6 months - 4.5kg/9lbs
    73.1=50kg 7/12/14
    72.8kg=8st 10/12/14
    68.1=55kg,SURGEON'S GOAL!! & "normal" BMI - 20 Jan 15

66kg=9st, MY GOAL!!! 12 Feb 2015!!!

Name
    Chris
    Surgery date
    01/26/2015
    Surgeon
    Meng- g Martin, Lee Dr.
    Last Activity
    03-21-2017 12:15 PM
    Said "Thanks" 14 Times
    Was Thanked 28 Times in 24 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 7 Times
    Blog Entries

I think it depends. I don't know how severe your food love is, but have you had your psych eval yet. I would say before you have surgery you really need to get that under control. Yes our hunger goes away (mostly), you will still have to deal with head hunger and lots of emotions. I am not saying do not have it. I am just saying you need to get somethings under control before you do.

Surgery date
    12/01/2014
    Surgeon
    Dr. David Brown
    Last Activity
    04-25-2016 01:09 PM
    Said "Thanks" 277 Times
    Was Thanked 83 Times in 70 Posts
    Said "Welcome to Gastric Sleeve" 51 Times

I echo many of the comments from above and have little to add (that hasn't been said.) I will say that most people don't realize that this is also a metabolic surgery (the sleeve.) Our hunger hormones (ghrelin and leptin) get way out of wack when we are overweight. They are much more powerful than I ever imagined. My surgeon told me less than 1% of people who are 100 lbs. overweight lose all of the weight AND keep it off on their own. I don't say this to discourage you but to encourage you. I always thought I was hungry all the time and thinking about food all the time because I was weak. As soon as I had the surgery I was astounded at how little interest I had in food. This was because of the food hormones being blunted by the surgery. They start to return about 1 year after surgery so you do need to learn to have healthy habits but it made all of the difference for me. I knew by how I felt after surgery that it was not just my weakness that caused me to eat like I did. Our hunger hormones play a huge role. Good luck to you in your journey no matter which path you choose.
    Reason: wrong word

sraebaer
    Guest   Change Avatar!

I love food too, food makes me happy! You aren't giving up food! We eat out all the time. Hubby cooks gourmet meals. The only difference is I eat less now, and am regular-sized. But that in no way makes food less enjoyable.

Surgery date
    06/08/2015
    Surgeon
    Lana Nelson
    Last Activity
    Said "Thanks" 3 Times

Thanks everybody! Please answer this: what about getting all your protein and vitamins in? How do you do it?